Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Republican Strategist Urges Brett Kavanaugh to Withdraw His Nomination In the Wake of Sexual Assault Allegations

Republican Strategist Urges Brett Kavanaugh to Withdraw His Nomination In the Wake of Sexual Assault Allegations
US Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh listens during the first day of his confirmation hearing in front of the US Senate on Capitol Hill in Washington DC, on September 4, 2018. - Photo by Brendan Smialowski / AFP) (Photo credit should read BRENDAN SMIALOWSKI/AFP/Getty Images)

Kavanaugh's wall may not hold.

A veteran Republican strategist is calling for Brett Kavanaugh to withdraw his nomination to the United States Supreme Court after the judge was accused of sexually assaulting a woman at a high school party in the 1980's.


In a powerful NBC editorial on Monday, Evan Siegfried begins by saying Kavanaugh "has a resume that makes him unquestionably qualified to sit on the highest court in the land."

"Further, I have found the attacks on him made by Democrats until now to be unfounded or pure spectacle made by politicians engaging in theatrics simply because they knew there were cameras on," Siegfried says of Kavanaugh's contentious confirmation hearings.

Siegfried laments, however, that "after reading" the allegations against Kavanaugh, he "can no longer support Kavanaugh’s nomination and have concluded that for the good of the country, he must withdraw."

Last week, a confidential letter sent to the Senate Judiciary Committee accusing Kavanaugh of the attempted rape of a classmate at a high school party was made public without the author's consent.

According to the account, which we now know was written by Christine Blasey Ford, a research psychologist, Kavanaugh was "stumbling drunk" and pinned Ford down on a bed, covering her mouth as he forced himself on top of her.

"I thought he might inadvertently kill me,” said Ford of Kavanaugh during the alleged 1982 incident. "He was trying to attack me and remove my clothing."

Ford said that a friend, Mark Judge, jumped on top of them as he watched, inadvertently knocking Kavanaugh off Ford, allowing her to escape.

Kavanaugh and Judge have fiercely denied the allegations.

"I categorically and unequivocally deny this allegation," Kavanaugh said in a statement. "I did not do this back in high school or at any time."

Judge's memoir, however, references a friend named "Bart O’Kavanaugh" with whom he partied in "an environment rife with alcohol abuse and misbehavior," as Siegfried puts it.

Siegfried believes the accusations are enough to disqualify Kavanaugh for a seat on the High Court.

"It might be impossible for a court of law, let alone the court of public opinion, to definitively determine the truth of what happened on that night in 1983, but Ford’s story is disturbing," writes Siegfried.

Siegfried writes that Ford's story transcends the hyper-partisan political climate because she sought marriage counseling and reported the assault to her therapist back in 2012.

Ford also passed a polygraph test in August. "The results... concluded that Ford was being truthful when she said a statement summarizing her allegations was accurate," WaPo reported on Sunday.

"While the psychiatrist’s note lacks names," Siegfried says, "it is difficult to believe that Ford raised this in therapy six years ago as part of some master plan to stop Brett Kavanaugh’s Supreme Court nomination before Obama's re-election."

Senator Diane Feinstein (D-CA), the ranking member on the Senate Judiciary Committee, has known about Ford's accusations since July and did not raise them during Kavanaugh's confirmation hearings, which has irked Republicans who were banking on a Kavanaugh confirmation.

Siegfried says that although "Feinstein has some explaining to do" regarding the timing of Ford's letter, the "political shenanigans around Kavanaugh's nomination do not give us a pass to take Ford’s allegation of attempted sexual assault lightly."

Siegfried described the accusations as a "sad ordeal," reminding him of Anita Hill's allegations of sexual harassment against Clarence Thomas in 1991. Thomas was ultimately confirmed to the Supreme Court, but "the accusations follow Thomas to this day — and Ford’s allegations will follow Kavanaugh, too," Siegfried predicts.

And while President Donald Trump could pick another nominee to replace Anthony Kennedy, the odds that "another nominee would be facing a sexual assault charge (particularly [Judge Amy Comey] Barrett) is minimal and the public would not have a tainted view of whoever is confirmed."

Siegfried also fears that a Kavanaugh confirmation could shatter public confidence in the Supreme Court, worrying that "a large portion of the American people would likely view him as illegitimate and challenge the validity of his appointment because of Ford’s accusations."

The future of the Supreme Court is too important, Siegfried writes, for Kavanaugh's nomination to continue.

"Kavanaugh must put the integrity of the Supreme Court and its future rulings first, and withdraw his nomination," Siegfried concludes. "Trump can then replace him with a nominee with stellar credentials and no controversy."

The White House and Kavanaugh have said his nomination will not be withdrawn.

On Monday, Trump said that asking if Kavanaugh will bow out was "a ridiculous question."

That has not stopped calls on social media - from all sides of the political aisle - for Kavanaugh to forgo his nomination.

"Such a situation is not healthy for our republic," Siegfried opines. It's hard to disagree.

More from News

Split screen of a woman with a stern reaction and a man with a shocked expression.
@vanessa_p_44/TikTok

Guy Has Priceless Reaction To Learning His Mom Named Him After 'South Park' Character—And We're Obsessed

When it comes time for parents to name their soon-to-be-born child, they often cast a wide net looking for inspiration.

Many will name their child after a beloved friend or family member, while others might choose a name from a classic film, novel, or television series.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gavin Newsom
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images

Gavin Newsom Expertly Trolls Trump Administration With Parody Spirit Halloween Costume Memes

California Governor Gavin Newsom had social media users cackling after he, in a series of photos on X, mocked Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem, and Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. with photoshopped meme versions of Spirit Halloween costumes.

Noem, who has led the nationwide immigration crackdown that continues to tear apart families around the country, is the "Border Barbie" of one meme that pokes fun at her for shooting her dog, her penchant for bringing camera crews wherever she goes, and the way South Park writers lampooned her in one of its most widely-seen episodes this year.

Keep ReadingShow less
Robin Williams and Ethan Hawke
Buena Vista Pictures Distribution

Ethan Hawke Shares Important Lesson He Learned From Robin Williams On Set Of 'Dead Poets Society'

Actor Ethan Hawke has become a Hollywood legend in his own right, but his career started with being a child actor learning from the greats, like Robin Williams.

The two co-starred in Dead Poets Society, one of the greatest films of the 1980s. It was a breakout role for Hawke and one that solidified Williams as a dramatic actor after a career mostly focused on comedy.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump; Screenshot of California's statement
Andrew Harnik/Getty Images; cdss.ca.gov

Blue States Are Taking A Page Out Of Trump's Playbook With Alerts About SNAP Benefits

President Donald Trump and his administration are facing criticism as blue states post alerts about the loss of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits as a result of the Trump administration's failure to spend contingency funds to feed people on the program, a decision that is resulting in a nationwide hunger crisis impacting millions of families.

State officials have announced plans to inform visitors that if they’re alarmed by the pause in SNAP benefits beginning November 1 due to the shutdown, they should direct their frustration at the Republican Party.

Keep ReadingShow less
Photo of a female hand holding up a pink paper heart that is on fire.
Photo by Kelly Sikkema on Unsplash

Signs A Relationship Is Over Even If The Couple Hasn't Broken Up Yet

Love is a many-splendored thing... until it's not.

Not all love stories have a happy ending.

Keep ReadingShow less