Producer and director Glenn Weiss knows a thing or two about making dramatic television moments and last night he did not disappoint.
Weiss, who has been producing and directing live television shows for decades, and has won 12 Emmy Awards and six Directors Guild of America Awards for Outstanding Directorial Achievement, stunned the crowd on Sunday when he took a moment to propose to long-time girlfriend Jan Svendsen. As the crowd looked on Weiss said:
Jan, you are the sunshine in my life and mom was right, don't ever let go of your sunshine. You wonder why I don't like to call you my girlfriend? Because I want to call you my wife.
At that point, a tearful Svendsen made her way to the stage and the crowd got up on its feet and cheered. Weiss then dropped to one knee and presented her with his mother's ring. The moment was bitter-sweet as Weiss' mother had just passed away two weeks prior.
I want to put this ring that my mom wore on your finger in front of all these people and in front of my mom and your parents watching from above. Will you marry me?
Watch Glenn Weiss' live #Emmys proposal: "You wonder why I don't like to call you my girlfriend? Because I want to… https://t.co/URMPHg3ccn— Hollywood Reporter (@Hollywood Reporter)1537244893.0
It was the moment of all moments!
Literally everyone's reaction to Glenn Weiss's on-stage proposal at the #Emmys (@Lesdoggg) https://t.co/u6DFMafXXj— Lindsey Kupfer (@Lindsey Kupfer)1537234510.0
Woke up in 🏴 to my friend Glenn Weiss proposing to my friend JAN ON TV. Y'all don't know you know Jan, but yo… https://t.co/pQ137Zidmk— Lin-Manuel Miranda (@Lin-Manuel Miranda)1537261771.0
Here’s what Glenn Weiss’s proposal looked like inside theater — everyone on their feet just in awe it was really ha… https://t.co/F4Eo1q0JQo— Chris Gardner (@Chris Gardner)1537236187.0
I'm 95% cynic but that remaining 5% will always cry when a guy whose mom just died proposes with his late mother's… https://t.co/2c0YuhGid3— shauna (@shauna)1537234940.0
Glenn Weiss really made us have all the feels with this acceptance speech. It was down so low talking about his dep… https://t.co/d4oLMj6Qly— Danielle Turchiano (@Danielle Turchiano)1537234318.0
Meet the acceptance speech that saved the #Emmys, courtesy of the winner of Directing for a Variety Special Glenn W… https://t.co/gaxuvk95nZ— Michelle Collins (@Michelle Collins)1537234998.0
The photos spoke for themselves.
Did someone say #EMMYS PROPOSAL? https://t.co/z2epNdkaWz— Entertainment Weekly (@Entertainment Weekly)1537234560.0
The bar has just been set impossibly high.
Man that was the best speech ever! #emmys2018 https://t.co/KlXF6tJB66— Leslie Jones 🦋 (@Leslie Jones 🦋)1537234795.0
So I don’t want to hear anybody every again tell me about their “memorable” proposal story unless you can beat what… https://t.co/llGRJ1soqr— Prasanna Ranganathan (@Prasanna Ranganathan)1537234464.0
What?!? We just had an #EMMYS marriage proposal?!? She said yes!! I am crying!!!! #loveislove https://t.co/sAVB2AKaL4— Elizabeth Cherneff (@Elizabeth Cherneff)1537234460.0
Here what Weiss and Svendsen had to say in the video below.