Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Armie Hammer Isn't As Sure About A 'Call Me By Your Name' Sequel As He Used To Be

Armie Hammer Isn't As Sure About A 'Call Me By Your Name' Sequel As He Used To Be
John Lamparski/WireImage/GettyImages

Now that Armie Hammer, 32, has had time to think about it, he is unsure about revisiting his character, Oliver, from the 2017 coming-of-age drama, Call Me By Your Name.

Fans of the film were enamored of the brilliant performances by Hammer and his on-screen love interest Timothée Chalamet as their characters' slow-burn affection for one another unfurled into a passionate dalliance against the vista of a sumptuous Italian countryside in the early 1980s.

The poignant ending left fans of the film wondering, where would they go from here?

Now audiences may never know because Hammer is pulling out, so to speak.


He believes in leaving the beautiful production in the past, with no chance of a sequel to ruin it.

The actor told Vulture:

"I think we're setting ourselves up for disappointment."
"I don't know that anything will match up to the first, you know?"


Hammer's new outlook is an about-face from last year's comment in which he teased Variety about a CMBYN 2, "it will happen."

"Because there are already people working on it and trying to make it happen."


Hammer, who stars in Hotel Mumbai with costar Dev Patel, continued in the Variety interview:

"More than anything I trust the artistic direction to Luca and [novelist] André Aciman and to those guys who did such a good job handling it the first time around."
"The only thing I want to see is I want to see it happen. I want to do it again."

He reflected on the entire filming experience as a "special time."

"If we get to do another one, I'll feel really lucky."

Director Luca Guadagnino had already expressed interest in making a sequel with Hammer and Chalamet that takes place during the 1990s at the early stages of the AIDS epidemic.


But now the 6'5 tall gent is changing his tune, and Vulture contributor Rachel Handler asked why the honeymoon is over.

"Timmy's out! I'm not sure why. Timmy said the only way he'd do it is if they paid him $15 million," he joked, referring to his Oscar-nominated costar and friend.



"No, the truth is, there have been really loose conversations about it, but at the end of the day – I'm sort of coming around to the idea that the first one was so special for everyone who made it, and so many people who watched it felt like it really touched them, or spoke to them."
"And it felt like a really perfect storm of so many things."

In addition to believing lightning won't strike twice, Hammer said he hasn't spoken with Chalamet or Guadagnino about revisiting CMBYN.

However, he did concede:

"If we end up with an incredible script, and Timmy's in and Luca's in, I'd be an asshole to say no."
"But at the same time, I'm like, 'That was such a special thing, why don't we just leave that alone?"'

Some fans agree with Hammer.





People wanting to return to rustic Italy and see more love-making with peaches felt dejected.







One cinemaphile offered a suggestion in the hopes of keeping Oliver and Elio alive.



CMBYN was based on André Aciman's eponymous novel that was published in 2007. The story was never intended as a series, and there is currently no script to extend Oliver and Elio's story.

For now.

More from Entertainment/tv-and-movies

A young child heads out for Halloween fun (left); HOA’s viral letter (right)
Brandon Bell/Getty Images; u/Pschobbert/Reddit

HOA Bans Outsiders from Trick-or-Treating

In the battle of HOA wills, Reddit has crowned a new villain: the suburban gatekeepers who want to ban “outsider” trick-or-treaters.

Redditor u/Pschobbert posted a photo of a stern HOA letter in the "r/mildlyinfuriating" subreddit, sending the internet into collective disbelief—and laughter.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jennifer Lawrence; Ariana Grande
BG048/Bauer-Griffin/GC Images; Saturday Night Live/YouTube

Jennifer Lawrence Explains How She Felt About Ariana Grande's SNL Impression Of Her—And Yeah, Fair

Oscar-winning actor Jennifer Lawrence is opening up about what it was like to be the 2010s "It Girl"—and the backlash that quickly ensued.

In a recent interview with The New Yorker to promote her new movie Die My Love, Lawrence looked back on her irreverent 2010s persona that seemed to strike everyone as refreshingly irreverent at first, but soon became grating.

Keep ReadingShow less
William Daniels; Donald Trump
Gary Gershoff/Getty Images; Andrew Caballero-Reynolds/AFP via Getty Images

Boy Meets World's Mr. Feeny Schools Trump With Blistering Take On His Destruction Of The White House East Wing

As MAGA Republican President Donald Trump continues to transform the White House into something befitting the Trump name—tacky, tasteless, and slathered in gold—Emmy Award winning actor William Daniels urged people to reflect on what they've lost.

Sharing a photo with Ken Howard as Thomas Jefferson, Howard da Silva as Ben Franklin, and Daniels as John Adams from the film 1776, the actor recalled performing in the now demolished theatre at the White House for Republican President Richard Nixon in 1970.

Keep ReadingShow less
Woman investigates if J.D. Vance wears eyeliner
Tiktok/@mamasissiesays

TikToker Hilariously Identifies Exact Brand And Shade Of Eyeliner J.D. Vance Wears In Resurfaced Video

Casey, an eagle-eyed TikToker who posts videos under the username @mamasissiesays, had social media users buzzing in a resurfaced video from last year investigating whether Vice President JD Vance actually wears eyeliner. At the very end of the video, Casey even shared that she believes she found the exact shade he prefers.

Casey posted the video amid intense rumors about Vance's eyeliner use. An investigation by Slate implied that Vance’s long eyelashes and hooded eyelids likely create some conveniently placed shadows. His wife, Usha Vance, confirmed to Puck News that his look was “all natural,” and admitted that she's "always been jealous of those lashes.”

Keep ReadingShow less
MAGA hats
Charley Triballeau/Getty Images

Single MAGA Women Complain That D.C.'s Conservative Dating Scene Lacks 'Masculine' Men—And We're Cackling

Social media users pounced with jokes after MAGA women spoke to the Washington Post and the New York Times about the lack of "masculine" men in Washington, D.C., which is hilarious for a party pretty much obsessed with the way "real men" act.

The notion that masculinity is being attacked–namely by the left wing–is a popular one among Republicans such as Missouri Senator Josh Hawley, who once accused "the Left" of hurting "the future of the American man" and went on to claim the "deconstruction of America begins with and depends on the deconstruction of American men."

Keep ReadingShow less