Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Titan Sub Owner's Friend Accuses Him Of Knowingly Committing 'Murder' In Blunt Interview

Karl Stanley, Titan submersible, Stockton Rush
60 Minutes Australia

In an interview with '60 Minutes Australia,' Karl Stanley, a close friend of OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush, had some harsh words about the Titan submersible tragedy.

Make us preferred on Google

Weeks after the Titanic expedition submersible tragedy, people are still talking about the disaster after it was revealed the ill-fated vessel suffered a "catastrophic implosion."

A close friend of the Titan sub owner–OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush, who was onboard the vessel when he died in the depths of the Atlantic with four other passengers–claimed Rush created a "mousetrap for billionaires."


Each passenger paid OceanGate $250,000 to board the chartered Titan sub to explore the remains of the Titanic wreckage.

In an interview on Sunday with 60 Minutes Australia, Karl Stanley—who is a submarine operator who was one of the first passengers onboard the Titan submersible–accused Rush of murdering his passengers in what ended up being the Titan's final voyage.

Said Stanley:

“He definitely knew it was going to end like this.”
“He quite literally and figuratively went out with the biggest bang in human history that you could go out with, and, who was the last person to murder two billionaires at once, and have them pay for the privilege?”

You can view highlights from Stanley's interview here.

When asked if Rush had a "death wish," Stanley responded with:

“The only question in my mind, the only question is when."
"He was risking his life and his customers’ lives to go down in history."
"He’s more famous now than anything else he would have ever done.”

Stanley recalled being concerned when he went on a past descent with Rush and heard “loud gunshot-like noises” every few minutes as they plunged into the depths.

He continued:

“That’s a heck of a sound to hear when you’re that far under the ocean in a craft that has only been down that deep once before."

Stanley said Rush dismissed his concerns after alerting him to "an area of the hull that is breaking down," fearing that it would “only get worse."

You can watch the full interview here.

youtu.be

Viewers found Stanley's statements about his late "friend" to be jarring.





Users couldn't help but notice Stanley's peculiar fashion choice while discussing his critical assessment of the disaster.



People also commented on the interviewer's controlled expression while listening to Stanley's jaw-dropping responses.




As another tactic to instill fear about the submersible, Stanley claimed:

“I literally painted a picture of his wrecked sub at the bottom and even that wasn’t enough."
“There’s no doubt in my mind that it was the carbon fiber tube that was the mechanical part that failed.”

When Stanley was asked his expert opinion about what was the fatal flaw of the Titan that ultimately led to its destruction, he said:

"There's no doubt in my mind it was the carbon fiber tube that was the mechanical part that failed."

Stanley confirmed it was the sound of the tube cracking that he tried warning Rush about.

The deceased Titan passengers had previously signed a waiver before boarding that mentioned the word, "death," eight times.

After five days of searching for the passengers who were initially reported as missing, Coast Guard officials announced that debris was discovered that was "consistent with a catastrophic implosion."

OceanGate issued a statement that said, in part:

"We now believe that our CEO Stockton Rush, Shahzada Dawood and his son Suleman Dawood, Hamish Harding, and Paul-Henri Nargeolet, have sadly been lost."
"Our hearts are with these five souls and every member of their families during this tragic time."
"We grieve the loss of life and joy they brought to everyone they knew."

More from Trending

Kevin McHale Furiously Hits Back At Fan Speculation That 'Glee' Was Cursed Due To Cast Deaths: 'Get F—ked'
Kristina Bumphrey/Variety via Getty Images; John Medina/WireImage

Kevin McHale Furiously Hits Back At Fan Speculation That 'Glee' Was Cursed Due To Cast Deaths: 'Get F—ked'

It's often said that the beloved 2010s Fox show Glee is cursed because so many of its stars have died or been involved in harrowing scandals since the show aired.

And star Kevin McHale is not having it.

Keep ReadingShow less
screenshot from Fox News "The Five"
Fox News

Fox News Host Ripped After Claiming 'Reacher' Star Alan Ritchson's Hatred For Trump Is 'Eating Him Alive'

Actor Alan Ritchson, the 6'3" tower of muscle that stars in the series Reacher, angered MAGA minions after criticizing their idol, Republican President Donald Trump, his administration, and his enablers on a pair of podcasts.

Explaining his political views during an appearance on the Happy Sad Confused podcast, Ritchson said:

Keep ReadingShow less
Pete Hegseth
Aaron Schwartz / AFP via Getty Images

Defense Department Roasted After Posting And Then Deleting Tweet About 'Winning' Trump's Iran War That's A Self-Own For The Ages

The Defense Department is facing criticism after the official X account for the Under Secretary of War posted a tweet about the U.S. military "winning" the Iran war with a caption that undermined the sentiment before later deleting it.

The post included a graphic showing soldiers mid-operation with the words "WINNING" prominently displayed along with a caption that said:

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump; one of the two The Arts of Peace statues stands near Lincoln Memorial
Aaron Schwartz / AFP via Getty Images; Alex Wong/Getty Images

Trump Just Renovated Several Historic DC Sculptures—And People Are Furious Over Their Gaudy New Look And Price Tag

President Donald Trump has angered critics following his renovation of several historic sculptures in Washington, D.C., that fit his taste for gold decor.

The Arts of War and The Arts of Peace are two bronze, fire-gilded sculpture groups that flank Lincoln Memorial Circle in West Potomac Park. Originally commissioned in 1929 to accompany the eastern plaza of the Lincoln Memorial and the approaches to the Arlington Memorial Bridge, budget constraints delayed the project for decades.

Keep ReadingShow less
Hannah Berner attends "The Devil Wears Prada 2" New York premiere.
Dia Dipasupil/Getty Images

Comedian Hannah Berner's Botox Treatment For TMJ Disorder Has Fans Cackling After It Caused A Hilariously Awkward Side-Effect

Hannah Berner's latest comedy bit wasn't exactly planned. After getting injections to help with her TMJ, the comedian found herself temporarily unable to smile, a side effect she quickly transformed into viral entertainment.

For those who don't know, Berner is one half of the hit comedy podcast Giggly Squad, which she co-hosts with longtime friend Paige DeSorbo. The pair spend each episode making fun of everything from pop culture and everyday life to themselves, so it's no surprise Berner found a way to turn an awkward mishap into a joke.

Keep ReadingShow less