Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Man Challenges Airline That Refuses To Let Him Bring Wheelchair On Board, So They Call The Police

Man Challenges Airline That Refuses To Let Him Bring Wheelchair On Board, So They Call The Police
(@HryhorecM/Twitter)

An Australian passenger was humiliated on Wednesday after Qantas Airlines refused to take his collapsible wheelchair on board his flight to Bali.

The staff at check-in permitted Shane Hryhorec to bring his specially-designed wheelchair into the cabin since it could be folded in half and stored in the overhead bin.


So far, his trip was off to a good start.

After making it through security for his flight aboard a Boeing 737 however, a crew member told the Melbourne businessman that his wheelchair had to be stored in the aircraft hold, as "Qantas only allows wheelchairs in the cabin on Airbus A380 and Boeing 787 flights," according to Newsweek.

A debate ensued and Hryhorec and his traveling companion were removed from the plane and brought back to the terminal where the Australian Federal police were waiting for them.

But there were no charges or arrests made as the authorities dismissed the incident as inconsequential.

Hryhorec said he never felt more disabled after the frustrating incident.


"I just really wonder when things like this will stop happening to us," Hryhorec told news.com.au.

"I got in the car and cried. I was so upset. Sadly, this is not uncommon for people with disabilities.
"When you go to Bali you have no idea what chair they're going to give you."
"My wheelchair is designed to fit in the overhead and that's why I take it traveling."

Hryhorec runs Push Mobility, a disability equipment company that replaces broken wheelchair parts, often as a result of improper handling by airport staff when chairs are stored as luggage or other cargo.

"I can't afford having my chair to be damaged. I run a company that replaces wheelchairs that have been damaged in flights. I understand what happens when people fly with their chair in the hold."
"I was going from Bali to Europe for work and if something happened to my chair, that would affect my travel for work."

Having his own specially designed chair in sight allowed Hryhorec to ensure it did not get damaged. But it also allowed him to get into and out of his airline seat on his own and exit the plan without help.

A generic wheelchair does not always allow a disabled person to get into or out of the seat on their own because of arms that do not collapse. Disabled people can be seriously injured when they are lifted or moved by untrained people.

One user appreciated Hryhorec's tweet in raising awareness for the disabled.


Qantas Airlines chalked the incident up as a miscommunication. They issued a statement to news.com.au but failed to address calling the police or their lack of a disabled friendly flight.

"Our crew are trained to ensure customers who require specific assistance travel comfortably, while maintaining the safety of other passengers and crew."
"We apologise that due to a miscommunication, one of our customers boarded our Boeing 737 aircraft intending to store their wheelchair in the overhead compartment when they are not able to be stored in the cabin."

The Qantas policy on wheelchairs for 737 and other smaller aircraft is because they lack a vertical storage space that a standard wheelchair will fit into. But Hryhorec's wheelchair is not a standard wheelchair and easily stowed in the overhead compartment.

In other words, Qantas demanded Hryhorec's wheelchair be removed because it would not fit in 737 cabin storage, so they removed the wheelchair from the 737 cabin storage and kicked Hryhorec off his flight for disagreeing.

Hryhorec stated:

"I'm happy to check in my carry-on luggage so it means my wheelchair is the only thing I'm putting in the overhead. And it doesn't take up any more room than the luggage of any other paying customer."


One person made the excellent point that wheelchairs are not an accessory, like the briefcases or luggage that got put in overhead storage; "they are the feet and legs of a person with a disability."

Others commiserated with Hryhorec by sharing their own horror stories.




Hryhorec booked a different flight to Bali but was told his wheelchair would still have to be checked into the plane's hold despite it fitting inside the overhead bin.

"I'm at a point where I could even cancel the holiday. I honestly don't even want to go now."
"Things need to change because people with disabilities have been putting up with this for far, far too long."

He eventually did make it to Bali.

Despite his concerns for having to check in his wheelchair, the airline decided not to make him have to pick it up at baggage claim on his newer flight.

"During the flight the Cabin Services Manager [CSM] came up to me and said 'We've arranged for your chair to be brought to the door when you land'."
"A great relief after all I'd been through in the past 24 hours. Crew were amazing during the flight."


At the Bali airport, Hryhorec saw the Qantas CSM from the day before. Wanting to let bygones be bygones, Hryhorec reached out to him but was given the cold shoulder.

It turned out the Qantas cabin services manager was still disgruntled over their previous interaction.

"Once we disembarked, I ran into the CSM from yesterday. I held my hand out and said 'Hey how are ya?'."
"In front of the entire flight crew who was waiting with him to board, he refused to shake my hand."
"I said 'not going to shake my hand?' and he said 'Anything for free press'."


Qantas has not yet issued a statement on their CSM.


H/T - Newsweek, Twitter, news.com.au

More from Trending

Ramy Youssef and Elmo
@sesamestreet/Instagram

MAGA Is Predictably Melting Down Over Video Of Elmo Learning New Arabic Words For Arab American Heritage Month

A clip released by Sesame Street on Thursday, April 16, showed Elmo with Egyptian-American actor, comedian, producer, director, and Golden Globe winner Ramy Youssef to celebrate Arab American Heritage Month.

The 41-second video showed Youssef teaching Elmo the Arabic words "salamu alaykum" and "habibi."

Keep ReadingShow less
Nancy Sinatra; Donald Trump
Jim Spellman/WireImage; Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images

Nancy Sinatra Fires Back At Trump With Four Powerful Words After He Uses Her Father's Song In Cryptic Post

Singer Nancy Sinatra, the daughter of the iconic crooner Frank Sinatra, criticized President Donald Trump after he posted a video featuring her father's version of the song "My Way" to Truth Social amid his ongoing war and negotiations with Iran.

"My Way," a song about an individual looking back on their decision to live life on their own terms, was one of the late Sinatra's signature hits. Trump posted a video of Sinatra singing the song with no comment or explanation.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Pete Buttigieg; Donald Trump
@Acyn/X; Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images

Pete Buttigieg Explains Why Trump's AI Jesus Post Was So Offensive To Christian Conservatives In Viral Video

Former Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg condemned President Donald Trump for posting an AI-generated post depicting himself as Jesus Christ, describing it as "insulting" to both people's faith and their intelligence.

Earlier this month, the Pope criticized Trump's widely unpopular war in Iran and called on the world "to reject war, especially a war which many people have said is an unjust war, which is continuing to escalate and is not resolving anything."

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Donald Trump
@atrupar/X

Trump Dragged After Gushing Over His Own Signature In Ultra-Cringey Viral Clip

President Donald Trump was super proud of himself after he signed an executive order to make certain psychedelic drugs more available to treat mental health conditions, taking an opportunity to boast about his own signature.

Trump's order approves $50 million in federal funding to expand access to certain therapies and directed the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to fast-track its review of drugs like psilocybin and ibogaine. He was joined by the likes of podcaster Joe Rogan and Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. in the Oval Office.

Keep ReadingShow less
Charlize Theron (left) responds to Timothée Chalamet’s (right) controversial comments about ballet and opera.
Steve Granitz/FilmMagic; Jamie McCarthy/WireImage

Charlize Theron Gives Timothée Chalamet A Blunt Reality Check About His Future After His Comments Insulting Ballet

Timothée Chalamet declaring that “no one cares” about ballet and opera was always going to age poorly. It just happened faster than expected.

Enter Charlize Theron, who didn’t just disagree—she flipped the whole argument, suggesting that while centuries-old art forms will endure, Chalamet’s own career may be far more vulnerable in the age of artificial intelligence.

Keep ReadingShow less