Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Man Jailed After Calling In Fake Bomb Threat To Delay Plane Because He Was Late For His Flight

Man Jailed After Calling In Fake Bomb Threat To Delay Plane Because He Was Late For His Flight
Nicolas Economou/NurPhoto via Getty Images

An airline passenger who caused a bomb scare on his own flight because he was running late and feared he would miss it has been jailed for 16 months.


Rashidul Islam was sentenced at Lewes Crown Court after pleading guilty to communicating false information.

He was also banned from Gatwick Airport.

The 32-year-old called police 45 minutes before his easyJet flight to Marrakesh from Gatwick was due to take off after his train was cancelled and his taxi became stuck in traffic on May 4 last year.

His hoax call caused the flight to be evacuated and all 147 passengers having to be rechecked by security, costing the airline an estimated £30,000 ($39,000).

A Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) spokesman said:

“Islam anonymously called police 45 minutes before his easyJet booking from Gatwick was due to take off, warning: 'Someone may have a bomb on the plane, you need to delay the flight'."
“The hoaxer made two further threats in the following minutes – causing crew on the 5.40pm flight to Marrakesh to be evacuated and all 147 passengers to be checked again by security."
“Luggage also had to be removed and re-screened, resulting in a three-hour delay at Britain's second busiest airport on a bank holiday weekend."

The spokesman continued:

“Islam, who was flying to Morocco to visit his fiancee, made the bomb hoax after experiencing transport difficulties en route to the airport from Cricklewood, north London."
“Islam first ran into transport difficulty when his train to Gatwick unexpectedly terminated at St Pancras."
“He instead took a taxi from the central London station but traffic meant he would have arrived at the airport with only minutes to get through security."
“The hoax initially succeeded in giving Islam time to check in but he was arrested at the gate after police traced him as the anonymous caller."

The flight eventually took off at 8.50pm with a new cabin crew which had to be swapped as the previous crew had exceeded their hours because of the delay.

Following his arrest, Islam told police he had panicked about missing his flight because he could not afford another ticket.

Natalie Smith, of the CPS, said:

“Rashidul Islam suggests his 999 calls were simply a misguided solution to running late and not intended to cause genuine fear."
“But the bomb hoax was intended to make authorities fear there was a genuine enough threat that they needed to search the plane."
“The consequences were so serious that flight crew had to be evacuated, passengers rechecked and luggage removed—at a cost of three extra hours on the runway and £30,000 ($39,000) to the airline."

Since the incident, Islam has also been sentenced to a 42-month sentence for unconnected money-laundering offenses.

Ms Smith added:

“This sentence should send a message that creating a bomb scare is no trivial matter. These threats have a major impact on everyone in the airport—diverting multiple agencies from core duties such as assisting passengers, providing security or carrying out counter-terrorism checks."

More from Trending

Screenshot of AI-generated Trump Mobile logo from video
@TrumpMobile/X

New Trump Mobile Promo Video Called Out For Being AI Slop In Hilariously Blunt Fact-Check

Following backlash from MAGA fans who complained they'd not received their Trump Mobile phones or their $100 deposits back, the company announced that it is indeed shipping out the phones soon by releasing a new AI video of what they look like, only to be criticized for revamping a phone that is already on the market.

The Trump Mobile T1 phone was unveiled in June 2025 on the 10th anniversary of Trump’s original presidential campaign launch, marking the Trump brand’s debut in the mobile device and wireless service market. At the time, the company said the phone would be available in August 2025.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of JD Vance; Donald Trump
@Acyn/X; Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

JD Vance Just Said The Quiet Part Out Loud About What Trump Really 'Takes Seriously' As President—And Yep, That Tracks

In his announcement this week that the Trump administration will be withholding $1.3 billion in Medicaid payments from California due to alleged fraud, Vice President JD Vance had people raising their eyebrows after claiming that President Donald Trump "takes fraud seriously."

As part of his role overseeing anti-fraud efforts, Vance said the administration is targeting California because state officials are not taking Medicaid fraud seriously enough. Vance claimed both California and American taxpayers were being “defrauded” and alleged that some patients had been given unnecessary medications after fraudsters encouraged “false prescriptions” and improper treatment.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots from @itsgoobz's TikTok video
@itsgoobz/TikTok

Woman Goes Viral After Revealing How She Caught Her Husband Cheating Thanks To His iCloud Account

Cheating is an absolute dealbreaker in most relationships—but when you add three children to the mix, it escalates to a level of betrayal that there's really no coming back from.

It's even worse when the cheater does little to apologize for or even acknowledge what they have done.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots from @maggieeatsss's TikTok video
@maggieeatsss/TikTok

Mom Goes Viral After Confronting Her Son About His Bullying Behavior At School—And Parents Are Applauding

Parents might not want to think about it or talk about it, but at some point, their children are going to make some mistakes, and the true test of their parenting is how they respond in those moments.

So when TikToker @maggieeatsss found out that her son had been bullying a kid at school, she knew there was no time to waste.

Keep ReadingShow less
North Carolina Mom Slams MAGA Congresswoman For Attacking Her 10-Year-Old Son And His Teacher In 'Horrific' Letter
FOX8 WGHP/YouTube; Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images

North Carolina Mom Slams MAGA Congresswoman For Attacking Her 10-Year-Old Son And His Teacher In 'Horrific' Letter

Greensboro, North Carolina, mother Emily Mango is upset with MAGA Republican Representative Virginia Foxx over a letter the North Carolina legislator sent to her 10-year-old son in response to a school assignment.

Mango shared that her son Christian, who is in the 4th grade, was tasked with a writing exercise. Students were to compose a persuasive essay on a topic of their choosing and send it to a changemaker.

Keep ReadingShow less