Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

The Pentagon Has Begun Retaliating Against Journalists, and They're Speaking Out

The Pentagon Has Begun Retaliating Against Journalists, and They're Speaking Out
Defense Secretary Jim Mattis tells senators on the Senate Appropriations Committee's defense subcommittee that President Donald J. Trump has assigned responsibility for determining the number of U.S. troops in Afghanistan to him. DoD photo by Navy Petty Officer 2nd Class Dominique A. Pineiro

Tensions are rising.

The Pentagon has been punishing reporters and restricting access to top Defense Department officials, Politico reported on Thursday. Journalists are becoming increasingly frustrated with the administration's lack of transparency and retaliatory behavior toward stories they don't like.


Jason Schwartz detailed a "combative" interaction between members of the media and Pentagon spokesperson Dana White in which White said the Pentagon was "watching what they wrote and put on-air — with the implication that there would be repercussions for stories she and her staff did not like."

Schwartz said it has become increasingly difficult to access Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, noting that "several reporters said that they increasingly feel as though individual journalists are being retaliated against for stories they’ve written, losing yet more access."

One such example cited by Schwartz involved Defense One, a military news outlet that published a piece critical of President Donald Trump's proposed Space Force. Defense One was "left out of a media roundtable with the deputy secretary of defense earlier this month to help roll out President Donald Trump’s proposed Space Force," Schwartz said.

"It seems Defense One was deliberately left out of a briefing in retaliation for our reporting," Defense One Executive Editor Kevin Baron said. Baron added that he received an apology from White and that his publication "would be included to all future, relevant briefings."

Baron also said the "climate" reeks of "retaliation."

"Because of the preexisting climate, people start to wonder if it’s retaliation more than I think you would normally," he said. "I worry, because I’ve heard that it may be happening to other reporters, and I worry what kind of signal it sends to the rest of military bases around the world."

Baron added:

It’s definitely a change of past practice from previous administrations and defense secretaries. It’s not something that we’re used to at the Pentagon. Things are just different at the Pentagon. These are veteran reporters who cover life and death and war and peace.

In a statement, Pentagon spokesman Charles Summers said the Defense Department was committed to "the accessibility of timely and accurate information to the media, the Congress, and the American people."

We are guided by the principles of information and committed to ensuring the accessibility of timely and accurate information to the media, the Congress and the American people. And we prioritize diversity of reporting during engagements and travel with Secretary Mattis and all of our senior leaders in the Department of Defense.

Summers later told Politico "there is no retaliation" against the media and that journalists who feel shut out of foreign trips should understand that the Pentagon is trying to use "regional media and bring non-traditional media."

"The notion that someone doesn’t have access or someone is shut out, that’s absolutely not accurate," Summers added.

But Schwartz wrote that a number of Pentagon reporters feel growing frustration with their ability to deliver information to the American people about the Defense Department.

One reporter told Schwartz: "There is a climate of punitiveness here if you don’t write what they like." And they weren't alone.

Another reporter said: "It’s not unusual for an administration to monitor what reporters are doing and reporters produce. What’s unusual now is it’s being used to evaluate whether we’ll be included in things or invited to things. ... It’s never been so overt."

Others told Politico that NBC's Courtney Kube "has not been invited to multiple briefings and has been left off emails alerting reporters about press opportunities." They believe this is due to a piece Kube wrote about contention between Trump and Mattis.

Two other reporters said the New York Times was missing from a briefing after the outlet published a story on the four American soldiers who were killed in Niger last year - ahead of the release of the  Pentagon's official report.

Schwartz noted that Times Washington Bureau Chief Elisabeth Bumiller declined to comment.

There have also been instances of the Pentagon quashing specific stories they don't like, reporters told Schwartz.

"There have been individual cases where people have been told we don’t like your coverage," one reporter said. "You’ll say to someone innocuously, ‘Are you going to that briefing?’ and that’s how you’ll discover they weren’t invited. You don’t know. You find out by accident you weren’t invited."

