Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

A Signal from Space? SETI Investigating a "Strong Signal" from Sun-Like Star 95 Light Years Away

A Signal from Space? SETI Investigating a "Strong Signal" from Sun-Like Star 95 Light Years Away

[DIGEST: Observer, ABC]

Researchers with the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence Program (SETI) are investigating signal spikes emitting from a star in the constellation Hercules. The star, an estimated 6.3 billion years old, is 95 light years from Earth––about 500 trillion miles away. "We are talking about a message that left its star in 1920 and finally arrived in Russia in 2015," said Doug Vakoch, Ph.D., who works with METI International, a group that focuses on messaging extraterrestrial intelligence.


The Russian Academy of Science-operated RATAN-600 radio telescope in Zelenchukskaya, Russia picked up an unexplained blip in May last year, but scientists kept their findings secret from the international community. The news only made headlines after Centauri Dreams reporter Paul Gilster, who specializes in reports on interstellar space, broke the story from a document researchers circulated in which they announced the detection of "a strong signal in the direction of HDI64595."

Scientists believe HDI64595  is sun-like in nature, and that it might have a metallic composition nearly identical to our sun. The team also discovered a gaseous Neptune-like planet––HD 164595 b––in its orbit. That there could be other still undetected planets within this system is not outside the realm of possibility.

Credit: Source.

Claudio Maccone, an Italian SETI researcher and mathematician, leads the study along with Russia’s Nikolai Bursov of the Special Astrophysical Observatory. "Permanent monitoring of the target," they say, "is needed."

Alan Boyle, the author of The Case for Pluto, explained why: "The signal conceivably fits the profile for an international transmission from an extraterrestrial source," he said. "In any case, the blip is interesting enough to merit discussion by those who specialize in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence."

The signal's strength is powerful enough to indicate that if it does, in fact,

emanate from an isotropic beacon (a hypothetical type of transmission beacon that emits a uniform electromagnetic signal in all directions for communication with extraterrestrial intelligence), only a Kardashev Type II civilization would have built the power source. Researchers use the Kardashev scale to measure the amount of energy used to deliver an extraterrestrial message and to determine the progress of a civilization's technological development. According to theory, a Type II civilization would have the capability to harness the energy of their entire host star.

If extraterrestrial lifeforms beamed the signal into the galaxy without direction, that would require a colossal amount of power to detect. Transmitting the signal to our solar system alone would require considerably less energy, indicating the presence of a Type I civilization: contemporary and highly advanced, with the ability to harness solar energy from its local star. (We do this on our planet with solar panels.)

Last night, the SETI Institute decided to divert its Allen Telescope Array in northern California for its investigation. METI International will also participate from Panama's Boquete Optical Observatory. Researchers will discuss the signal as well as their subsequent findings at the 67th International Astronautical Congress in Guadalajara, Mexico, on September 27.

More from News

Alec Baldwin; Elon Musk; Lupita Nyong'o
John Nacion/FilmMagic; Harun Ozalp/Anadolu via Getty Images; Bruce Glikas/WireImage

Alec Baldwin Just Effortlessly Shut Down Elon Musk's Criticism Of Christopher Nolan Casting Lupito Nyong'o In 'The Odyssey'

Once again Hollywood decided to cast a Black woman in a movie and once again conservatives are having a temper tantrum about it—especially Elon Musk.

The far-right weirdo had a full crashout on X about Lupita Nyong'o's casting as Helen of Troy in Christopher Nolan's forthcoming The Odyssey adaptation, leading many to rake him over the coals.

Keep ReadingShow less
Javier Bardem; Donald Trump
Samir Hussein/WireImage; Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

Javier Bardem Calls Out Trump's 'Male Toxic Behavior' In Fiery NSFW Rant—And He's Spot On

Oscar-winning actor Javier Bardem criticized President Donald Trump and other despotic world leaders at the Cannes Film Festival on Sunday, condemning the "male toxic behavior" they exhibit on a regular basis.

Bardem spoke while promoting director Rodrigo Sorogoyen's The Beloved, in which he stars as an acclaimed director forced to reckon with his distant relationship with his daughter. Bardem said the film is itself an exploration of toxic masculinity, namely “the bad education that we have received for many ages."

Keep ReadingShow less
Kimberly Guilfoyle
Nicolas Koutsokostas/NurPhoto via Getty Images

Kimberly Guilfoyle Gets Dragged Hard Over Her Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony In Greece For New McDonald's

U.S. Ambassador to Greece Kimberly Guilfoyle was widely mocked after gushing over a new McDonald's location at The Mall in Athens, referring to it as the "most technologically advanced McDonald's in all of Europe."

Guilfoyle took to social media with the following message, sharing photos from the ribbon-cutting ceremony:

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Eric Metaxas
@atrupar/X

Clip Of MAGA Speaker At Prayer Event Claiming God 'Raised Up' Trump To Build His Ballroom Is Peak MAGA

MAGA author and radio host Eric Metaxas was criticized after claiming that God "raised up" President Donald Trump after two centuries so he could build his new White House ballroom.

Last year, Trump ordered the demolition of the entire East Wing to make way for a 90,000 square-foot ballroom that will dwarf the size of the White House itself, sparking alarm from historical preservationists and the public alike.

Keep ReadingShow less
Pete Buttigieg; Sean Duffy
CNN; Eric Lee/Getty Images

Pete Buttigieg Perfectly Shames Sean Duffy Over His 'Road Trip' Reality Show With A Reminder Of His Own 'Taxpayer-Funded Road Trip'

On Friday, May 8, MAGA Republican President Donald Trump's Secretary of Transportation returned to his Fox News stomping grounds to announce a return to his reality TV roots with a five-part YouTube series. Duffy, who was a self-described party boy on MTV's Real World: Boston back in the 1990s, owes his name value to his time on reality TV.

Following his first stint in the Real World franchise, Duffy returned to compete on MTV Road Rules, later meeting his wife, Fox & Friends Weekend co-anchor Rachel Campos-Duffy—herself a notorious hard partier from Real World: San Francisco—on an installment of the program.

Keep ReadingShow less