Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Aaron Sorkin Sparks Debate After Saying Only Casting Gay Actors In Gay Roles Is An 'Empty Gesture'

Aaron Sorkin Sparks Debate After Saying Only Casting Gay Actors In Gay Roles Is An 'Empty Gesture'
Rich Fury/Getty Images

The debate of casting gay actors in gay roles continues as Aaron Sorkin states the choice is an "empty gesture."

Sorkin, known for writing TV show The West Wing and movies Steve Jobs and The Social Network, had an interview with the Sunday Times in the UK where he discussed his latest movie, Being the Ricardos.


This film has received criticism for casting Javier Bardem as Desi Arnaz, Lucille Ball's husband. Bardem is Spanish while Arnez was born in Cuba.

Sorkin calls this criticism a "little chilling."

“This should be the last place there are walls."
"Spanish and Cuban are not actable."
"If I was directing you in a scene and said: ‘It’s cold, you can’t feel your face.’ That’s actable."
"But if I said: ‘Be Cuban,’ That is not actable."

He then commented on casting LGBTQ+ people in LGBTQ+ roles.

“Nouns aren’t actable."
"Gay and straight aren’t actable."
"You can act being attracted to someone, but can’t act gay or straight."
“So this notion that only gay actors should play gay characters?"
"That only a Cuban actor should play Desi?"
"Honestly, I think it’s the mother of all empty gestures and a bad idea.”


Bardem also gave an interview recently commenting on the criticism:

"I’m an actor, and that’s what I do for a living: try to be people that I’m not.”

Sorkin also spoke last month about the casting.

He told the Hollywood Reporter they worked with a "Latina casting consultant."

“We know when we’re being demeaning."
“We know that Blackface is demeaning because of its historical context because you’re making ridiculous cartoon caricatures out of people."
“We know that Mickey Rooney with the silly piece in ‘Breakfast at Tiffany’s’ and that makeup doing, silly Japanese speak, we know that’s demeaning."
"This is not, I felt."
"Having an actor who was born in Spain playing a character who was born in Cuba was not demeaning."
"And it wasn’t just the casting consultant who agreed, Lucy and Desi’s Cuban-American daughter didn’t have a problem with it."
"So, I’m very comfortable with it.”

The conversation around casting those with lived experience in roles with that same lived experience is not new.

Russell T. Davis, screenwriter for It’s A Sin, was proud that he cast LGBTQ+ actors in LGBTQ+ roles.

He told AnotherMag:

“My take is to cast gay as gay."
"Absolutely. I believe that profoundly."
"I think you not only get authenticity; you get revenge for 100 years of straight-washing."
“And I’ll tell you what, no, I don’t mind a gay actor playing straight."
"Because from the age of eight, gay people learn to fit in with the straight world and act straight."
"That’s something we know very profoundly in our hearts."
“So if you want a great performance, cast a gay actor as a straight man because he’s been studying how straight men behave for an awful long time.”

Once the news of Sorkin's comments on LGBTQ+ casting went public, he received even more criticism than when he started.












Not long ago, a similar conversation was had when openly transgender actress Alexandra Billings was up for the role of Mary Poppins in the live musical production.

Eddie Redmayne, a cisgender man, also recently reflected on his role as a transgender woman in The Danish Girl and regretted it.

There shouldn't be debate when it comes to the representation of those marginalized and oppressed.

More from News/lgbtq

Carrie Coon
HBO

'White Lotus' Star Carrie Coon Reveals Why Scene With Her Character's Nonbinary Child Was Cut

The third season of HBO's The White Lotus hasn't shied away from depicting our dark moment in American politics, but there was one story element that proved a bridge too far, it seems.

In an interview with Harper's Bazaar, actor Carrie Coon said her character Laurie was supposed to have a nonbinary child with they/them pronouns. But the brief scene between her and her child was cut following Trump's election.

Keep ReadingShow less
Vivian Wilson; Elon Musk
@vivllainous/Instagram, Scott Olson/Getty Images

Vivian Wilson Claims Elon Musk's Former Liberal Views Were Just A 'Marketing Scheme'

Elon Musk's estranged trans daughter Vivian Jenna Wilson set the record straight about the tech billionaire's supposed liberal beginnings, alleging that his persona was merely a ruse and part of a “marketing scheme.”

Wilson, who legally changed her name and identity in 2022 when she was 18, interviewed with YouTuber and Twitch streamer Hasan Piker, who asked her what the "transition was like for your dad to go from a liberal darling…"

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump
BRENDAN SMIALOWSKI/AFP via Getty Images

Trump Slammed After Saying He's 'Not Joking' About Running For A Third Term

Republican President Donald Trump was ridiculed for insisting he was "not joking" about running for a third presidential term, which would violate the Constitution under the 22nd Amendment, stating a President cannot be elected beyond a second term.

In an NBC interview Sunday morning, Trump maintained his allies were pushing for a third term for the Trump administration.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Donald Trump
Fox News

Trump Ripped For Bonkers Answer After Being Asked To Define What A 'Woman' Is

President Donald Trump was called out after he was asked by a conservative reporter at the end of Women's History Month to give his definition of a "woman"—only to show that he doesn't even know his own talking points let alone those of the wider GOP.

This past Friday, Trump attended the swearing-in ceremony for interim U.S. Attorney for the District of New Jersey, Alina Habba, where he also took questions.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Karoline Leavitt
C-SPAN2

Karoline Leavitt Gives Mind-Boggling Update On Signal Group Chat Scandal—And Critics Are Furious

White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt was called out after she dismissed reporters' questions amid revelations that Atlantic editor Jeffrey Goldberg was invited into a Signal chat with high-level Trump administration officials, particularly Vice President JD Vance and Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, discussing military strategy surrounding war strikes in Yemen.

Lawmakers from both parties have increased their calls demanding an investigation into the Signal scandal. The latest push came from Democrats on the House Intelligence Committee, who on Monday sent a letter to Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard calling for an independent probe.

Keep ReadingShow less