Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Donald Trump Tried to Pretend Construction on His Border Wall Has Begun, but Buzzfeed Has the Receipts

On Wednesday, Donald Trump triumphantly tweeted the following, pretty clearly intending to announce "the start" of construction of his border wall.


Yet there, in fact, is no border wall under construction, and as Buzzfeed noted, these photos are from a previously announced repair to the California border fence at Calexico.

The project, which started in 2009, will replace a 2.25-mile section in the California-Mexico border wall, according to a statement last month from US Customs and Border Protection.

The original wall in that section, built in the 1990s, had been built from recycled metal scraps and old landing mat materials, the agency said.

"Although the existing wall has proven effective at deterring unlawful cross border activity, smuggling organizations damaged and breached this outdated version of a border wall several hundred times during the last two years," CBP said.

The project will replace the old wall with a 30-foot-high, bollard-style structure.

As Customs and Border Protection tweeted in February:

Trump's DHS chief tried to clarify Trump's tweet:

But as David Kim, assistant chief patrol agent for the Border Patrol’s El Centro sector, made clear when these photos were originally posted:

“We just wanted to get out in front of it and let everybody know that this is a local tactical infrastructure project that was planned for quite some time."

In other words, they should not be seen as "tied to some of the bigger immigration debates that are currently going on.”

Yet that's precisely what Trump was trying to imply with his tweet. Especially trying to save face after signing an omnibus bill that did not fund his border wall project, and that only allotted less than $1.6 billion for:

(1) 14 miles of secondary fencing, all of which provides for cross- barrier visual situational awareness, along the south-west border in the San Diego Sector;

(2) $445,000,000 for 25 miles of primary pedestrian levee fencing along thesouthwest border in the Rio Grande Valley Sector;

(3) $196,000,000 for primary pedestrian fencing along the southwest border in the Rio Grande Valley Sector;

(4) $445,000,000 for replacement of existing primary pedestrian fencing along the southwest border

In other words, not his wall at all.

Donald Trump quickly got called out on Twitter for his intentionally misleading tweet:

More from People/donald-trump

Chappell Roan
Gilbert Flores/Billboard via Getty Images

Chappell Roan Announces She's Leaving Talent Agency After CEO Is Named In Epstein Files

The United States Justice Department recently released risqué emails exchanged between a then-married Casey Wasserman and convicted sex offender Ghislaine Maxwell and others sent to child sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein.

The emails were contained in the files compiled during the investigation and indictment of both Maxwell and Epstein, her co-conspirator, registered sex offender and longtime friend of MAGA Republican President Donald Trump.

Keep ReadingShow less
Robert F Kennedy Jr.
C-SPAN

RFK Jr. Ripped After Giving Exteremely Telling Explanation For Why It's A 'Joy' To Work For Trump

Throughout his life, people who worked for or with MAGA Republican President Donald Trump got burned. Employees and contractors never got paid. Loyalty was repaid by being thrown under the bus to save his own skin.

The pattern continued into his public life. Members of Trump's first presidential administration were sacrificed and vilified to cover for Trump's failures and incompetence.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Piers Morgan and Megyn Kelly
Piers Morgan Uncensored

Megyn Kelly Claims 'Football Is Ours!' In Epic Tantrum Over Bad Bunny's Halftime Show

Far-right pundit Megyn Kelly had people shaking their heads after she threw a bonkers tantrum over Bad Bunny's Super Bowl halftime show performance, declaring that "football is ours!" and that the Puerto Rican rapper performing in Spanish was “a middle finger to the rest of America.”

The rapper, whose real name is Benito Antonio Martínez Ocasio, delivered a largely Spanish-language show that has been hailed as a "love letter to Puerto Rico" and that drew from his latest album, Debí Tirar Más Fotos, which won the Grammy for Album of the Year just a week ago.

Keep ReadingShow less
JB Pritzker; Donald Trump
Jacek Boczarski/Anadolu via Getty Images; Alex Wong/Getty Images

JB Pritzker Trolls Trump Hard By Hilariously Redacting White House Memo Urging Republicans Not To Panic

Illinois Governor JB Pritzker trolled President Donald Trump after the White House sent a memo to Republicans urging them not to panic ahead of the release of official economic data, which critics have accused officials of delaying to obscure the scope of the country''s economic downturn.

Layoffs surged in January, climbing to 108,435—the highest monthly total since 2009 and an increase of roughly 118 percent compared with the same time last year.

Keep ReadingShow less

People Describe The Fastest Divorces They've Ever Seen

"Happily Ever After" is a beautiful sentiment, but it's not the destiny for every couple.

In fact, some couples break up so quickly after getting married that some people wonder whether the happy couple married for love... or for a party.

Keep ReadingShow less