Most Read


Michigan Parents Outraged After Kindergartner Gets Classmates Tipsy On Margaritas During Snack Time

Michigan Parents Outraged After Kindergartner Gets Classmates Tipsy On Margaritas During Snack Time

Kids grow up so fast these days—so fast, in fact, that they're drinking margaritas during snack time in kindergarten.

Okay that's not exactly happening en masse.

But it did happen in one Michigan kindergarten classroom when a child brought a bottle of José Cuervo ready-mixed margaritas to school and shared it with several of her classmates, who thought it was juice.

Parents are outraged by the mishap, especially since the child who brought the margarita told school administrators she knew the bottle had alcohol in it, according to reporting from local news station Fox 2 Detroit.

The incident happened at Grand River Academy, a charter school in the Detroit suburb of Livonia. One student reported feeling "woozy" and "dizzy" after she had drunk several sips of the concoction from a Dixie cup.

Dominique Zanders, the mother of that student, told Fox 2 the girl who brought the margarita was aware of what was in the bottle.

"The girl poured it in her cup and she drank it and the girl ended up telling her what it is, and she went and told the teacher there is liquor in this cup, and the teacher gave her a funny face."

Another parent, Alexis Smith, reported having a similar conversation with her daughter.

"I had a small conversation with my daughter - nothing big - and she told me the girl knew it was liquor."

Zanders and Smith are understandably both outraged.

The school has issued a statement, reading in part:

"While we try to keep an eye on everything our students bring to school, that’s simply not possible. It’s unfortunate that these types of adult beverages can be easily mistaken for child-friendly drinks."

The school has also said it will discipline the child who brought the margarita, but Zanders and Smith both agree that's the wrong approach--it's the child's parents that should be held responsible.

As Smith put it:

"If your child knows what it is, nothing wrong with it - but they should know not to touch it. That it's not for kids."

On social media many people were outraged by the incident.

But this being Twitter of course, many others couldn't help but get a laugh out of this whole thing.

In the end, all the children who drank the margarita were okay after being given plenty of water and crackers per the instructions of the poison control center the school called.