Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Zachary Levi Claims His Comments About Strike Rules Being 'So Dumb' Were Taken Out Of Context

Zachary Levi
Jason Mendez/Getty Images

The actor released a statement about his comments 'made in jest' about the SAG-AFTRA strike rules that permit members from promoting past or present projects.

Make us preferred on Google

Zachary Levi went into damage control mode after appearing to make a comment at a fan convention that slammed one of the rules of the actors strike.

A video of him at the Manchester Comic-Con in the UK circulated online of him griping about not being able to discuss his earlier works on TV and film.


In the clip, he snickered:

"I’m not allowed to talk about…. This is so dumb."
"I’m not allowed to talk about any of my previous work."

Last month, union members joined the Writers Guild of America (WGA) to fight for better compensation and future job security against the backdrop of increased streaming content and advanced A.I.–generated entertainment.

During the strike, members of the Screen Actors Guild–American Federation of Television and Radio Artists are forbidden to discuss or promote struck companies, including the work they've done for them in the past.

In the video, Levi chuckled in disbelief at the situation.

“I’m not allowed to talk about movies that I may be a superhero in."
"I’m not allowed to talk about TV shows that I may have been a nerd who worked at a Best Buy."
"I’m not allowed to talk about any animated princess movies that I was fantastic in—as the best prince ever!"
"I’m not allowed to talk about those things.”

Disciplinary actions for violating the strike order could include a fine, censure, expulsion from the union, or suspension from the union.

Many compared Levi to actor Stephen Amell, who also spoke at a fan convention last month and claimed that he stood by his union but didn't support the strike, calling it a "reductive negotiating tactic" and "myopic."

Here is the video of Levi's comments from Manchester Comic-Con.

It was unclear what he said before and after his critical comment.

People shared mixed responses.



Levi addressed the backlash when the video began circulating last Thursday.

He said in a statement on Friday:

“It’s come to my attention that an offhand remark I made in jest last weekend is being taken out of context."
"So let me be very clear. I fully support my union, the WGA, and the strike."

He continued:

"I remain an outspoken critic of the exploitative system that us artists are subject to work in since I started my journey in this business 25 years ago."
"This strike is necessary to protect ourselves, our writers, and all those working in production who make the industry move.”

Levi then claimed he was only concerned about his fans.

He said:

“We also cannot forget our fans during this strike."
"Fans that spend their money and energy traveling far distances to talk with us about our work that means so much to them, we should be able to engage."
"Our business exists and succeeds because of the fans, and I think it’s imperative we appreciate them for their support of our careers.”

Not everyone was convinced by his statement.









However, one commenter thought this could all have been avoided in the first place.

Last month, Levi posted an Instagram video passionately expressing his full support for the strike.

“[The studio executives] do not care about human life, they don’t care about, really, life in general. They care about profits."
“It’s always profit over people and not the other way around."
"So mark my words, if we don’t do something drastic right now…we’re doing something very drastic, and we need to be doing this very drastic thing."
"We need to be striking, we should have done this years ago.”

The WGA has been on strike since May.

Members are protesting against what they called "gig economy" conditions created by the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP), which represents major studios and streamers like Amazon, Apple, Disney, NBCUniversal, Netflix, Paramount, Sony, and Warner Bros. Discovery.

SAG/AFTRA's negotiating committee unanimously voted to support the WGA by joining them on strike after they couldn't reach an agreement with AMPTP after contracts expired on July 12, 2023.

More from News

Screenshot of Kolin Kilpatrick addressing Tarrant County commissioners
TarrantCountyTX/YouTube

Navy Veteran Expertly Rips Texas County Over Proposal To Dramatically Cut Polling Sites Despite Higher Voter Turnout In Mic Drop Rant

A Texas Navy veteran has gone viral after speaking out against a proposed vote in Tarrant County to cut 140 polling sites for the upcoming midterm elections in November.

Tarrant County commissioners delayed a proposal Tuesday to slash the number of polling places by 140 after opponents pushed back during a contentious meeting that saw one man physically removed. The plan would cut polling locations from 316 to 175, with the largest reductions concentrated in heavily minority areas.

Keep ReadingShow less
Michael Fishman (left) pushes back against fans defending former Roseanne co-star Roseanne Barr (right).
@reelmfishman/Instagram; Steven Ferdman/Getty Images

'Roseanne' Star Sounds Off After Fan Claims Reboot Was Unjustly Canceled Over Roseanne Barr's Racist Tweet

What began as a major television comeback for Roseanne Barr ended in controversy in 2018 when a racist tweet about Valerie Jarrett cost the comedian her job and Roseanne its revival.

Michael Fishman regularly revisits his years playing Roseanne Conner’s son, DJ Conner, on social media. But when one fan questioned the fallout that got Barr fired from the Roseanne reboot, Fishman wasn’t about to let it slide.

Keep ReadingShow less
Brooklyn Beckham
@brooklynbeckham/TikTok

Brooklyn Beckham Grosses Out The Internet After Boiling Pasta In Seawater For New Cooking Video

Brooklyn Beckham, the oldest son of David and Victoria Beckham, is making a name for himself on TikTok, but it might not be the name that most people would want: a questionable cook, at best.

Being a Beckham, his TikTok channel was quick to take off, but he's recently pivoted in the direction of at-home cooking and vying for a degree in the culinary arts. Unfortunately, viewers have not been enthusiastic about his culinary creations.

Keep ReadingShow less
Mike Myers as Cat in the Hat
Universal Pictures

The 'Cat In The Hat' Suit From The 2003 Mike Myers Movie Is Being Auctioned Off—And It's Legit Terrifying

If you've ever wanted to own a piece of film history, now's your chance.

Remember back in 2003 when Mike Myers starred in a live action version of Dr. Seuss' The Cat in the Hat? It was low-key kind of terrifying in that uncanny valley way, if you recall.

Keep ReadingShow less
Rosie O'Donnell; Jesse Watters
Bruce Glikas/Getty Images; Roy Rochlin/Getty Images

Rosie O'Donnell Blasts Jesse Watters After His 'Gang Of Unruly Reporter Yellers' Accosts Her At Theater

Rosie O'Donnell recently came back to the United States from her home in Ireland to star in a 75-minute long, limited-run, one-person Off-Broadway show titled Common Knowledge at New York City's Daryl Roth Theatre from July 22 through August 8, 2026.

On August 5, O'Donnell took to her TikTok account to share a pointed message for Fox News talking head Jesse Watters. The controversial sycophant of MAGA Republican President Donald Trump has been sending members of his team to ambush people and aggressively ask them to be on Watters' show.

Keep ReadingShow less