Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

We Now Know Why Donald Trump Really Canceled His Summit With Kim Jong Un and It's Classic Trump

We Now Know Why Donald Trump Really Canceled His Summit With Kim Jong Un and It's Classic Trump
WASHINGTON, DC - JANUARY 09: U.S. President Donald Trump (R) presides over a meeting about immigration with Republican and Democrat members of Congress in the Cabinet Room at the White House January 9, 2018 in Washington, DC. In addition to seeking bipartisan solutions to immigration reform, Trump advocated for the reintroduction of earmarks as a way to break the legislative stalemate in Congress. (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

On Thursday, President Donald Trump's letter to North Korea Premiere Kim Jong Un abruptly canceling the much-anticipated summit between the two leaders came as a surprise to international allies and the American public. But the president, fearing that the North Koreans might beat him to the punch, wanted to be the one to cancel first, multiple officials told NBC News.


Trump's decision blindsided his closest insiders. "There was no hint of this yesterday," one official familiar with the summit preparations said. The stakes were "high risk, high reward."

White House officials said talk of abandoning the summit began late Wednesday and included the president, Vice President Mike Pence, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, chief of staff John Kelly and National Security Adviser John Bolton.

The decision was based, in part, on inflammatory rhetoric being lobbed back and forth between North Korea and the United States. On Wednesday, Kim warned of "nuclear showdown" with the United States.

More than 20 foreign journalists, including some Americans, remain in North Korea.

"Whether the US will meet us at a meeting room or encounter us at nuclear-to-nuclear showdown is entirely dependent upon the decision and behavior of the United States," said Choe Son Hui, a vice-minister in the North Korean Foreign Ministry. This was in response to comments made by Pence on Monday when he told Fox News that Choe appeared "unbridled and impudent."
Adding to this, Pence also alluded to what happened to Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2011 after U.S. forces deposed him. He was subsequently tortured and dragged through the streets before being killed. "There was some talk about the Libya model," Pence told Fox News' Martha MacCallum. "As the President made clear, this will only end like the Libya model ended if Kim Jong Un doesn't make a deal."
Choe responded by calling Pence a "political dummy" for pushing "most explicit regime change threat yet," as characterized by Adam Mount, the director of the Defense Posture Project at the Federation of American Scientists.

But White House officials say that a round of early morning phone calls on Thursday ultimately led to Trump's decision to scrap the meeting with Kim. Trump penned a letter to the North Korean leader outlining his decision while leaving the door open to possible future negotiations.

According to NBC News, "the decision occurred so abruptly that the administration was unable to give congressional leaders and key allies advance notice."

The letter went out while more than two dozen foreign journalists, including several U.S. citizens, were inside North Korea where they had gone to witness a promised dismantling of a nuclear test site.

Warring factions within the Trump administration have been making negotiations difficult. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has traveled to North Korea to meet with Kim in an effort to push for a diplomatic solution to the North Korean nuclear issue. Trump's National Security Adviser John Bolton, however, has fanned the flames of using military force. On April 29, Bolton first proposed the "Libya model" that was cited by Pence earlier this week.

Congressman Joaquin Castro (D-TX) said that Trump's team simply wasn't prepared for the meeting.

On Friday morning, Trump made another surprise announcement to reporters when he said that the June 12th meeting might be back on.

“We’ll see what happens,” the president said. “It could even be the 12th. We’re talking to them now. They very much want to do it. We’d like to do it. We’ll see what happens.”

More from People

Machine Gun Kelly
Mireya Acierto/WireImage/Getty Images

Machine Gun Kelly Reveals He Got Permanent Vampire Fangs—And Fans Are Kinda Into It

Machine Gun Kelly just debuted brand new permanent vampire fangs on social media, and fans approve.

Never one to stray from unique physical alterations, the rapper took to Instagram to show of his pointy whites, captioning a video at the dentist's office:

Keep ReadingShow less
TikTok screenshots of Hank Azaria and Buckingham Palace guard
@thehankazaria/TikTok

Hank Azaria Hilariously Tries To Get Buckingham Palace Guard To Crack With Classic 'Simpsons' Voices

Hank Azaria tried to get a King's Guard to crack during a recent visit to London... but to no avail.

The actor shared his hilarious attempt on TikTok, captioning the video:

Keep ReadingShow less
Antony Starr as Homelander on "The Boys"; Donald Trump survives assassination attempt during rally
Prime Video; Rebecca Droke/AFP via Getty Images

'The Boys' Issues Content Disclaimer And Alters Season Finale Title After Trump Shooting

The Amazon Prime series The Boys changed the title of its Season 4 finale and issued a content disclaimer explaining that "plotline similarities" to the recent assassination attempt on former President Donald Trump "are coincidental."

The final episode, titled "Assassination Run," features an attempt on President-elect Robert Singer's (Jim Beaver) life by a supe disguised as Starlight (Erin Moriarty). After the assassination attempt on Trump at a Pennsylvania rally on July 13, viewers of the R-rated superhero satire noted the unsettling similarities.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Nikki Haley; Joe Biden
C-SPAN; Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

Nikki Haley's Blunt 'Election' Prediction Comes Back To Haunt Trump After Biden Drops Out

Earlier this year, South Carolina Republican Governor Nikki Haley made a blunt prediction about which political party would win this year's election, a statement that has garnered more attention since President Joe Biden dropped out of the 2024 race and endorsed Vice President Kamala Harris.

At 81, Biden faced increasing concerns within his party about his age and capacity to serve another term, along with fears of a potential loss to former President Donald Trump—who is 78—in November. In his announcement, Biden backed Harris as the Democratic nominee to replace him, calling it "the best decision I’ve made."

Keep ReadingShow less