Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Treasury Secretary Ripped After Explaining Why He's Not Concerned About Empty Shelves Amid Trade War

Scott Bessent
Andrew Harnik/Getty Images

U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent told Fox News' Brian Kilmeade why he's not concerned "at present" about the possibility of empty shelves at stores—but critics aren't so convinced.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent was criticized after telling Fox News host Brian Kilmeade that he's not concerned "at present" about the possibility of empty shelves in stores amid President Donald Trump's trade war, defending the practices of "great retailers" that he expects will weather the storm.

Trump has escalated a growing trade war by imposing tariffs of up to 145% on Chinese imports, prompting China to retaliate with its own 125% tariffs on American goods. Additionally, the U.S. has slapped a 10% tax on imports from most other countries, while temporarily suspending higher rates for several nations for 90 days.


The White House also implemented several sector-specific tariffs of 25% and has warned that it may reintroduce stricter measures on dozens of trading partners if they fail to reach agreements to reduce trade barriers with the United States—actions that economists say will deal heavy blows to the U.S. economy and lead to shortages.

But Bessent didn't appear concerned when asked about empty shelves, replying:

"Not at present. We have some great retailers. I assume they pre-ordered."
"I think we'll see some elasticities. I think we'll see replacements, and then we will see how quickly the Chinese want to de-escalate."
"I think it's unsustainable from the Chinese side, so maybe they'll call me one day. In the history of trade negotiations or trade slowdowns, it is the surplus country that always loses the most."

You can hear what he said in the video below.

Bessent was swiftly criticized.



Alongside his assessment of trade tensions with China and other Asian countries, Bessent claimed that European nations are likely “in a panic” over the euro’s strength against the U.S. dollar. Since the onset of the trade dispute, the euro has climbed nearly 10% against the dollar, after the two currencies had approached parity in early January.

Meanwhile, the administration has sent mixed signals about the progress of trade talks. Trump claimed last week that he was discussing trade with Chinese officials during their visit to Washington, but other reports suggested that no formal negotiations were underway and that the officials were primarily in town for World Bank and IMF meetings.

More from News/political-news

Offset and Cardi B
Catherine Powell/Getty Images for MTV

Rapper Offset Is Getting Dragged Hard After Blaming His Divorce On Cardi B Not Cooking For Him

Rapper Offset is facing public pushback after trying to shade his ex, Cardi B, with lyrics about her not cooking for him—like it's 1925 instead of 2025.

Leading up to the release of the song "Move On," Offset told the Associated Press:

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump
Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images

'The Daily Show' Epically Drags MAGA's American Flag Obsession With Hilariously NSFW Parody Ad

The Daily Show had people cackling after it skewered President Donald Trump and his MAGA followers over their obsession with the American flag with a parody ad for the "Trump Love Flag" that calls for people to not "desecrate, just fornicate."

Trump on Monday signed an executive order directing federal prosecutors to pursue criminal charges against people who burn American flags during protests.

Keep ReadingShow less
Karoline Leavitt
Mandel Ngan/AFP via Getty Images

Karoline Leavitt Gets Brutal Reminder After Making Brazen Claim About Trump's 'Transparency'

White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt had people rolling their eyes after she took to X to claim that President Donald Trump is the "most transparent and accessible" president in history.

Leavitt made the claim in response to a tweet from White House correspondent Philip Wegmann, who writes for the conservative news site RealClearPolitics, one of the right-wing news outlets accredited by the White House as part of a larger shake-up intended to counter "liberal news narratives."

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump; Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce
Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images; Brooke Sutton/Getty Images

Trump Had A Shockingly Normal Reaction To Travis And Taylor's Engagement—And He's Getting Roasted Alive For It

President Donald Trump was widely mocked for his surprisingly supportive reaction to the news that Kansas City Chiefs star Travis Kelce and musician Taylor Swift are engaged to be married.

In a post on Instagram, Swift announced that “Your English teacher and your gym teacher are getting married,” sharing photos of Kelce kneeling on one knee before her in a flower-filled garden.

Keep ReadingShow less
Two women resting their heads on a man's shoulders
a group of people posing for the camera

People Who've Had A Threesome Reveal What Surprised Them Most

From time to time, a couple might look for ways to spice up their relationship, fearing they may have lost some of their spark.

Conversely, some people look for ways to break free of their sexual comfort zone and be more adventurous.

Keep ReadingShow less