Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

ABC Cancels 'Roseanne' Over Racist Tweet

ABC Cancels 'Roseanne' Over Racist Tweet
BEVERLY HILLS, CA - MARCH 23: Roseanne Barr at the 'Roseanne' Press Conference at the Four Seasons Hotel on March 23, 2018 in Beverly Hills, California. (Photo by Vera Anderson/WireImage)

What was she thinking?

ABC announced on Tuesday afternoon that it is canceling the hit comedy "Roseanne," after star Roseanne Barr fired off a racist tweet against Valerie Jarrett, a former aide to President Barack Obama.

"Muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj," Barr tweeted Tuesday morning. Shortly after intense Twitter backlash, Barr issued an apology to Jarrett, saying her "joke was in bad taste."


I apologize to Valerie Jarrett and to all Americans. I am truly sorry for making a bad joke about her politics and her looks. I should have known better. Forgive me-my joke was in bad taste.

Channing Dungey, President of ABC Entertainment, issued a statement denouncing Barr's tweet, saying that such language is "inconsistent with our values."

Roseanne's Twitter statement is abhorrent, repugnant and inconsistent with our values, and we have decided to cancel her show.

After her apology, Barr subsequently deleted the tweet and then announced that she is leaving Twitter. 

Not long after Barr's secondary Twitter meltdown, Wanda Sykes said that she will be leaving "Roseanne."

Co-star Sara Gilbert, who plays Barr's daughter Darlene, also slammed Barr's offensive statement, saying Barr's comments "do not reflect the beliefs" of the show's cast and crew.

Roseanne’s recent comments about Valerie Jarrett, and so much more, are abhorrent and do not reflect the beliefs of our cast and crew or anyone associated with our show. I am disappointed in her actions, to say the least.

"This is incredibly sad and difficult for all of us, as we’ve created a show that we believe in, are proud of, and that audiences love— one that is separate and apart from the opinions and words of one cast member," Gilbert added.

Civil rights activist DeRay Mckesson called on ABC to cancel the show early Tuesday.

., how desperate are you to profit from Roseanne’s racism? We know racism sells in this country, it always has. But you don’t have to participate in it. This apology is meaningless. Cancel Roseanne.

The revival of "Roseanne," which premiered earlier this year, has drawn audiences of nearly 20 million people and was set to enter its second season this fall. "Over 18 million people! And it was about us!" President Donald Trump said in March.

Barr has pushed conspiracy theories and pro-Trump ideologies before, but this is the first time ABC has done something besides ignoring it. One executive from Disney, which owns ABC, said the cancelation of the show is "a question of right and wrong. And it's a question of our company's values."

Positive reactions to the show's cancelation radiated through the media. "Some things apparently are more important than money, and that's heartening," CNN's Van Jones said.

Other celebrities and media personalities voiced their support for ABC's decision too.

Twitter was filled with appreciative replies from viewers as well.

More from News

Keith Ervin
WJHL/YouTube

Tennessee High Schooler Rips Into 'Cowards' On School Board For Not Firing Colleague Who Called Her 'Hot' In Scathing Takedown

A Tennessee community is in an uproar after a school board member has been allowed to keep his job after making an inappropriate comment to a high schooler.

Washington County high schooler Hannah Campbell delivered a scathing takedown of board member Keith Ervin, who called her "hot" during a public meeting in April.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump
Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

Trump Claims The White House Was 'A Sh*t House' When He Moved Back In—And Everyone Had The Same Response

MAGA Republican President Donald Trump has made significant, controversial changes to the White House since he took up residence for his second term on January 20, 2025.

The renovations in just over one year include installing pavers to replace the grass in the Rose Garden, adding gold decor throughout the building and especially in the Oval Office, renovating the Lincoln bathroom to add marble and more gold fixtures, adding gold signs for White House features like it's one of Trump's resorts, hanging a plethora of massive portraits of himself in gaudy gold frames, and demolishing the entire East Wing of the building to erect a self-described monument to himself, an unpopular golden ballroom that will dwarf the rest of the building.

Keep ReadingShow less
Trump Mobile phone; Screenshot of Trump supporter complaining about Trump Mobile
Joe Raedle/Getty Images; @codenamesteev/TikTok

MAGA Melts Down Hard After Learning They May Never Get Their 'Trump Mobile' Phones—Or Their Deposits Back

MAGA fans who signed up to get Trump Mobile T1 phones nearly a year ago are furious after learning there's no guarantee they'll ever get the phones they put down deposits for—and that these same deposits are now being described as merely a "conditional opportunity."

The Trump Mobile T1 phone was unveiled in June 2025 on the 10th anniversary of Trump’s original presidential campaign launch, marking the Trump brand’s debut in the mobile device and wireless service market. At the time, the company said the phone would be available in August.

Keep ReadingShow less
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
UChicago Institute of Politics/YouTube

People Are Applauding AOC's Refreshing Take On Her Political 'Ambition' After She Was Called Out As A 'Likely 2028 Presidential Candidate'

When asked about her future political ambitions during an appearance at the Institute of Politics at the University of Chicago, New York Democratic Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was notably candid, saying her "ambition is to change this country," as she ripped a Washington Post editorial that tried to knock her down a peg for her take on the morality of billionaires.

The progressive is not currently considered the frontrunner in early 2028 Democratic primary polling but some surveys suggest she has already emerged as a serious contender in what is expected to be a crowded field.

Keep ReadingShow less
Chelsea Handler unleashed one of the night’s most brutal roasts on Tony Hinchcliffe during Netflix’s The Roast of Kevin Hart.
Netflix / The Roast of Kevin Hart

Chelsea Handler Destroys MAGA Comedian With Hilariously Brutal Jokes At Kevin Hart's Roast—And We're Cheering

Chelsea Handler brought the heat to Netflix’s The Roast of Kevin Hart Sunday night, and Tony Hinchcliffe ended up taking some of the night’s most brutal hits.

Handler wasted little time zeroing in on Hinchcliffe, the controversial comedian who has repeatedly sparked backlash over jokes about George Floyd and Puerto Rico. She delivered a string of savage punchlines that left the audience roaring while the comic sat visibly unimpressed.

Keep ReadingShow less