In May, the Pentagon allegedly rescinded an offer to embed the Washington Post’s Dan Lamothe with U.S. Special Forces in Afghanistan "after officials objected to an April story he wrote on Afghan commandos, according to reporters familiar with the situation."

Lamothe said in a statement to Politico:

During a reporting visit in April to cover U.S. troops in Afghanistan, I was offered a rare opportunity to embed with U.S. Special Forces fighting Islamic State militants in Afghanistan. While preparing for that assignment in May, I was told that the Special Forces embed offer was revoked. I traveled back to Afghanistan a short time later, and instead accepted offers to embed with the Army’s new security force adviser brigade and U.S. military advisers who train the Afghan air force. I stand by my reporting, and thank the units that allowed me to spend time alongside them.

Though Pentagon reporters generally shy away from politicizing Defense Department activities, Schwartz wrote that the overall political environment is inching toward making this impossible.

"Many believe Mattis has avoided the press in part to stay out of the president’s crosshairs," Schwartz said.

More from People/donald-trump

James Talarico; Stephen Colbert
CBS

Stephen Colbert Rips CBS For Banning Interview With Texas Democrat Due To FCC Threat

Late-night host Stephen Colbert criticized CBS for attempting to ban him from interviewing Texas Senate candidate James Talarico, and from even mentioning the interview on air, due to threats from Brendan Carr, the chair of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).

Talarico, who represents Texas in the state House, has previously made headlines for calling out Texas Republicans for "trying to force public schools" to display the Ten Commandments and has generated significant buzz as a forceful voice for Democrats in a state largely in the hands of the GOP.

Keep ReadingShow less
American Girl Dolls; Tweet by @deestiv
Marvin Joseph/The Washington Post/Getty Images; @deestiv/X

American Girl Dolls Just Got An 'Ozempic' Makeover For The 'Modern Era'—And People Are Not Impressed

There's nothing quite like the grip American Girl dolls had on Millennials during the mid-1990s and early 2000s.

Created in 1986 by the Pleasant Company, American Girl dolls were meant to model positive core values with dolls that resembled young women from various time periods across American history and different favorite hobbies, like horseback riding and cheerleading.

Keep ReadingShow less
A line of rotisserie chickens with a reaction from X overlayed on top.
UCG / Contributor/Getty Images

'Wall Street Journal' Ripped After Saying Millennials And Gen Zers Are 'Splurging' On 'Rotisserie Chickens' Instead Of Buying Homes

It's sadly all too common for older generations to look down on millennials and criticize their constant complaining about how "hard" life is and how they can't afford to be homeowners.

That criticism almost always ignores factors like the rising cost of housing, increasingly low salaries, and a continuous housing shortage.

Keep ReadingShow less
Cardi B
Aaron J. Thornton/WireImage/Getty Images

Cardi B Claps Back Hard At Homeland Security After They Mock Her For Threatening To 'Jump' ICE At Her Concert

People unfamiliar with rap music may not know much about the art form or its stars.

The majority of the world might only know Cardi B as one of the women—with Megan Thee Stallion—behind the song "WAP" that was certified Platinum nine times in just the United States before hitting Diamond eligible status in late 2025 with 10 million units sold.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump
Saul Loeb/AFP via Getty Images

Trump Roasted After Making Bonkers Comparison Between Gas Prices In Iowa And California

President Donald Trump was widely mocked for making a nonsensical comparison between gas prices in Iowa versus California during a ceremony at the White House in which he was given an award for being the "undisputed champion of beautiful clean coal."

Trump's recognition reportedly came from the Washington Coal Club, a pro-coal advocacy organization with financial links to the sector. The award was presented by James Grech, chief executive of Peabody Energy, the nation’s largest coal producer. The bronze trophy depicts a miner equipped with a headlamp and pickaxe.

Keep ReadingShow less