Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Arnold Schwarzenegger Admits He Tricked Sylvester Stallone Into Doing One Of His Biggest Flops

Arnold Schwarzenegger Admits He Tricked Sylvester Stallone Into Doing One Of His Biggest Flops
Axelle/Bauer-Griffin/FilmMagic/Getty Images

The two action stars competed for Hollywood roles in the '80s and '90s.

Make us preferred on Google

Actors Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone may be besties nowadays, but during their 1980s and 1990s Hollywood heyday, they were rivals, frequently competing for the same action-hero roles.

And it seems Schwarzenegger got pretty crafty about it back in the day, actually tricking Stallone into doing one of the biggest flops of his career, Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot.


The story of Arnie duping Sly into making the stinker has long been Hollywood legend, but in a recent interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Schwarzenegger confirmed that in this case the rumors are "100 percent true."

Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot paired Stallone with Golden Girls star Estelle Getty as a mom-and-son detective team that get into all sorts of hijinx trying to solve a murder Getty's titular Mom witnesses.

It went about as well as it sounds like it would, tanking at the box office and sitting very un-pretty at a 14% score on Rotten Tomatoes.

Legend has it that in hopes of getting Stallone to fumble into doing the film, Schwarzenegger leaked to the press that he had read the script and was interested in signing on--a gambit that worked handily. As Stallone told The Hollywood Reporter:

“I had heard Schwarzenegger was going to do that movie and I said, ‘I’m going to beat him to it. I think he set me up.”

And it turns out, he definitely was set up. Schwarzenegger told THR:

“It’s 100 percent true. In those days we did all kinds of crazy things to get ahead in our rivalry."
"Luckily for us and everyone else, today, we root for each other. Thank God, because we sure don’t ever need another ‘Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot.’”

Nowadays, the two are fast friends--the even carved pumpkins together last month, as Sly shared on Instagram.

And on social media, fans loved this tale of two Hollywood buddies' former status as conniving frenemies.








Stallone also said he and Schwarzenegger have bonded over their status as two of the last remaining true Hollywood action superstars, telling THR he told Arnie " We are the last two tyrannosaurus... So we better enjoy each other.”

More from Entertainment/tv-and-movies

Pete Hegseth
Jim Watson/AFP via Getty Images

Pete Hegseth's Past Comments About Hygiene Resurface After He's Caught On Video Running His Snotty Hands Through His Hair

Remarks about not having washed his hands "in 10 years" resurfaced after Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth was caught on video wiping his nose with his hands before immediately running those same hands through his hair.

Hegseth was seen doing just that while listening to Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent deliver remarks. Footage went viral after it was shared by progressive journalist Aaron Rupar.

Keep ReadingShow less
John Hinckley Jr. (left) shares a new message for Jodie Foster (right) 45 years after the assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan.
The Mark Joseph Show/YouTube; Gary Gershoff/WireImage

John Hinckley Jr. Shares New Message For Jodie Foster 45 Years After Shooting Ronald Reagan To Impress Her

Some Hollywood stories fade with time. The disturbing history connecting Jodie Foster and John Hinckley Jr. is not one of them. For those who don’t know, on March 30, 1981, Hinckley waited outside the Washington Hilton in Washington, D.C., where President Ronald Reagan had just addressed 5,000 members of the AFL-CIO.

As Reagan emerged from the hotel, Hinckley fired six shots from a revolver. One bullet ricocheted off Reagan’s limousine and struck him beneath his arm. White House Press Secretary James Brady, police officer Thomas Delahanty and Secret Service agent Timothy McCarthy were also wounded.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump; Scott MacFarlane
Jim Watson/AFP via Getty Images; CNN

Journalist Reveals Just How Much Money Has Been Diverted From National Parks For Trump's Vanity Projects—And People Are Livid

In a series of articles for MacFarlane News and MeidasTouch, videos, and an appearance on CNN, Chief Washington Correspondent for MeidasTouch Scott MacFarlane blew the whistle on MAGA Republican President Donald Trump’s raiding of National Park Service (NPS) funds. Aided by his Interior Secretary Doug Burgum, Trump diverted NPS money to pay for all of his White House and Washington D.C. vanity projects.

Trump’s hand-selected, mostly unwanted and unnecessary White House grounds and National Mall projects—things like a botched reflecting pool resurfacing, golden decor, a helipad, a ballroom, gilded statues, and giant flagpoles—alone took $423 million from major national parks across the country.

Keep ReadingShow less
Woman using hair tie
aire images/Getty Images

Engaged Woman Sparks Theories After Finding Strange Hair Tie Near Her And Fiancé's Home Entryway

Finding out that your partner is cheating doesn't always have to involve accidentally seeing a nefarious text message or walking in on the act. But sometimes, signs of what could be cheating might have a far stranger explanation.

Posting in the "Girl Dinner Diaries" subReddit, Redditor Jack-of-not posted a photo of an open-faced sandwich and explained what she'd discovered:

Keep ReadingShow less
Jenna Ortega
Esquire/X

Jenna Ortega Reveals Heartbreaking Reason She'd Go 'All Day' Without Eating Or Drinking On Set As Child Actor

During an interview with Esquire, Wednesday star Jenna Ortega admitted that she didn't recall any mistakes she made as a childhood star, and that might be the exact problem.

Though she's best-known now for her role in Wednesday, Beetlejuice Beetlejuice, and even Yes Day, Ortega's career began years before that when she lived out in the Coachella Desert.

Keep ReadingShow less