Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

LAPD Investigating After Homeless Man In Wheelchair Was Allegedly Shot In Face With Rubber Bullet

LAPD Investigating After Homeless Man In Wheelchair Was Allegedly Shot In Face With Rubber Bullet
MARK RALSTON/AFP via Getty Images

WARNING: The images contained in this article are graphic in nature and may be disturbing for some viewers.

A personnel investigation was initiated after a man was allegedly struck in the face by a rubber bullet as protestors faced off against Los Angeles police.


A witness told Buzzfeed News that the victim appeared to be in the line of fire.

Photos from the incident show the injured individual, believed to be a homeless man, lurched forward in his wheelchair with blood dripping down his face.

Josh Rubenstein—a spokesman for the LAPD—said:

"We are aware of the photo and the allegations and we are still trying to understand the context and circumstances around what happened."

The incident occurred on Tuesday evening during curfew in downtown Los Angeles.

With hundreds of protesters still in the streets, police began moving in to make arrests and take people into custody.

Sarah Reingewirtz, a photographer with Southern California News Group, was covering the protests that day when she first spotted the man near a group of demonstrators.

"You could see him sitting in the street, looking at everyone and he was fine."

The man—who was reported as not actively engaged in the protest—was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Reingewirtz told Buzzfeed:

"I heard one of the rubber bullets go off, and then [police] came up, and they told us to get back.
He looked like he might have been screaming."
"He was in between protesters and police, and I saw him in the street, bleeding."


The photographer began taking photos, capturing the man in the wheelchair with police in the background holding the rubber bullet launchers.



Advocates for the Black Lives Matter movement filed a lawsuit in federal court against the Los Angeles Police Department and its chief—alleging excessive force and civil rights violations against protestors.

According to BLM LA:

"the LAPD used force to terminate the protests, including the indiscriminate use of `less lethal' weapons that caused injury."

The man in the wheelchair was referred to as "Cincinatti" in the Complaint for Damages and Declaratory and Injunctive Relief.

The suit read:

"He pleaded with police not to use force on him before being shot in the face."
"But he was not the only disabled person in a wheelchair to be struck in the face by a rubber bullet as the LAPD enforced curfew laws and other misdemeanors in the last week."
"Most, if not all of these individuals, are unhoused and had no place they could go to avoid violating the curfew,
"They were all tightly handcuffed from the time they were arrested, transported across town to Brentwood, held for processing and then released, homeless on the streets of Los Angeles during a city-wide curfew,

The suit also alleged the LAPD's use of "kettling"—a detaining tactic that was used against the protestors who were left handcuffed for hours with no food, water, or access to bathrooms.

"All members of the arrest class were held in this manner for a minimum of several hours, with some held more than 12 hours in these excruciatingly painful conditions."

As of Friday, the LAPD said they had no updates on the injured victim.

"Unfortunately we can not speculate on what caused this individuals injury without further investigation."

More from Trending

Alec Baldwin; Elon Musk; Lupita Nyong'o
John Nacion/FilmMagic; Harun Ozalp/Anadolu via Getty Images; Bruce Glikas/WireImage

Alec Baldwin Just Effortlessly Shut Down Elon Musk's Criticism Of Christopher Nolan Casting Lupito Nyong'o In 'The Odyssey'

Once again Hollywood decided to cast a Black woman in a movie and once again conservatives are having a temper tantrum about it—especially Elon Musk.

The far-right weirdo had a full crashout on X about Lupita Nyong'o's casting as Helen of Troy in Christopher Nolan's forthcoming The Odyssey adaptation, leading many to rake him over the coals.

Keep ReadingShow less
Javier Bardem; Donald Trump
Samir Hussein/WireImage; Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

Javier Bardem Calls Out Trump's 'Male Toxic Behavior' In Fiery NSFW Rant—And He's Spot On

Oscar-winning actor Javier Bardem criticized President Donald Trump and other despotic world leaders at the Cannes Film Festival on Sunday, condemning the "male toxic behavior" they exhibit on a regular basis.

Bardem spoke while promoting director Rodrigo Sorogoyen's The Beloved, in which he stars as an acclaimed director forced to reckon with his distant relationship with his daughter. Bardem said the film is itself an exploration of toxic masculinity, namely “the bad education that we have received for many ages."

Keep ReadingShow less
Kimberly Guilfoyle
Nicolas Koutsokostas/NurPhoto via Getty Images

Kimberly Guilfoyle Gets Dragged Hard Over Her Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony In Greece For New McDonald's

U.S. Ambassador to Greece Kimberly Guilfoyle was widely mocked after gushing over a new McDonald's location at The Mall in Athens, referring to it as the "most technologically advanced McDonald's in all of Europe."

Guilfoyle took to social media with the following message, sharing photos from the ribbon-cutting ceremony:

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Eric Metaxas
@atrupar/X

Clip Of MAGA Speaker At Prayer Event Claiming God 'Raised Up' Trump To Build His Ballroom Is Peak MAGA

MAGA author and radio host Eric Metaxas was criticized after claiming that God "raised up" President Donald Trump after two centuries so he could build his new White House ballroom.

Last year, Trump ordered the demolition of the entire East Wing to make way for a 90,000 square-foot ballroom that will dwarf the size of the White House itself, sparking alarm from historical preservationists and the public alike.

Keep ReadingShow less
Pete Buttigieg; Sean Duffy
CNN; Eric Lee/Getty Images

Pete Buttigieg Perfectly Shames Sean Duffy Over His 'Road Trip' Reality Show With A Reminder Of His Own 'Taxpayer-Funded Road Trip'

On Friday, May 8, MAGA Republican President Donald Trump's Secretary of Transportation returned to his Fox News stomping grounds to announce a return to his reality TV roots with a five-part YouTube series. Duffy, who was a self-described party boy on MTV's Real World: Boston back in the 1990s, owes his name value to his time on reality TV.

Following his first stint in the Real World franchise, Duffy returned to compete on MTV Road Rules, later meeting his wife, Fox & Friends Weekend co-anchor Rachel Campos-Duffy—herself a notorious hard partier from Real World: San Francisco—on an installment of the program.

Keep ReadingShow less