Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Viral Video Of Cops Pepper-Spraying Young Girl During Protest Over Homeless Evictions Sparks Outrage

Viral Video Of Cops Pepper-Spraying Young Girl During Protest Over Homeless Evictions Sparks Outrage
@zwoodford/Twitter

The Halifax Regional Police Force of Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada is facing serious criticism after pepper spraying a young girl during a protest on Wednesday.

The protest was in response to Halifax police forcibly evicting a group of houseless people from their encampments in Halifax city parks.


Police had reportedly been forcing the houseless out of their tents and handing out fines to them if they didn't comply.

Victims of the displacement expressed fear of the Halifax police and said they complied to avoid being brutalized by police officers.

Many people felt the police were being harsh by forcing the homeless out of their encampments without offering them a realistic alternative, a place to go or referring them to any services that may be of use to them.

Subsequently, a protest was organized in Halifax on behalf of the homeless victims.

Reportedly, the protest was peaceful until Halifax police arrested a man who was sitting on top of a shelter to prevent police from removing it. This arrest led to protesters becoming outraged.

Halifax Examiner reporter Zane Woodford was at the protest, interviewing protesters and documenting the event. When Halifax police gathered to try to disperse the protesters, Zane filmed the conflict.

During the attempted dispersal of protesters, an officer was seen deploying OC spray, or pepper spray, and using it on a 10-year-old girl.

Zane caught this on film and uploaded it to his Twitter account, which led to the video going viral and sparking outrage on the forum over police brutality.

Watch the coverage here:


As it turns out, the 10 year-old victim, Lennita Fagan, was not even part of the protest to begin with.

In an interview with Global News, the Fagan family recounted their experience.

Fagan and her father, George Fagan, had been out on a walk to the park, simply enjoying a day out together. When they reached the park they saw the protest but didn't get involved.

George said:

"My plan was to go to the park, where I go all the time. I was at the wrong place at the wrong time."

When the protest started elevating into a conflict with the police, George decided it would be best for him and his daughter to leave the park to avoid getting caught in the middle of the conflict.

Unfortunately, the Fagan family was not able to get out of the conflict, as streets had been blocked off. They could only attempt to escape through a line of riot police.

Lennita got shoved by an officer and the family was separated for a short time. During this time, George heard someone shouting a child had been pepper-sprayed.

He recounted:

"I lost my sh-t. I think any parent would have lost their sh-t."
"What, is my kid a threat? My kid is now a threat to the community? My 10-year-old child is a threat?"

Lennita said of the experience:

"I was scared, I was terrified because I didn't know what was going on."
"That was the scariest day of my life."

She went on to describe the sensation of being pepper-sprayed.

"It felt like an onion going in my eye, because it burned really bad."

After Lennita was pepper-sprayed, George began shouting at the police officer.

"You maced my kid, you maced a f–ing 10-year-old."

George ran to attend to his daughter and was also pepper-sprayed by police.

With Zane's video going viral, the Twitter community is expressing their outrage over the incident.











In the interview, George said he and his daughter have recovered from their injuries, which included George losing his sight for a short time. They both felt like they had "an extreme, bad sunburn" on their faces.

George said of the experience:

"We were going to do what we do together, as a father and daughter. Apparently, we got maced together as a father and daughter."

He then sarcastically remarked:

"Well, there's one off the bucket list."

At this time, Halifax police have not taken responsibility for the incident, but rather insisted the "assaultive" protesters forced their hand in escalating the conflict.

During a press conference on Thursday, Halifax Regional Police chief Dan Kinsella said:

"Officers at the scene were faced with many complexities and the deployment of the sensory irritant is on the scale of use-of-force options that are available, just below certain things that are much more intrusive and could potentially cause further injury to people."

Kinsella said he believes the use of force was justified, but the incident will be further examined.

Fagan, however, does not believe justice has been done.

He said:

"I don't even want an apology. I want him to lose his job."
"I'm not letting this go. This was wrong."

More from Trending

dog and cat snuggling together
Krista Mangulsone on Unsplash

Times Pet Owners 'Severely Underestimated' Their Pets' Intelligence

I've lived with cats—because no one owns a feline—most of my life. Some have been very clever creatures while others were real dingbats.

Family members have owned dogs whose talents also ran the gamut.

Keep Reading Show less
Scott Bessent
Meet the Press/NBC News

Scott Bessent Blasted Over His Bonkers Suggestion For How To Bring Your Own Inflation Rate Down

Continuing to follow the example of MAGA Republican President Donald Trump, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent appeared on Meet the Press Sunday to blame Democratic President Joe Biden for the financial downturn caused by Trump's tariff fiasco, then lied repeatedly about the state of the economy.

Meet the Press host Kristen Welker played a clip of MAGA Republican Vice President JD Vance telling a conservative audience at a Breitbart News event that Americans owe the Trump administration "a little bit of patience"—apparently while they figure out what tariffs are and how they work since they're rolling back more of them to lower consumer prices despite claiming Trump's tariffs don't affect consumer prices.

Keep Reading Show less
Lindsay Lohan attends the men's final during day fifteen of the 2025 US Open Tennis Championships at USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.
Elsa/Getty Images

Lindsay Lohan Is Now Sporting A New Accent—And Fans Aren't Sure What To Make Of It

In a twist freakier than a sequel to Freaky Friday, Lindsay Lohan has debuted yet another new accent—this time at the Fashion Trust Arabia Awards in Doha, Qatar.

Draped in a maroon, jewel-trimmed gown by The New Arrivals Ilkyaz Ozel and accompanied by her husband, Bader Shammas, and their 2-year-old son, Luai, the actress looked serene, elegant, and completely unbothered by the collective whiplash she was about to inflict on the internet.

Keep Reading Show less
Jameela Jamil
Gilbert Flores/Variety/Getty Images

Jameela Jamil Speaks Out Against The Rise Of The 'Aesthetic Of Emaciation' Among Women In Hollywood

Content Warning: eating disorders, thinness as an aesthetic, emaciation in Hollywood

There's no denying that we've been gifted with some incredible music, television shows, and films this year.

Keep Reading Show less
Donald Trump; Screenshot of Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker in "Rush Hour 2"
Andrew Caballero-Reynolds/AFP via Getty Images; New Line Cinema

Trump Is Now Using His Presidential Sway To Pressure Studio Into Making 'Rush Hour 4'—And, Huh?

President Trump has reportedly pressured Paramount head Larry Ellison to make another sequel to Rush Hour, his favorite buddy-cop movie, as the company looks to acquire Warner Bros. Discovery.

The first Rush Hour film, starring Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker, was released in 1998, received positive reviews, and made $245 million worldwide. Chan and Tucker returned for two sequels released in 2001 and 2007 respectively.

Keep Reading Show less