Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

19-Year-Old TikToker Arrested After Faking Cancer To Get Donations—And People Are Disgusted

Screenshots of Maddie Russo from her socials
GoFundMe; Maddie Russo/TikTok

Madison Russo, a college student in Iowa, claimed on TikTok that she had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer to solicit donations on GoFundMe.

A 19-year-old TikToker was charged with a class C felony of theft by means of deception after she collected donations online under the guise that she was fighting cancer, which turned out to be a lie.

The Eldridge Police Department arrested Madison Russo on January 23 while she was in class at St. Ambrose University in Davenport, Iowa.


According to Indy 100, authorities said Russo scammed roughly 439 donors and accumulated over $38,000 in contributions.

A press release said Russo made a series of false claims, including one where she said she "suffered acute lymphoblastic leukemia, stage 2 pancreatic cancer and a tumor the size of a football" attached to her spine.

Obtained medical records as part of an investigation revealed Russo has never been diagnosed with any cancer or tumor by any medical facilities in the area.

The news outlet noted a GoFundMe page was allegedly set up for her which caught the attention of the local newspaper which shared her story.

Here is Russo responding to a question about the healthy appearance of her hair, which she chalked up to taking oral chemotherapy.

The press release continued stating Russo was a guest speaker at the National Pancreas Foundation in Chicago and at St. Ambrose University.

She was also featured on a podcast for Project Purple–a Connecticut-based non-profit organization aiming to spread awareness of and raise funds to defeat pancreatic cancer.

Social media users were dumbfounded.


@scrubhacks

Part 1. Lying about cancer 🫠 #maddierusso #maddierussofakecancer #lyingaboutcancer #nurse #chemonurse #chemonursesrock #nurselife #nursestory #munchausen


People from the cancer community were understandably outraged.







Chief of Police Joseph Sisler issued a statement detailing Russo's deception, which read:

"It was discovered through investigation, that separate and apart from the medical discrepancies, and from the GoFundMe page, Madison accepted private donations from other businesses, non-profit organizations, school districts and private citizens."

Those who have "who have medical experience" were enlisted to work with an investigator looking for "medical discrepancies" in Russo's photos posted on social media.

ABC News medical contributor Dr. Darien Sutton shared their findings after observing select photos.

"You can see that the actual positioning of the port per se, is not accurate," said Sutton.

"Also, the way that it's secured, the type of tape that's used, it's not the same clinical tape that we would use in the hospital."

Documents obtained by KWQC suggested Russo used various props to perpetuate her hoax.

Investigators allegedly found a brown paper bag with medical supplies, an "IV pole with a feeding pump filled with cotton balls," a wig, nausea pills prescribed under a relative’s name, and other items at Russo’s apartment.

The National Pancreas Foundation weighed in on the ongoing investigation with a statement shared with ABC News.

CEO David Bakelman denounced the young scammer, writing:

"The National Pancreas Foundation does not condone the actions of Maddie Russo regarding her deceit to fraudulently secure donors for her false cancer diagnosis."
"There are thousands of patients, families and caregivers battling this terrible disease, and Ms. Russo's actions have taken away valuable resources from these patients."

In response to Russo's arrest, GoFundMe–who stated they have a "zero tolerance policy for misuse"–announced:

"All donors have been refunded and we have removed this fundraiser. The beneficiary has also been banned from using the platform for any future fundraisers."
"GoFundMe's Giving Guarantee offers a full refund in the rare case when something isn't right; this is the first and only donor protection guarantee in the crowdfunding industry."

Louis Frillman, who fell for Russo's con by donating $500 to her fake cause, expressed empathy for the troubled teen.

After the donation site refunded him his money, Frillman told ABC News:

"My thinking is, say a prayer for this young kid because she is going to have a lot of terrible consequences."

Russo posted a $10,000 bond and is scheduled in court on March 2 for her arraignment.

More from Trending

Elon Musk; Joyce Carol Oates
Tom Brenner For The Washington Post via Getty Images; Rosdiana Ciaravolo/Getty Images

Elon Musk Rages After Author Joyce Carol Oates Calls Him 'Uneducated' And 'Uncultured' In Epic Takedown

You'd have to be a "chronically online" user of X, aka Twitter, to know just how prolific a tweeter author Joyce Carol Oates is, but to those who are, her takedowns have become legendary.

And recently, the 87-year-old award-winning writer set her sights on the owner of X himself, Elon Musk. And the gazillionaire babyman is FURIOUS about it.

Keep ReadingShow less
Sydney Sweeney channels boxer Christy Martin
Black Bear Pictures

Sydney Sweeney Speaks Out After 'Christy' Biopic Has One Of Worst Box Office Openings Of All Time

Sydney Sweeney can land a punch, but maybe not at the box office. Her latest film, Christy, a biopic about trailblazing boxer Christy Martin, landed a hard blow but barely connected with the audience, opening to a paltry $1.3 million.

That’s not just a loss; it’s a technical knockout in the “worst wide release openings ever” category, according to Box Office Mojo. For films debuting in over 2,000 theaters, Christy ranks at No. 12 overall and No. 9 when excluding rereleases.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump
Roberto Schmidt/Getty Images

The White House Swiftly Slammed After Boasting That Trump Is 'The Man Who Does It All'

The White House was mocked online after sharing a screenshot to boast that President Trump is "the man who does it all" after he provided some NFL commentary alongside Fox broadcasters during a Washington Commanders game on Sunday.

At no point did the White House note that Trump was booed by spectators multiple times during his appearance, including when he was introduced at halftime by the stadium announcer.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots of Manny Chavez
@TheTNHoller/X

Teen Breaks Down In Tears While Pleading With City Council To Do Something About ICE Raids

16-year-old Manny Chavez broke down in tears during a Hillsboro City Council meeting on Tuesday as he decried President Donald Trump's immigration crackdown and the ICE raids that have made him fear his own safety and that of his parents despite all of them being U.S. citizens.

Hillsboro, a Portland, Oregon, suburb with a significant Latino population, has been rocked by ICE raids; the Washington County Board of Commissioners last week declared a state of emergency in response to ICE activity.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots from The Wall Street Journal's interview with Aaron Paul
@wsj/Instagram

Aaron Paul Reveals Daughter's Heartbreaking Response After He Vowed Not To Use His Phone Around Her

If we're honest with ourselves, most of us realize we spend too much time on these small computers that we take everywhere we go. Between social media and gaming options, it's safe to say a lot of people are addicted to the constant spikes of dopamine available at the swipe of a finger.

But what we don't talk about enough is the impact that this is likely having on our children, especially Gen Alpha kids, who are the first to be raised entirely in a screen-dependent and social-media-crazed world.

Keep ReadingShow less