Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

House Manager Had the Best Response After Trump Lawyer Said The Trial Was His 'Worst Experience in Washington'

House Manager Had the Best Response After Trump Lawyer Said The Trial Was His 'Worst Experience in Washington'
C-SPAN // congress.gov via Getty Images

On Friday, former President Donald Trump's defense team attempted to discredit House impeachment managers arguing in favor of Trump's conviction for inciting an insurrection after Trump's lies about the 2020 election led to the deadly January 6 insurrection at the United States Capitol.

Following a bumbling argument against the legitimacy of the trial on Monday, Trump's head defense lawyer—Michael Van Der Veen—attempted to redeem himself.


Van der Veen played a minutes-long montage of Democratic lawmakers, pundits, and celebrities saying the word "fight" and insisted against all evidence that Trump's lies about the election had nothing to do with the unprecedented domestic terrorist attack.

Lamenting the argument against Trump, Van Der Veen said:

"This is about one of the most miserable experiences I've had down here in Washington, D.C. There is nothing fun about it."

Lead impeachment manager Jamie Raskin (R-MD) had a terse response.

Watch below.

Raskin said:

"The counsel said before, 'This has been my worst experience in Washington' and for that I guess we are sorry, but you should have been here on January 6."

Nearly every lawmaker at the Capitol during the January 6 insurrection feared for their lives, and previously unreleased security camera footage showed the rioters came within feet of the lawmakers they were targeting.

Less than a week before the riot, Raskin announced that his 25 year old son, Thomas, had taken his own life. On the day of the insurrection, Raskin went with his daughter to the Capitol for the long-awaited joint session of Congress to nationally certify the victory of now-President Joe Biden.

His harrowing recollection is below.

Raskin painfully remembered his daughter saying she never wanted to visit the nation's Capitol again.

The Congressman's response to Van Der Veen's irreverence was hailed on Twitter.






For many, there was one appropriate sentiment:



After bombshell reporting detailing the mid-riot call between then-President Trump and House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) prompted the House Managers to call for the allowance of witnesses. The Senate passed that resolution 55-45, with Republican Senators Susan Collins of Maine, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, Mitt Romney of Utah, Ben Sasse of Nebraska and Lindsey Graham of South Carolina voting to allow it.

More from People/donald-trump

Serena Williams; Coco Gauff
Michael Buckner/Variety/Getty Images; Robert Prange/Getty Images

Serena Williams Offers Cheeky Advice To Coco Gauff After She Smashed Her Racket Following Australian Open Loss

There's no better person to take advice from than someone who's gone through exactly what you're going through right now. Having four Olympic Gold medals might not hurt, either.

While participating in the Australian Open quarterfinals, tennis star Coco Gauff was moved to tears when she lost the competition to Elina Svitolina. But the cameras kept rolling after she stepped off the court, revealing that she smashed her tennis racket out of frustration once alone in the back halls of the athletic center.

Keep ReadingShow less
TikToker Romeo Bingham; Dr. Pepper
@romeosshow/TikTok; Beata Zawrzel/NurPhoto/Getty Images

People Are Floored After Dr. Pepper Actually Uses TikToker's Catchy Jingle In Commercial

Let's be real: You'll never get what you want if you don't shoot your shot.

That was what TikToker Romeo Bingham decided when she was bored and suddenly came up with the idea for a new jingle for Dr. Pepper.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jennifer Grey Shares Poignant Thoughts After 'Dirty Dancing' Sequel Is Set To Start Filming—And Fans Are Thrilled
Taylor Hill/FilmMagic; Getty Images

Jennifer Grey Shares Poignant Thoughts After 'Dirty Dancing' Sequel Is Set To Start Filming—And Fans Are Thrilled

In 1987, audiences had the time of their lives when Dirty Dancing hit theaters. Nearly 40 years later, that story is officially stepping back onto the dance floor.

Lionsgate announced Tuesday, January 27, that Jennifer Grey will reprise her role as Frances “Baby” Houseman in an upcoming Dirty Dancing sequel. The project will be produced by The Hunger Games and Crazy Rich Asians producers Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson, with filming expected to begin later this year.

Keep ReadingShow less
TikTok logo
illustration by Cheng Xin/Getty Images

TikTok Now Claims A 'Power Outage' Is To Blame For The App's Massive Glitches—But The Internet Isn't So Sure

The new owners of U.S. TikTok—American investors to satisfy safety concerns about the app created by the Chinese technology company ByteDance—have an explanation for ongoing problems experienced by users beginning Sunday morning.

For context, MAGA Republican President Donald Trump infamously ranted about the app and vowed to permanently ban it from the United States during his first term in office.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Megyn Kelly; Picture of Alex Pretti from memorial
The Megyn Kelly Show; Octavio Jones/AFP via Getty Images

Megyn Kelly Slammed After Boasting About Why She Doesn't 'Feel Sorry' For ICE Shooting Victim Alex Pretti

Right-wing talk show host Megyn Kelly was slammed after she shared her reasons for not feeling "sorry" for ICU nurse Alex Pretti, who was fatally shot by ICE agents over the weekend.

Calls for an investigation have intensified from across the political spectrum after analysis of multiple videos showed ICE officers removing a handgun from Pretti—a weapon that authorities said Pretti was permitted to carry but was not handling at the time—before fatally shooting him.

Keep ReadingShow less