Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Despite No Specific Allegations, Six Reporters Arrested Covering Trump’s Inauguration

Despite No Specific Allegations, Six Reporters Arrested Covering Trump’s Inauguration

[DIGEST: The Guardian, New York Times]

Six reporters were arrested and charged with felonies while covering the violent protests that took place in Washington, D.C. during Donald Trump’s inauguration. They face up to ten years in prison and a $25,000 fine if convicted.


The reporters are Evan Engel of Vocativ, Alexander Rubinstein of RT America, Jack Keller of the documentary series Story of America, and independent journalists Matthew Hopard, Shay Horse and Aaron Cantu. They were arraigned in superior court on Saturday, the day after the inauguration. They all deny wrongdoing.

These reporters were six of over 200 people who were arrested in connection with protesting taking place over Inauguration Day in Washington, D.C.

Keller said that he was detained for about 36 hours, despite telling the officers he was covering the demonstrations as a journalist. “The way we were treated was an absolute travesty,” he said.

Preliminary hearings for the journalists are set for February and March.

The National Lawyers’ Guild accused the police of having “indiscriminately targeted people for arrest en masse based on location alone.”

This assertion is backed up by the arrest reports for the journalists, none of which make any specific allegations about their allegedly illegal conduct. Five of the six arrest reports use identical language, stating that “numerous crimes were occurring in police presence” and that a “crowd was observed enticing a riot by organizing, promoting, encouraging and participating in acts of violence in furtherance of the riot.”

Protesters are pepper sprayed in Washington D.C. on January 20. (Credit: Source.)

Mark Goldstone, an attorney representing many of the protesters arrested that day, said that the police “basically identified a location that had problems and arrested everyone in that location.”

The US Attorney’s Office for Washington, D.C. declined to comment on the specific cases. But William Miller, spokesman for the office, said that “based on the facts and circumstances, we determined that probable cause existed to support the filing of felony rioting charges.” He continued: “As in all our cases, we are always willing to consider additional information that people bring forward.”

“These felony charges are bizarre and essentially unheard of when it comes to journalists here in America who were simply doing their job,” said Suzanne Nossel, executive director of Pen America. “They weren’t even in the wrong place at the wrong time. There were in the right place.”

Carlos Lauria, a spokesman and senior program coordinator for the Committee to Protect Journalists, found the arrests alarming because the public has an interest in access to information about violent protests. The Committee has asked that the charges be dropped immediately.

“Our concern,” Lauria said, “is that these arrests could send a chilling message to journalists that cover future protests.”

Said Nossel, “Obviously we were girded for worrisome and troubling developments. But the speed, pace and ferocity of the attacks on journalists, the purveying of falsehoods, the silencing of government and agencies that interface with the public—for all that to happen in a matter of days puts us on notice that some of the worst fears may not have been so far-fetched.”

More from News

Winnie Harlow; Whitney Houston
PG/Bauer-Griffin/GC Images; Peter Jordan/PA Images via Getty Images

Model Winnie Harlow Responds To Backlash Over Her Whitney Houston Halloween Look

Model Winnie Harlow is under fire for a controversial Halloween costume depicting one of Whitney Houston's lowest moments—or highest, depending on who you ask.

Harlow is firmly in the latter camp. But many Houston fans online are furious, even after Harlow explained that her intent was to honor the music legend, not mock her.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Donald Trump; Zohran Mamdani
60 Minutes; Andres Kudacki/Getty Images

Trump Dragged After Making Outrageous Comparison To Zohran Mamdani In Viral Clip

President Donald Trump was widely mocked after he asserted during a 60 Minutes interview with Norah O'Donnell that he's "much better-looking" than New York City mayoral candidate Zohran Mamdani—a claim that not a soul is taking seriously.

Trump isn't exactly known to be a looker but he has nonetheless declared himself a "perfect physical specimen" and boasted about his physical prowess, once noting that his own White House physician had declared him "healthier than Obama"—despite Trump's distaste for exercise and fondness for fast food.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gavin Newsom; Karoline Leavit
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images; Andrew Harnik/Getty Images

Gavin Newsom Rips Karoline Leavitt After She Says White House Toilet 'Horrified' Her Before Renovation

California Governor Gavin Newsom criticized White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt and the GOP at large after she claimed to have been "horrified" by the toilet in the Lincoln bathroom before President Donald Trump's marble renovation.

Trump shared an update about ongoing renovations aboard Air Force One while en route to Florida for the weekend, even as the federal government remains shut down and his administration continues to refuse to release all of the emergency funds to sustain SNAP food assistance benefits through November.

Keep ReadingShow less
people seated at bar
Hai Nguyen on Unsplash

People Describe The Most Memorable Moments They Had With A Stranger Who They Never Saw Again

Chance encounters can be meaningful, even if you never see the person again.

Maybe they impart some wisdom or restore your faith in humanity or just entertain you for a little while.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jack Schlossberg (left); Julia Fox (right)
Tom Williams/CQ-Roll Call, Inc via Getty Images; Tiffany Rose/Getty Images for HIM Training Camp

Jackie Kennedy's Grandson Slams Julia Fox's 'Disgusting' JFK Assassination Halloween Costume

Of all the 2025 Halloween costumes in the world—from Labubus to K-pop Warriors to Glindas and Elphabas—Julia Fox went with the one soaked in presidential tragedy.

The Uncut Gems actress arrived at a New York City Halloween party in a replica of the pink Chanel suit worn by First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy on November 22, 1963—the day President John F. Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas.

Keep ReadingShow less