Most Read

News

Adult Film Star Arrested After Photographer Dies From Inhaling Toxic Toad Venom In His Home

Miquel Benitez/Getty Images

Spanish porn star Nacho Vidal was arrested among two others on Friday following 11 months of investigation in connection to the death of a fashion photographer who inhaled toad venom during a shamanic ritual.

The adult film star expressed his sorrow over the allegedly accidental death but maintained his innocence.

Local authorities said that in July 2019, photographer José Luis Abad used a pipe to inhale vapors from the toxic bufo alvarius toad—also known as the Colorado Toad.

The ritual took place at Vidal's home in the Valencian town of Enguera.

Vidal and the two additional suspects—a man and a woman—were arrested on suspicion of involuntary manslaughter and violating public health laws.

The Spanish police issued a statement, saying that the "apparently harmless ancestral ritual" could be a "serious threat to public health."

"Officers began the investigation after the death of a person during a mystical ritual involving the inhalation of vapours from the venom of the bufo alvarius toad,
"At the conclusion of an 11-month investigation, we have been able to establish that an offence of involuntary manslaughter and a public health offence had occurred, allegedly committed by those who organised and presided over the ritual."

The statement added that the ceremony involved:

"highly suggestible people who were especially vulnerable and were seeking alternative ways to cure certain ailments or addictions.."

The BBC reported that all three suspects were "released provisionally."

The amphibian—indigenous to northern Mexico and the southwestern United States—is known to excrete deadly toxins through its glands as its primary defense mechanism.

But the compound—known by scientists as 5-MeO-DMT—is said to induce an "intense psychedelic state" when consumed by users.

Also nicknamed the "God molecule," a 2019 study found that the natural psychedelic substance contained therapeutic properties that can potentially ease anxiety and depression, although research for its effects on people is still in its infancy.

People did not know what to make of the "mystical" ceremony that left a man dead.










The Spanish police also said that the inhalation of the toad's vapors is more dangerous than people think.

"This was a commonly practised activity carried out for therapeutic or medicinal ends, but which posed a serious threat to public health despite being dressed up as what appeared to be an apparently inoffensive ancestral ritual."

Vidal's lawyer, Daniel Salvador, said that the photographer "previously tried that substance and wanted to try it again" in a "comfortable" environment.

Salvador also denied suggestions that Vidal acted as a shaman during the ceremony.

Vidal's attorney—with Vosseler law firm—told La Vangaurdia:

"With all due respect to the dead man and his family, Nacho maintains that the consumption [of the venom] was completely voluntary."
"These events took place a year ago, and he fully sympathises with the family's pain at having to relive all these sad circumstances.
"Nacho Vidal has given the appropriate explanations before the investigating court and hopes to demonstrate his total innocence."

Vidal began his career starring in adult films dating back to 1997. He has starred in nearly 500 adult films.