Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

NCAA Upgrades Weight Room After Female Player Calls Out Sexist Disparity Between Tournaments

NCAA Upgrades Weight Room After Female Player Calls Out Sexist Disparity Between Tournaments
@sedonaprince_/Twitter
Make us preferred on Google

A viral video showing the disparity between male and female exercise facilities provided by the NCAA during the March Madness basketball tournaments prompted the collegiate sports organization to apologize and make some changes.

Sedona Prince, a basketball player for The University of Oregon, previously posted a video exposing the contrast between the well-equipped men's facilities in Indianapolis and the women's weight room that only had a single stand for lightweights at the San Antonio tournament facilities.


"If you aren't upset about this problem, then you're a part of it," said Prince in the video, which you can see here.

Prince added March was also about more than just basketball.

Her post calling out the NCAA and their excuse it was an "available space" issue received some high profile attention on social media.

@SheaSerrano/Twitter



It also brought to light a number of other inequities.



After the video prompted online backlash for the scarcity of equipment in the women's basketball tournament's weight room, the NCAA responded by providing an upgrade with benches, more free weights, racks and cardio equipment.

"Social media is powerful," tweeted Prince, adding, "Thank you for all of y'all's support."

The student-athlete's latest video showed the vast improvement to the facilities and the positive reaction from her teammates upon discovering the equipment upgrade on Saturday morning.

Prince exclaimed in the video:

"Guess what, guys? We got a weight room! Thank you, NCAA, for listening to us. We appreciate y'all, for real."

The controversy started when Ali Kershner, a coach at Stanford, first shared the photos showing a discrepancy with the workout equipment provided for the men and women teams.

The photo below showed the women's weight room—a single rack of lightweights and a table in an otherwise empty and underutilized space.

@alikershnier/Twitter

And this photo was from the men's weight room which was filled with squat racks, benches, extended-weight dumbbells and other equipment.

@alikershnier/Twitter

The NCAA's Vice President of women's basketball, Lynn Holzman, issued a statement saying the NCAA acknowledged "that some of the amenities teams would typically have access to have not been as available inside the controlled environment."

Holzman continued:

"In part, this is due to the limited space and the original plan was to expand the workout area once additional space was available later in the tournament."
"However, we want to be responsive to the needs of our participating teams, and we are actively working to enhance existing resources at practice courts, including additional weight training equipment."

But the VP's excuse, which did not include a formal apology, did not sit well with Prince, which led to her viral post on March 18.

On Friday, NCAA President Mark Emmert apologized to the women's teams.

"This is not something that should have happened and, should we ever conduct a tournament like this again, will never happen again," said Emmert.

Prince followed up her tweet of appreciation with gratitude.

Social media users praised Prince for leading the charge but also commented there still needs to be progress for the treatment of female athletes.







The reason why the NCAA initially skimped on providing women players gym equipment remains questionable.


Twitter user @RichDevall argued:

"Whether they bring in less money or not is a nonsense argument, they have a $50m a year TV deal for this tournament, last time I checked that is just about enough to set up a proper weight room without being shamed into it."

More from Trending

Screenshots of Tim Pool and Mason
Surrounded/Jubilee

Right-Wing Podcaster Storms Off Debate Show Set After Being Epically Called Out For Grifting Off Of 'Civil War' Claims

Right-wing podcaster Tim Pool was widely mocked after storming off the set of the debate series Surrounded when he was grilled over his constant claims that the United States is tracking towards a "civil war."

Pool recently appeared in Jubilee’s series, where progressive commentator Mason challenged his repeated warnings that the U.S. could be heading toward a “civil war.”

Keep Reading Show less
Scrreenshot of Jon Ossoff; Donald Trump and Natalie Harp
@Acyn/X; Mandel Ngan/AFP via Getty Images

Jon Ossoff Rips Trump During Speech With Brutal Dig About His Problematic Relationship With Fawning Young Aide

Georgia Democratic Senator Jon Ossoff took aim at President Donald Trump's problematic relationship with his young aide Natalie Harp during a campaign speech on Sunday.

Last month, Trump reportedly took extraordinary security precautions during a trip to Turkey, secretly switching from Air Force One to a military aircraft after an alleged threat. Although he was publicly seen boarding the presidential jet, he was later transported to the military plane concealed inside a catering truck.

Keep Reading Show less
Screenshots of Donald Trump and John Teichert
Fox News

Trump Just Threatened To 'Bomb The Sh*t Out Of' Oman—And Even Fox News Is Flabbergasted

Even Fox News is stunned after President Donald Trump threatened to "bomb the sh*t out of" Oman if the country "gets in the way" of talks between the U.S. and Iran.

Trump’s remarks came amid stalled U.S.-Iran negotiations and separate talks between Iran and Oman over how commercial shipping could resume through the Strait of Hormuz. Fox News correspondent Trey Yingst reported that Trump warned the U.S. would attack Oman if it interfered with American efforts, though Fox did not release audio of the interview.

Keep Reading Show less
Screenshot of Donald Trump speaking at rally
@Acyn/X

MAGA Rally Crowd Applauds After Trump Says He'll 'Never Apologize' For Higher Gas Prices In Surreal Viral Video

President Donald Trump was met with applause from supporters in a surreal moment at a MAGA rally on Long Island, New York, after he told attendees he'd "never apologize" for higher gas costs due to his war with Iran.

A recent Gallup poll found that 55 percent of respondents felt their finances were worsening, a level of pessimism exceeding that seen during both the COVID-19 pandemic and the 2008 financial crisis. This comes as the highly unpopular war in Iran continues to rage, sending gas prices surging. Americans have spent an additional $59 billion on fuel since Trump launched the war.

Keep Reading Show less