Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Kirsten Dunst Reveals Why She Hasn't Worked In The Past Two Years—And Yeah, That Tracks

Kirsten Dunst
Axelle/Bauer-Griffin/FilmMagic/GettyImages

The 41-year-old actor opened up about ageism and sexism in Hollywood to 'Marie Claire,' explaining why she hasn't worked 'in two years.'

Make us preferred on Google

Kirsten Dunst opened up about ageism in Hollywood being a primary reason why she has been absent from the acting scene.

Dunst emerged onto the scene with her star-making turn as a child vampire in 1994's Interview with a Vampire for which she nabbed a Golden Globe nomination.


She later gained further success in leading roles in teen comedies like Drop Dead Gorgeous, Bring It On, and most famously for the Spider-Man films playing Mary Jane Watson opposite Tobey Maguire in the titular role.

Her last movie was Jane Campion's 2021 film The Power of the Dog. In the film distributed by Netflix, Dunst played the maudlin character of alcoholic widow Rose Gordon, a role which earned Dunst her first Oscar nomination and a fourth Golden Globe nod for Best Supporting Actress.

The 41-year-old said she hasn't been acting lately because she tends to be typecast in "sad mom" roles.

In her first interview in two years, she told Marie Claire:

"Every role I was being offered was the sad mom."
"To be honest, that's been hard for me...because I need to feed myself."

She also admitted:

"The hardest thing is being a mom and...not feeling like, I have nothing for myself. That's every mother—not just me."

Dunst also pointed to an unfortunate casting trend for women in Hollywood.

"There's definitely less good roles for women my age," she said.

Moviegoers recognized the Hollywood setback traditionally not faced by the opposite gender.


Fans encouraged her not to be so hard on herself.



Eventually, the right project came along that she thought was refreshing.

Dunst announced her return to Hollywood with a role she referred to as "elevated action" after being asked if she felt the impact of limited roles for women her age.

"Yes," she told Marie Claire editor Michelle Ruiz. "That's why I did Civil War."

In Civil War, the new dystopian thriller by Ex Machina screenwriter Alex Garland, Dunst plays photojournalist Lee Smith, who risks her life by joining other journalists traveling across the raging landscape to cover the Second American Civil War between the American government and the separatist "Western Forces" alliance of Texas and California.

It was unlike any other project Dunst was previously involved in.

"When I read the script, I thought, 'I've never done anything like this,'" said Dunst, who happens to be a huge fan of Garland's work.

She said of the writer and director:

"I just love that he's someone who pushes boundaries."

Even though she earlier expressed refusal to "capitalize off the Spider-Man thing" to become a "movie-star-movie-star," Dunst, who dreams of landing a TV show that films in LA so she doesn't have to leave her family for work, isn't opposed to returning to doing superhero films.

"Because you get paid a lot of money, and I have two children, and I support my mother," she cited as an incentive.

Dunst is married to Friday Night Lights actor Jesse Plemmons, who she met while co-starring with him in the second season of the FX anthology series Fargo.

They share two boys, Ennis Howard, who was born in 2018, and James Robert, who was born in 2021.

Civil War will debut on March 14 at the South by Southwest film festival, followed by a wide release by A24 on April 12, 2024.

More from Entertainment/celebrities

Screenshot of Abby Philip and Scott Jennings
CNN

CNN Just Played A Montage Of Trump Attacking Women To Call Out Scott Jennings' Selective Outrage—And His Reaction Speaks Volumes

After conservative commentator Scott Jennings tried to cry foul over Georgia Democratic Senator Jon Ossoff's quip about President Donald Trump's problematic relationship with his aide Natalie Harp, CNN highlighted his selective outrage by playing a montage of Trump attacking various women.

Ossoff drew attention to the Trump-Harp relationship while discussing U.S. Navy sailors who have complained about the conditions aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln, which has been deployed in the Middle East since November of 2025.

Keep Reading Show less
Screenshot of Donald Trump
Fox News

Trump Dragged After Bragging That He's 'Very Good At Flagpoles' In Bizarre Video

President Donald Trump was widely mocked after randomly boasting that he's "very good at flagpoles" while discussing his various White House construction projects with members of the press.

Trump, per CNN's Kasie Hunt, "spent 32 minutes… explaining in painstaking detail the changes that he’s bringing to the People’s House.” And at one point, he bragged about the “two beautiful flag poles on both sides of the White House.”

Keep Reading Show less
Screenshot of Sean Hannity with Darline Graham during broadcast
Fox News

Sean Hannity Hit With Brutal Reminder After He Defends Darline Graham's Lack Of National Security Knowledge

Fox News personality Sean Hannity was called out for his hypocrisy after defending Republican Senate candidate Darline Graham's stunning debate admission that "national security is not my thing."

Last month, Darline Graham was appointed by Governor Henry McMaster to temporarily fill the Senate seat previously occupied by her brother, the late Senator Lindsey Graham. President Donald Trump backed her candidacy for a full six-year term.

Keep Reading Show less
Screenshots from @Rainmaker1973's video
@Rainmaker1973/X

Man At Beach With Metal Detector Becomes Internet Hero After Helping Woman Find Her Lost Engagement Ring

As beautiful as sandy beaches are, they're like quicksand for jewelry and keys, so if someone drops their ring or necklace or house key into the sand, there's a pretty good chance that it's gone forever.

Fortunately for one engaged couple, a man was using his metal detector and was able to help when the woman dropped her engagement ring in the sand.

Keep Reading Show less
Screenshots from @ocjusticeinitiative's Instagram video
@ocjusticeinitiative/Instagram

Indian-American Man Floored After Stranger Gives Him Racist 'Compliment' In Infuriating Viral Video

Sometimes, people are so racist, it's hard to tell if they're just that hatefully racist, or if they're intentionally trying to bait innocent people for views.

A woman approached an Indian-American man in a restaurant while he was enjoying a meal with his daughters, and she pretended to compliment him—but it was totally backhanded.

Keep Reading Show less