Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Trump-Loving State Senator Just Switched Parties To Become A Democrat

Samuel Thompson; Donald Trump
New Jersey Legislature; Scott Eisen/Getty Images

New Jersey State Senator Samuel Thompson, who served as a delegate for Donald Trump in 2016 and 2020, became a Democrat because of the 'betrayal' of Republicans.

New Jersey state Senator Samuel Thompson—who served for 14 years in the New Jersey General Assembly before being elected to the State Senate—announced he is leaving the Republican Party and planning to run for re-election as a Democrat.

Thompson—an avid Trump supporter who served as a Trump delegate at the Republican National Convention in both 2016 and 2020—made the decision to leave the Republican Party after party leadership questioned his fitness to serve because of his age.


The New Jersey GOP indicated they would likely be endorsing the mayor of Old Bridge, New Jersey—Owen Henry—for Thompson's state senate seat.

Thompson—who is 87-years-old—cited age discrimination as the motivation for the party's decision to endorse another candidate.

He said party leadership told him they were worried he was "too old and might die in office."

Thompson disagreed, though.

"I'm a full-time legislator. I've been doing my job every day."
"I'm in my office from 9 to 5, Monday through Friday."
"I'm available seven days a week, 365 days a year."

Thompson seemed surprised New Jersey state Senate Minority Leader Steve Oroho wouldn't allow him to enter the Republican Party's meeting after he suddenly decided to jump ship.

"He wouldn’t let me say goodbye to my friends that I served with for many years."

Oroho acknowledged he denied Thompson entry to the meeting, citing Thompson's apparent sudden change of heart.

"[Thompson] made a unilateral decision to switch parties without talking to anyone from either side."
"He didn't seem to understand that it was inappropriate for him to try to join us after he announced he had become a Democrat."

Thompson told The Associated Press on Monday:

"The betrayal by so many of my friends—that was too much for me. I am not leaving my party. My party leadership has left me."

Surprisingly, New Jersey Democratic Governor Phil Murphy had good things to say about Thompson in an emailed statement:

"A former U.S. Army veteran and research chemist who served for over 20 years in the New Jersey Department of Health, Senator Thompson has built a reputation as a tireless public servant who prioritizes constituent services."
"Among his achievements, he helped create both NJ Kid Care and NJ Family Care to provide health insurance for working families and helped double income eligibility levels for the Senior Freeze property tax relief program."

He also welcomed Thompson to the party:

"The Democratic Party has always been a big tent party and I welcome Senator Thompson to our ranks."

Thompson still vehemently supports former President Donald Trump.

Thompson describes Trump’s presidency as a success.

He didn't seem to think this would hurt his chances with Democratic voters though.

When asked how he reconciled his faith in Trump with running as a Democrat, Thompson said:

"Everybody is entitled to their own choices and what they’re going to do."

Thompson seems confident of his chances in the election, but will have to wait and see how that goes.

More from People/donald-trump

Dave Coulier
Paul Archuleta/FilmMagic/Getty Images

Dave Coulier Shares Positive Health Update After Two Cancer Diagnoses In Two Years

Full House fans can rejoice: Dave Coulier is cancer-free for the second time in two years.

Last year, Coulier had an emotional moment on the TODAY show, where he revealed that he'd been diagnosed with a unique form of tongue cancer while he was already in remission from stage 3 non-Hodgkin lymphoma, making it his second cancer diagnosis in under two years.

Keep ReadingShow less
Charli XCX (left) and Jason Bateman (right) are pictured following their SmartLess podcast exchange about parenthood.
Jerritt Clark/Getty Images for W Magazine; Steve Granitz/FilmMagic

Charli XCX Has Perfect Response After Jason Bateman Pushes Back On Her Desire Not To Have Kids

During a recent appearance on SmartLess, Charli XCX found herself fielding a familiar—and pointedly personal—question: whether she plans to have children.

The podcast, hosted by Jason Bateman, Sean Hayes, and Will Arnett, prides itself on casual conversation. But that looseness drew criticism as the discussion veered into Charli’s reproductive choices, which is a decision that listeners noted the hosts rarely press younger male guests to defend.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots from ​@hahna.boards's TikTok videos
@hahna.boards/TikTok

Team USA Olympian Shows Off All The Free Swag She's Gotten—And People Are Stunned

If you ever thought Olympic athletes might not receive all of the fanfare and freebies that their fellow athletes do, don't worry.

USA Winter Olympics snowboarder Hahna Norman posted several videos of products she received from various clothing lines, and it's a lot.

Keep ReadingShow less
Peter Attia; Jeffrey Epstein
Renee Dominguez/SXSW Conference & Festivals via Getty Images; The US Justice Department/Anadolu via Getty Images

New CBS Contributor Slammed After Trying To Downplay His Emails Sucking Up To Epstein In Latest Drop Of Files

CBS News, under the leadership of editor-in-chief Bari Weiss, just received another metaphorical black eye.

It came with the latest release of files by the Department of Justice from their 2019 investigation and indictment of human trafficker and registered sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. On Friday, the DOJ released 3 million new pages of documents.

Keep ReadingShow less
Tomás-Llorenç Guarino Sabaté performs his Minions-inspired routine, complete with a yellow shirt and blue overalls.
Courtesy of Sporteurope.TV

Figure Skater Shares Hopeful Update After His Popular 'Minions' Routine Was Banned Just Days Before Olympics

Minions… on ice? That was the plan for Olympic figure skater Tomás-Llorenç Guarino Sabaté, who hoped to bring a dose of animated absurdity to the 2026 Winter Olympics with a Minions-inspired routine set to music from the 2015 film. Instead, just days before the Games, the crowd-pleasing program was abruptly pulled.

The Catalan skater had used the music throughout the season without issue after purchasing the required permissions under International Skating Union (ISU) regulations. Thanks to its playful originality, the routine had become one of the most anticipated men’s short programs heading into Milan-Cortina.

Keep ReadingShow less