Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Fox News Has Stopped Playing Donald Trump's Rallies Live in Prime Time For Exactly the Reason You Think

Fox News Has Stopped Playing Donald Trump's Rallies Live in Prime Time For Exactly the Reason You Think
ERIE, PA - OCTOBER 10: U.S. President Donald Trump speaks at a rally at the Erie Insurance Arena on October 10, 2018 in Erie, Pennsylvania. This was the second rally hosted by the president this week, including one in Iowa yesterday. (Photo by Jeff Swensen/Getty Images)

Sad!

Make us preferred on Google

Fox News is President Donald Trump's network of choice, but it appears he's no longer a ratings goldmine. Although the president has held more rallies around the country than ever, Fox News has recently stopped airing most of his events in full because viewership numbers for Trump's events have dipped below some of Fox News' own programming.

Trump held three rallies last week. On Saturday, the network showed Trump's speech from Topeka, Kansas, in full. But a Tuesday rally in Council Bluffs, Iowa, was not aired live on any major network. Last night, instead of airing a rally Trump held in Erie, Pennsylvania, Fox News stuck with its coverage of Hurricane Michael.


The Nielsen ratings indicate that Trump is no longer a surefire bet to beat Fox personalities Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity, or Laura Ingraham. On August 30, a Trump rally in Evansville, Indiana, took the network's 8 p.m. slot, earning 2.536 million viewers. However, that number is 2.8 million viewers Carlson averaged at that time during 2018’s third quarter.

The president rallied far less frequently in 2017, but his events at times commanded more than 4 million viewers on Fox News. A Politico assessment of Nielsen ratings found that Trump hasn't come close to that number in 2018. Nielsen shows that Trump's rallies this year have typically ranged from 2.5 to 3.5 million viewers. That depends "on a variety of factors, including day, time and whether there’s something big on another channel," Politico notes.

With so many rallies, “they don’t want to give up so much prime-time real estate,” said one person familiar with Fox News’ decision making.

A Senate Republican campaign staffer said of the coverage of Trump rallies:

“It exposes us to a national audience that we normally don’t get to. We tend to see lots of new sign-ups and small-dollar donations. There’s obviously folks streaming [rallies] online, but being able to be onstage with the president in front of a prime-time audience is huge for a campaign trying to reach conservatives across the country who will open up their wallets.”

A source close to the president described the declining coverage as a “huge loss on the state and local level for Republicans because they’re certainly not going to get any of that on other cable networks." They added: “If they stop taking them completely, that might create a problem. Trump is a massive consumer of the media, so he may be disappointed.”

Neither the White House nor Fox News has responded to requests for comment. A senior White House official said officials plan to investigate why the network would decide to cut away from presidential rallies. The official noted that it's likely White House communications director Bill Shine, a former Fox News executive, has spoken to colleagues about the trend.

The president has faced heated criticism for his decision to hold the rally in Erie just hours after Hurricane Michael, a category four storm, made landfall in Florida.

The president defended himself, saying canceling the event would be "very, very unfair to thousands of people."

Officials are concerned the death toll from the hurricane could rise as search crews struggle to gain access to severely affected areas.

More from People/donald-trump

Pete Hegseth
Jim Watson/AFP via Getty Images

Pete Hegseth's Past Comments About Hygiene Resurface After He's Caught On Video Running His Snotty Hands Through His Hair

Remarks about not having washed his hands "in 10 years" resurfaced after Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth was caught on video wiping his nose with his hands before immediately running those same hands through his hair.

Hegseth was seen doing just that while listening to Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent deliver remarks. Footage went viral after it was shared by progressive journalist Aaron Rupar.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Darline Graham
NewsNation

Lindsey Graham's Sister Hit With Hilariously Brutal Factcheck After Claiming She's 'Not Being Handed' His Senate Seat

Darline Graham, the sister of late Republican Senator Lindsey Graham, was swiftly fact-checked after claiming that she's "not being handed" her brother's seat even though she quite literally was named to temporarily fill it.

Senator Graham died on the evening of July 11 after returning from an official visit to Ukraine. According to a preliminary finding from the medical examiner, shared by his office, Graham died after suffering an aortic dissection—a tear in the inner wall of the aorta—linked to hardening of the arteries.

Keep ReadingShow less
John Hinckley Jr. (left) shares a new message for Jodie Foster (right) 45 years after the assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan.
The Mark Joseph Show/YouTube; Gary Gershoff/WireImage

John Hinckley Jr. Shares New Message For Jodie Foster 45 Years After Shooting Ronald Reagan To Impress Her

Some Hollywood stories fade with time. The disturbing history connecting Jodie Foster and John Hinckley Jr. is not one of them. For those who don’t know, on March 30, 1981, Hinckley waited outside the Washington Hilton in Washington, D.C., where President Ronald Reagan had just addressed 5,000 members of the AFL-CIO.

As Reagan emerged from the hotel, Hinckley fired six shots from a revolver. One bullet ricocheted off Reagan’s limousine and struck him beneath his arm. White House Press Secretary James Brady, police officer Thomas Delahanty and Secret Service agent Timothy McCarthy were also wounded.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump; Scott MacFarlane
Jim Watson/AFP via Getty Images; CNN

Journalist Reveals Just How Much Money Has Been Diverted From National Parks For Trump's Vanity Projects—And People Are Livid

In a series of articles for MacFarlane News and MeidasTouch, videos, and an appearance on CNN, Chief Washington Correspondent for MeidasTouch Scott MacFarlane blew the whistle on MAGA Republican President Donald Trump’s raiding of National Park Service (NPS) funds. Aided by his Interior Secretary Doug Burgum, Trump diverted NPS money to pay for all of his White House and Washington D.C. vanity projects.

Trump’s hand-selected, mostly unwanted and unnecessary White House grounds and National Mall projects—things like a botched reflecting pool resurfacing, golden decor, a helipad, a ballroom, gilded statues, and giant flagpoles—alone took $423 million from major national parks across the country.

Keep ReadingShow less
Woman using hair tie
aire images/Getty Images

Engaged Woman Sparks Theories After Finding Strange Hair Tie Near Her And Fiancé's Home Entryway

Finding out that your partner is cheating doesn't always have to involve accidentally seeing a nefarious text message or walking in on the act. But sometimes, signs of what could be cheating might have a far stranger explanation.

Posting in the "Girl Dinner Diaries" subReddit, Redditor Jack-of-not posted a photo of an open-faced sandwich and explained what she'd discovered:

Keep ReadingShow less