Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

'Avatar' Star Edie Falco Reveals She Mistakenly Assumed The Sequel Had Already Opened And Bombed

'Avatar' Star Edie Falco Reveals She Mistakenly Assumed The Sequel Had Already Opened And Bombed
Bruce Glikas/WireImage/GettyImages

The 'Avatar: The Way of Water' star filmed her part over four years ago.

Actress Edie Falco, who is one of the stars in James Cameron's Avatar: The Way of Water, admitted she mistakenly assumed the sequel to 2009's Avatar had already been released and bombed at the box office.

After Avatar's massive success at the box office at the time, two sequels were announced for release in December 2014 and 2015.


However, the films which were to be shot simultaneously kept getting pushed back due to pre-production challenges.

Principal photography for The Way of Water finally began on September 25, 2017.

Five years later, fans got to see the long-awaited sequel released in theaters last weekend.

Falco, who plays General Frances Ardmore, appeared on The View and recalled how she thought Avatar 2 came and went until a friend apprised her it hadn't been released yet.

The Sopranos and Nurse Jackie alum admitted:

“I saw the first one when it was out, and that’s going back some time."
"And the second 'Avatar,' the one that’s coming out, I shot I think four years ago."

She continued:

“And then I’ve been busy doing stuff and somebody mentioned Avatar and I thought, ‘Oh, I guess it came out and didn’t do very well.’ "
"Because I hadn’t heard anything. I thought, ‘Oh, well it happens!'”

You can watch Falco share the anecdote here.

Edie Falco On Diving Into 'Avatar: The Way of Water' | The Viewyoutu.be


Falco was in for a surprise.

She continued:

“And then someone recently said, ‘Oh, 'Avatar' is coming out!’ I said, ‘It hasn’t come out yet?!'”







When the Avatar sequels were delayed multiple times, Cameron chalked it up to the challenging writing process he described as "a complex job."

The Academy Award-winning director said of the sequels that continue the exploration of environmentalist themes from the first film:

"It will be a natural extension of all the themes, and the characters, and the spiritual undercurrents."
"Basically, if you loved the first movie, you're gonna love these movies, and if you hated it, you're probably gonna hate these."
"If you loved it at the time, and you said later you hated it, you're probably gonna love these."

Avatar: The Way of Water debuted below the prediction range of $150M-$175M according to Deadline.

It's too early to tell whether or not Falco inadvertently prognosticated Avatar 2's below-average performance at the box office as the critically acclaimed sequel that had fans giving it a thumbs up has yet to draw more moviegoers over the holiday weekend and into the new year.

Box Office Mojo is confident Avatar 2 should have strong legs and could see an increase in ticket sales.

"For one, around 1/5th of the film’s presales are post-opening weekend, compared to a negligible amount on the typical big blockbuster."
"We’re also already seeing concrete signs that this is less front-loaded than the average franchise film, with Saturday’s gross coming in at 16% below Friday’s."
"That’s the best Saturday hold for a $100+ million opener since 'Frozen II' in 2019 which actually grew 19% in its second day of release."

Avatar: The Way of Water also stars Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldaña, Stephen Lang, and Sigourney Weaver–all of whom are returning cast members reprising their roles with the exception of Weaver, who plays Kiri–Jake and Neytiri's adopted 14-year-old daughter.

More from Entertainment/tv-and-movies

Screenshot of Ice-T; Donald Trump
Revolver/YouTube; Christopher Furlong/Getty Images

Video Of Ice-T's NSFW Rant About Trump And His 'Scary' Supporters Resurfaces—And It's Spot On

Rapper and actor Ice-T has gone viral after a 2020 video from Revolver featuring him commenting about President Donald Trump and his "scary" supporters has resurfaced, resonating with people as the U.S. navigates Trump's chaotic second term in office.

The video was published in September 2020, at the height of an election cycle largely characterized by Trump's repetitive and patently false claims about potential election interference in a bid to undermine the candidacy of then-candidate Joe Biden, who would go on to win the presidency.

Keep ReadingShow less
AriZona Iced Tea can; Donald Trump
@DrinkAriZona/X; Andrew Harnik/Getty Images

AriZona Iced Tea May Raise Price After Three Decades Thanks To Trump's Tariffs—And People Are Not Ok

People aren't doing too well after AriZona CEO Don Vultaggio said he is now considering raising the price of the company's 22-ounce tallboy iced teas—which for decades have been priced at exactly $0.99 per can—because of President Donald Trump's tariffs.

The company is looking at changing course for the first time following Trump's announcement in June that he’s doubling tariffs on aluminum and steel imports from 25% to 50%.

Keep ReadingShow less
Chasten Buttigieg; Kim Davis
Bennett Raglin/Getty Images for GLSEN; Ty Wright/Getty Images

Chasten Buttigieg Rips Kim Davis' Hypocrisy After She Asks Supreme Court To Overturn Gay Marriage

Following the news that former Kentucky municipal clerk Kim Davis has petitioned the Supreme Court to reverse Obergefell v. Hodges—the landmark decision that legalized same-sex marriage nationally—educator and activist Chasten Buttigieg, who is married to former Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg, called out her hypocrisy given her own marriage history.

Davis, who spent six days in jail in 2015 for refusing to issue marriage licenses to a gay couple on religious grounds, is appealing a jury’s award of $100,000 in emotional damages and $260,000 in attorneys’ fees.

Keep ReadingShow less
The outside of a best buy store
The image shows the exterior of a best buy store.

Major Companies People Think Won't Exist In 20 Years

No business is immortal.

But some business are especially vulnerable, owing to the passing of time, or the advancements of technology.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gavin Newsom; Donald Trump
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images; Andrew Harnik/Getty Images

Newsom Channels Trump In All-Caps Vow To Redistrict California After Trump 'Missed' Deadline

The latest in the ongoing feud between MAGA Republican President Donald Trump and California Democratic Governor Gavin Newsom involves a bit of imitation—but it definitely wasn't the sincerest form of flattery.

Newsom has been actively locking horns with Trump and his fellow governor, MAGA Republican Greg Abbott of Texas.

Keep ReadingShow less