Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Disney Opens Its Wallet For Orlando Victims and Their Families

Disney Opens Its Wallet For Orlando Victims and Their Families

[DIGEST: People, Orlando Sentinel]

The Walt Disney Corporation pledged a $1 million donation on Tuesday to assist those affected by Sunday’s mass shooting at Orlando’s Pulse nightclub, which left 49 dead and 53 injured. The attack was the deadliest mass shooting by a single gunman in American history.


"We are heartbroken by this tragedy and hope our commitment will help those in the community affected by this senseless act," said Bob Chapek, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. "With 74,000 Cast Members who call Orlando home, we mourn the loss of the victims and offer our condolences to their families, friends and loved ones."

Bob Chapek. (Credit: Source.)

Additionally, Disney will provide complimentary accommodations for families and friends of the victims via a joint effort led by the city of Orlando and the Central Florida Hotel and Lodging Association. The company, it announced in a blog post, will work in coordination with agencies in the Central Florida area to help those in need. “In coordination with OneBlood, cast members and other employees working at Walt Disney World Resort wishing to donate blood to help victims may donate at five designated locations across the resort property.”

Disney’s $1 million donation went to the One Orlando Fund. Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer established the fund to

assist those affected by the tragedy. He announced the creation of the fund at a vigil at the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts Monday.

"The purpose of the Fund is to provide a way to help respond to the needs of our community, now and in the time to come," Dyer said. The fund will distribute the money through non-profit organizations serving the victims and their families and Hispanic, LGBTQ and faith groups. Money will also go to “underlying causes of this tragic event,” though it is still not clear what this might entail. The Central Florida Foundation, home to more than 400 charitable organizations, will distribute the funds.

Buddy Dyer. (Credit: Source.)

Central Florida Foundation CEO Mark Brewer says grants should be awarded within the next few weeks. “We talked to the people in Aurora and Boston before we did this," he said, referencing other communities in Colorado and Massachusetts struck by mass violence. “There will be needs we can't anticipate yet. The nagging question we'll have to address in all this is: How did this happen? What is going on in the community that made this possible, and what can we do to prevent it?"

The OneOrlando fund complements a GoFundMe campaign set up by Equality Florida. The campaign has received more than $4.2 million in donations as of Wednesday morning. The GoFundMe money will go to the National Compassion Fund, which exists solely to distribute aid to victims of mass casualties.

More from News

Donald Trump
Andrew Harnik/Getty Images

Trump Is Getting Roasted After Wearing A Strangely Un-Trump-Like Outfit Following His Mamdani Meeting

President Donald Trump was widely roasted after he stepped out on Saturday in something other than his usual suit and tie following his bizarrely chummy meeting with New York City Mayor-elect Zohran Mamdani.

Trump isn't the world's snappiest dresser; he's known for wearing ill-fitting suits and his hair is often unkempt (and don't get us started on his orange makeup).

Keep ReadingShow less
Fortnite Just Dropped A Massive 'Bus Load' Of Homer Simpsons In Santa Monica Without Warning
@FNBRintel/X

Fortnite Just Dropped A Massive 'Bus Load' Of Homer Simpsons In Santa Monica Without Warning

Marketing in today's day and age can be tricky. It's never been easy to break through the noise in advertising, but today's marketers are competing with people at the top of their game.

Residents of Santa Monica, California, were met with an unusual sight earlier this week when a bus full of people dressed as Homer Simpson poured into the streets. The visit appeared to be part of a promotional stunt for the newly launched “Fortnite x Simpsons” season of the popular online game, whose recent update introduced a Springfield-themed island.

Keep ReadingShow less
A close up of MIllie Bobby Brown and another close up of Millie Bobby Brown holding a cat.
BuzzFeed Celeb/YouTube

Fans Defend Millie Bobby Brown After People Rush To Judgment Because Her Baby Cried During Video Shoot

It's easy to rush to judgment when we witness someone behaving a certain way or making a decision that's different from what we would do.

It's arguably even easier to rush to judgment about celebrities, whether or not this was something done consciously in front of fans or viewers on television or social media, or in a candid moment when they didn't know they were being watched or recorded.

Keep ReadingShow less
Zohran Mamdani and Donald Trump
Jim Watson/AFP via Getty Images

Zohran Mamdani Doubles Down On Calling Trump A 'Fascist' After Bizarrely Chummy Meeting

New York City Mayor-elect Zohran Mamdani doubled down in an interview with Meet the Press on his decision to call President Donald Trump a "fascist," saying he sticks by something he's already "said in the past."

During their meeting in the Oval Office on Friday, a reporter asked Mamdani about a bipartisan resolution passed in the House of Representatives condemning socialism, a move that coincided with the democratic socialist Mamdani's visit to Washington.

Keep ReadingShow less
AI-Powered Teddy Bear Pulled From Market After It Offered Graphic Sexual Advice
FoloToy

AI-Powered Teddy Bear Pulled From Market After It Offered Graphic Sexual Advice

At this point it really seems like there is far more evidence that AI tools are not ready for primetime than that they're going to change the world for good.

Mishap after mishap after mishap keeps happening, including sending people into literal psychosis. Now, we can add a new WTF problem to that roster: toys that accidentally give kids sex advice.

Keep ReadingShow less