Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Community Outraged After Police Fatally Shoot Mentally Disabled Black Man As He Held Groceries

Community Outraged After Police Fatally Shoot Mentally Disabled Black Man As He Held Groceries
KARE 11/YouTube

In southern Minnesota, a police officer from the Austin Police Department shot and killed Kokou Christopher Fiafonou, a Black immigrant man with mental disabilities.

Kokou Christopher Fiafonou, age 38, was originally from Togo in West Africa. He was apart of the growing community of immigrants in the Austin, Minnesota area.


He was a husband and father of three.

Family, friends, and community members rallied to demand justice for Fiafonou.

Michelle Gross, president of Communities United Against Police Brutality, described Fiafonou as a religious man who practiced and prayed using natural materials found in a nearby park.

Gross said:

"He would cut little scrapings of wood like pieces of tree bark and little twigs, and he would burn them, and he would pray over the fires, and he believed that his prayers would go up in smoke up to heaven and that was his belief, and he had a little wood cutting knife and it wasn’t a machete."

The police made a claim Fiafonou was in possession of a machete when they had an encounter on December 22, 2021.

Reports said the police were dispatched to Fiafonou's location after someone called claiming he was walking in traffic with a machete. Police claimed they attempted to get verbal compliance from Fiafonou while following him home.

During that time, police attempted to tase him but failed. They also claimed Fiafonou was threatening others which escalated their response.

Fiafonou then retreated into his home. That began a 24 hour long stand off between the police and Fiafonou.

Antranette Smith, Fiafonou's cousin, went live on Facebook and shared the moments when police surrounded her home.

Smith said to those watching:

“They called him in as a threat, and you know these White people think he’s a threat he didn’t even do nothing to nobody … he didn’t do nothing, he’s got a whole mental illness."

Police used pepper spray, tear gas and foam bullets to get Fiafonou to come out of the house.

Gross said the police eventually left the area. Fiafonou finally emerged on Thursday night at 9:30 and walked to a nearby Kwik Trip gas station to get groceries.

Gross explained:

“He walks up to the Kwik Trip, goes into the Kwik Trip, and the cops are watching all of this, and they let him go in the Kwik Trip, he buys his groceries and comes out he’s got two bags of groceries and they gun him down where he’s standing."

Police, who had been monitoring him since 6:00pm, assert Fiafonou exited the Kwik Trip and approached them with a knife.

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension identified officer Zachary Gast as the shooter. Gast has been with the police for two years and now awaits investigation with paid leave. Paid administrative leave is considered regular practice for police under investigation for a shooting.

Fiafonou died of several gun shot wounds according to the medical examiners office. Austin Police Department does not require officers to wear body cameras but footage of the incident was caught on dash camera.

Community members are demanding justice.

youtu.be







The GoFundMe page dedicated to funeral costs and other expenses for Fiafonou's family, said:

"Christopher was a dedicated, loving father, husband, son, brother and friend."
"Christopher worked hard to support his family and wanted his wife and children to have the best of everything and also was the sole provider of the house here in USA and his home country too."

A speaker at the rally noted:

"Most of all, besides our housing, they destroyed our family because they took somebody from us that they love."
"Material things are not important to us right now."
"What's important to us is getting justice."

The protesters gathered in a circle to pray for his family.

After the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension complete their investigation, the findings will be sent to the Mower County Attorney’s Office for review where the decision to press charges will be determined.

More from Trending

Andy Ogles; Bad Bunny
Heather Diehl/Getty Images; Neilson Barnard/Getty Images

MAGA Rep. Dragged After Claiming Bad Bunny's Halftime Show Depicted 'Gay Pornography'

Tennessee Republican Representative Andy Ogles was widely mocked after he claimed Bad Bunny's Super Bowl halftime show was "pure smut" that depicted "gay pornography"—even going so far as to write a letter to the Energy and Commerce Committee demanding "a formal congressional inquiry" into the "indecent broadcast."

The rapper, whose real name is Benito Antonio Martínez Ocasio, delivered a largely Spanish-language show that has been hailed as a "love letter to Puerto Rico" and that drew from his latest album, Debí Tirar Más Fotos, which won the Grammy for Album of the Year just a week ago.

Keep ReadingShow less
Chris Brown (left) and Bad Bunny (right) are pictured separately amid online backlash and praise following Bad Bunny’s record-breaking Super Bowl halftime performance.
Marc Piasecki/WireImage; Neilson Barnard/Getty Images

Chris Brown Slammed After Appearing To Throw Bizarre Shade At Bad Bunny's Halftime Show

Bad Bunny’s record-breaking halftime show pulled in over 135 million viewers—fans, stans, casual watchers, and yes, professional haters who tune in just to be mad. Which brings me to the loudest one in the room: Chris Brown.

Brown took to social media to offer an unsolicited—and frankly bizarre—reaction to the Puerto Rico-inspired performance, posting a cryptic message that immediately rubbed people the wrong way.

Keep ReadingShow less
Todd Richards; Big Air Snowboarder Seungeun Yu
@btoddrichards/Instagram; Ulrik Pedersen/NurPhoto via Getty Images

NBC Broadcaster Speaks Out After He's Caught On Hot Mic Trashing Men's Snowboarding Competition At Olympics

Well, we've officially got our first hot mic oopsie of the 2026 Milano Cortina Olympics!

Broadcaster Todd Richards took to Instagram Sunday to apologize for comments he made during the men's big air snowboarding event that he didn't realize were being broadcast.

Keep ReadingShow less
Amber Glenn; Donald Trump
Andy Cheung/Getty Images; Samuel Corum/Getty Images

Olympic Figure Skater Reveals 'Scary Amount' Of Threats She Got After Her Criticism Of Trump

Amber Glenn, the first openly queer woman to represent the U.S. in figure skating, spoke out in an Instagram post about the torrent of threats she's received after criticizing President Donald Trump's treatment of the LGBTQ+ community.

Glenn had voiced criticism of the Trump administration earlier in the week during a pre-Olympics press conference, describing the period as especially difficult for herself and others in the LGBTQ+ community. Her comments were among several political statements made by U.S. athletes in the run-up to the Winter Games in Milan, Italy.

Keep ReadingShow less
Rick Scott
Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

MAGA Senator Slammed After Saying U.S. Olympians Critical Of Trump Should Be 'Stripped Of Their Olympic Uniform'

Florida Republican Senator Rick Scott was slammed after sharing a video criticizing U.S. Olympians who are conflicted about representing the United States amid President Donald Trump's controversial policies.

Scott spoke out after multiple Olympians made headlines for criticizing the Trump administration amid its nationwide immigration crackdown.

Keep ReadingShow less