Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

John Oliver's Warning To Meghan Markle In 2018 About Joining The Royal Family Was Spot On

John Oliver's Warning To Meghan Markle In 2018 About Joining The Royal Family Was Spot On
@Mara_Webster/Twitter; Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images
Make us preferred on Google

The world was in a total excited tizzy in 2018 in anticipation of the Royal wedding between American actress Meghan Markle, now Duchess of Sussex, and Prince Harry. It seemed like everyone was talking about it, writing about it and dreaming about it.

But when late-night talk show host Stephen Colbert interviewed British comedian John Oliver about the then-upcoming Royal nuptials, Oliver surprisingly didn't share the same level of excitement.


A segment of that interview went viral at the time, in which Oliver cautiously hoped for Markle's happiness. But had some reservations.

You can watch the segment here:

During the interview, Colbert tried to remain hopeful:

"[But] this generation seems like nice people, right?"

Oliver hesitantly stated:

"Yeah... I mean, they're an emotionally stunted group of fundamentally flawed people doing a very silly pseudo job."
"That's what she's marrying into. So I hope she likes it. It's going to be weird for her."

Oliver also said prior to the wedding:

"I would not blame her if she pulled out of this at the last minute."

Though Markle did follow through with her wedding day, the celebration was not destined to last.

In January 2020, the couple departed the royal family. Since then, they've established a life in California and are gradually increasing their time in view of the media.

That includes Meghan and Harry's interview with TV personality, Oprah Winfrey this past Sunday in which they addressed the real reasons behind their departure from the royal family.

The couple has been actively defamed in the media since January 2020, assuming silly or immature reasons for their departure from England... but that's about as far from the truth as you could get, according to the interview.

They both expressed a need to distance themselves from social media and from the "institution" because of their mental health.

The worst part was for Markle, who at one time had suicidal thoughts, but then was not allowed to get medical help because it would be bad for the institution's "appearance."

"I just didn't see a solution."
"Look, I was really ashamed to have to say it at the time and ashamed to have to admit it to Harry especially, because I know how much loss he's suffered."
"But I knew that if I didn't say that I would do it ... and I just didn't ― I just didn't want to be alive anymore. And that was a very clear and real and frightening constant thought."
"I remember how [Harry] just cradled me. I went to the institution. And I said that I needed to go somewhere to get help."
"And I said that I'd never felt this way before. I need to go somewhere. And I was told that I couldn't, because it wouldn't be good for the institution."

Markle also shared how her child was treated differently because of the color of his skin.

"The most important title I will ever have is mom."
"The idea of our son not being safe, and also the idea that the first member of color in this family not being titled in the same way that other grandchildren would be."
"The other piece of that conversation; there's the George V or George VI convention that when you're the grandchild of a monarch, so when Harry's dad becomes king, automatically Archie and our next baby would become prince or princess or whatever they're going to be."
"I could never understand how it wouldn't be seen as an added benefit and a reflection of the world today, especially right now, to go how inclusive is that that you can see someone who looks like you in this family, much less someone who was born into it."

The internet has been chilled since then by how perfectly spot on Oliver's estimate was of Markle's future experiences with the royal family.




While he may have been wrong about her abandoning her marriage all-together, the rest of what he said sticks.

In a response to the interview, Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Harry's grandmother, issued a statement in which she did not dispute or refute Harry and Meghan's claims.

"The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan. The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning."
"While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately. Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved family members."

More from Trending

Screenshots of Tim Pool and Mason
Surrounded/Jubilee

Right-Wing Podcaster Storms Off Debate Show Set After Being Epically Called Out For Grifting Off Of 'Civil War' Claims

Right-wing podcaster Tim Pool was widely mocked after storming off the set of the debate series Surrounded when he was grilled over his constant claims that the United States is tracking towards a "civil war."

Pool recently appeared in Jubilee’s series, where progressive commentator Mason challenged his repeated warnings that the U.S. could be heading toward a “civil war.”

Keep ReadingShow less
Scrreenshot of Jon Ossoff; Donald Trump and Natalie Harp
@Acyn/X; Mandel Ngan/AFP via Getty Images

Jon Ossoff Rips Trump During Speech With Brutal Dig About His Problematic Relationship With Fawning Young Aide

Georgia Democratic Senator Jon Ossoff took aim at President Donald Trump's problematic relationship with his young aide Natalie Harp during a campaign speech on Sunday.

Last month, Trump reportedly took extraordinary security precautions during a trip to Turkey, secretly switching from Air Force One to a military aircraft after an alleged threat. Although he was publicly seen boarding the presidential jet, he was later transported to the military plane concealed inside a catering truck.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots of Donald Trump and John Teichert
Fox News

Trump Just Threatened To 'Bomb The Sh*t Out Of' Oman—And Even Fox News Is Flabbergasted

Even Fox News is stunned after President Donald Trump threatened to "bomb the sh*t out of" Oman if the country "gets in the way" of talks between the U.S. and Iran.

Trump’s remarks came amid stalled U.S.-Iran negotiations and separate talks between Iran and Oman over how commercial shipping could resume through the Strait of Hormuz. Fox News correspondent Trey Yingst reported that Trump warned the U.S. would attack Oman if it interfered with American efforts, though Fox did not release audio of the interview.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Donald Trump speaking at rally
@Acyn/X

MAGA Rally Crowd Applauds After Trump Says He'll 'Never Apologize' For Higher Gas Prices In Surreal Viral Video

President Donald Trump was met with applause from supporters in a surreal moment at a MAGA rally on Long Island, New York, after he told attendees he'd "never apologize" for higher gas costs due to his war with Iran.

A recent Gallup poll found that 55 percent of respondents felt their finances were worsening, a level of pessimism exceeding that seen during both the COVID-19 pandemic and the 2008 financial crisis. This comes as the highly unpopular war in Iran continues to rage, sending gas prices surging. Americans have spent an additional $59 billion on fuel since Trump launched the war.

Keep ReadingShow less