Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Baseball Star Apologizes After Hot Mic Catches Him Hurling 'Horrific' Homophobic Slur At Heckler

Jarren Duran
Ed Zurga/Getty Images

Boston Red Sox star Jarren Duran has apologized after he could be heard calling a heckler in the crowd a 'f****t' during a game against the Houston Astros on Sunday.

Boston Red Sox outfielder Jarren Duran apologized after being caught making a highly offensive homophobic remark in response to a heckler at Fenway Park.

During an at-bat in the bottom of the sixth inning on Sunday's match against the Houston Astros, a fan heckled the 2024 All-Star Game MVP and remarked that he needed a "tennis racket."


Duran couldn't handle the ridicule.

In response, he faced the heckler and said:

"Shut up, you f'kin' f*ggot."

His remarks were picked up by the New England Sports Network (NESN) mic and heard by audiences tuned in to the broadcast.

You can watch the clip, here.

Warning: Homophobic slur.

The internet was disappointed by his response to the fan's ribbing.


After his team lost 10-2, Duran apologized for uttering the gay epithet with a statement, saying:

"During tonight’s game, I used a truly horrific word when responding to a fan."
"I feel awful knowing how many people I offended and disappointed."

He continued:

“I apologize to the entire Red Sox organization, but more importantly to the entire LGBTQ+ community."
"Our young fans are supposed to be able to look up to me as a role model, but tonight I fell far short of that responsibility.”

Duran vowed to take the opportunity to educate himself and his teammates to further "grow as a person.”

His apology was met with a mixed response.

Some thought his not making excuses was admirable, while others still struggled to forgive him.



Others noted how he only apologized for only one reason.


The Red Sox also addressed the situation in a club statement that read:

“We echo Jarren’s apology to our fans, especially to the LGBTQ+ community."
"We strive to be an organization that welcomes all fans to Fenway Park, and we will continue to educate our employees, players, coaches and staff on the importance of inclusivity.”

According to Awful Announcing, the incident came days before another in which the NESN hot mic picked up Duran calling another fan a "b*tch."

In an update, ESPN’s Jeff Passan reported that Duran has been suspended for two games by the Red Sox, effective immediately.

Here is a press conference where Duran spoke for the first time since being suspended.

Social media users alleged this was normalized language and behavior from Duran.


The use of homophobic slurs from pro athletes like Duran is the reason why LGBTQ+ pro athletes have historically remained in the closet.

The sports world still breeds misogyny among male players, in locker room banter and out on the field where being gay is stigmatized.

Systemic homophobia in sports was an ongoing problem mentioned by out footballer Josh Cavallo, a left-back and central midfielder for A-League Men's club Adelaide United in South Australia.

Last year, he wrote a powerful message to homophobes who have left him death threats since he came out in 2021.

“I want to help change this, to show that everyone is welcome in the game of football, and deserves the right to be their authentic self," said Cavallo, adding that social media platforms need to "do better."

He added that the slightest anti-LGBTQ+ abuse "can be more harmful than you think."

LGBTQ+ Youth can get help through:

  • TrevorChat — 24/7/365 at https://www.thetrevorproject.org/get-help-now/#services
  • TrevorLifeline — phone service available 24/7 at 1-866-488-7386
  • TrevorText — Text “START” to 678678. Available 24/7/365.
  • TrevorSpace — online international peer-to-peer community for LGBTQ young people and their friends at https://www.trevorspace.org/
  • Trevor Support Center — LGBTQ youth & allies can find answers to FAQs and explore resources at https://www.thetrevorproject.org/resources/trevor-support-center/#sm.0000121hx9lvicotqs52mb1saenel

More from News/lgbtq

David Corenswet auditioning for 'Superman'
@DiscussingFilm/Twitter (X)

David Corenswet's 'Superman' Audition Self-Tape Has The Internet Swooning Hard

With almost every major film release, thanks to social media, there's the immense joy of getting to see audition tapes.

We've seen some incredible tapes of Robert Downey, Jr., auditioning for Tony Stark and Ironman in the previous phase of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. We've seen auditions from Ariana Grande and Cynthia Erivo for Wicked: Part One and Wicked: For Good.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jamie Lee Curtis
Don Arnold/WireImage

Jamie Lee Curtis Has Iconic Response After Fans Are Stunned By Her Busty 'Freakier Friday' Look

Once again proving that she knows her way around a red carpet, and the internet, Jamie Lee Curtis stunned audiences with her appearance at a recent Freakier Friday screening.

The screening, at the El Capitan Theatre in Los Angeles, invited fans to "Dress like Tess [Coleman]," Curtis' character from the body-swap comedies.

Keep ReadingShow less
Alan Cumming as Nightcrawler
20th Century Fox

Alan Cumming's Description Of What It Was Like Shooting 'Avengers: Doomsday' Leaves Fans Worried

Moviegoers were given their fill of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) this summer with the release of The Fantastic Four: The First Steps, an acclaimed new entry that also saw the cinematic luck of the the Fantastic Four finally turn around for the better.

However, we haven't seen an Avengers film, in which the majority of the MCU's best loved heroes all join forces and come together, since 2019's Avengers: Endgame.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump; Wes Moore
Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images; Paul Morigi/Getty Images

Trump Threatens To Take Back Funding To Fix Baltimore Bridge After Maryland Governor Considers Redistricting

President Donald Trump lashed out at Maryland Governor Wes Moore after Moore said he may redistrict his state to eliminate its one Republican-held House seat, threatening to take back federal funds to repair Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge following its March 2024 collapse.

The collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge occurred when a container ship struck the structure, causing it to crumble like a house of cards into the Patapsco River. The tragic event resulted in the deaths of six individuals who were working on the bridge at the time and led to the closure of one of the nation's busiest ports.

Keep ReadingShow less
Sydney Sweeney
Rodin Eckenroth/WireImage

Sydney Sweeney Sparks Debate After Calling Out Women For Criticizing Her Bathwater Soap

Actor Sydney Sweeney has certainly been no stranger to controversy lately. But now it seems she may be actively courting it.

Sweeney caused a firestorm in recent weeks with an American Eagle jeans ad that played on thinly veiled dog whistles about her supposedly perfect blond-haired, blue-eyed "genes," which many interpreted as pandering to the far-right.

Keep ReadingShow less