Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Republican Congressman Was Just Denied Entry Into a Migrant Child Detention Facility and Now He’s Putting Trump’s Homeland Security on Blast

Republican Congressman Was Just Denied Entry Into a Migrant Child Detention Facility and Now He’s Putting Trump’s Homeland Security on Blast
UNITED STATES - JUNE 6: Rep. Carlos Curbelo, R-Fla., arrives for the House Republican Conference meeting in the Capitol on Wednesday, June 6, 2018. (Photo By Bill Clark/CQ Roll Call)

The outrage has crossed the aisle.

Make us preferred on Google

Congressman Carlos Curbelo (R-FL) was denied entry on Friday into a detention facility that holds unaccompanied minors and migrant children who were separated from their parents at the U.S.-Mexican border.

Curbelo then took to Twitter to blast the Department of Homeland Security, which the Republican said had initially agreed to grant him access. Curbelo wrote the "visit had been confirmed with local operators for over a week" but "last night was told by staff in Washington I would be refused entry."


The Congressman added that he was "disappointed" at HHS for citing "protocol" to deny access to other lawmakers and that he was "outraged today given my office followed “protocol.”

Curbelo plans on supporting legislation drafted by fellow Florida Representative Debbie Wasserman Schultz, a Democrat, requiring "Members of Congress be granted access to these facilities upon our return to Washington."

“If your operation is so sensitive and delicate that an elected leader walking through your facility and asking a few questions disrupts your work, then you have a bigger problem,” he said.

Schultz introduced the Congressional Access to Children's Detention Facilities Act in June, which "would allow Members of Congress to visit the facilities during reasonable hours, and also ensure press access, by allowing media to accompany them on these essential inspections."

Followers on Twitter suggested Curbelo should use the power of his office and of Congress to provide more oversight, which is of course a primary role of the House of Representatives.

Curbelo's office had made arrangements to tour the Homestead Temporary Shelter for Unaccompanied Children, which is situated in his congressional district.

Nearly 1,000 children are housed there, The Daily Beast reported on Friday, around 100 of whom were victims of President Donald Trump's "zero tolerance" policy that separated children from their parents at the southern border.

DHS reportedly contacted Curbelo's office late Thursday night, rescinding his clearance to tour the facility. DHS allegedly claimed they "would not be able to send a staffer down to Homestead to give him a tour," despite there being employees at the shelter and located throughout southern Florida.

Curbelo is the latest lawmaker to be denied access to Homestead. Schultz and Senator Bill Nelson (D-FL) were barred from entering the detention center last month.

“Our goal is not to make a scene. It’s to see with my own eyes what’s happening there. And if they’re confident in the work that they’re doing, they should welcome us in,” Curbelo said in an interview with the Daily Beast, shortly after the call from DHS. “It was highly disappointing and I think they’re claiming that they have a lot of work and getting a lot of requests. I don’t feel sorry for them. That’s what we pay them to do.”

Curbelo also expressed frustration at the lack of access.

“It’s unnecessary. We fund these facilities. We fund the salaries of everyone who works at these facilities,” he said. “And for them to make it so difficult for members of Congress to conduct oversight—no one’s here to disrupt their operation.”

More from People

Dylan Gadeke; Christina Toni Kulusich and Disney performer
@dylangadeke/TikTok; @babytoni99/TikTok

Former Disneyland Peter Pan Defends Viral 'Peter Pan Girl' After She's Hit With Backlash For 'Stalking' Performers

So-called Disney Adults are a breed apart, for sure. But they also get more flak online than probably any other subculture out there.

And at the moment, nobody is bearing the brunt of that more than Christina Toni Kulusich, a Disney superfan and TikToker, who's become online-famous for her downright obsession with Peter Pan.

Keep ReadingShow less
screenshot from "Jesse Watters Primetime"
Fox News

Jesse Watters Dragged After Sounding The Alarm Over Video Of Mamdani Speaking Mandarin

New York City Democratic Socialist Mayor Zohran Mamdani shared a message in English, Mandarin (Chinese), Spanish, and Bengali (Bangla) about his plan—in partnership with the nonprofit Theatre Development Fund—to give away over 2,000 free Broadway tickets to one of seven participating shows.

Open to high school students in his city, sign-up began on August 13 for the lottery that will give kids an opportunity to experience the arts. The entry period ended on August 17 and winners will be chosen on September 1.

Keep ReadingShow less
Nancy Mace
Heather Diehl/Getty Images

Nancy Mace Called Out For Her Blatant Hypocrisy After Claiming Critics Of Her Tattoos Are 'Out Of Control'

South Carolina Republican Representative Nancy Mace was called out for her own hypocrisy after she complained that conservative critics of her tattoos are "out of control."

Mace recently showed off her heavily tattooed arms for the first time in a series of new videos. She revealed in a February interview with Politico that she had gotten nine tattoos, but had previously kept them hidden, typically wearing long sleeves whenever she appeared in photographs.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Scott Jennings; Jon Ossoff
CNN; Paras Griffin/Getty Images

Scott Jennings Tried To Call Out Jon Ossoff For His 'Sexist Joke' About Trump's Young Aide—And It Didn't Go Well For Him

Conservative CNN commentator Scott Jennings was reminded of President Donald Trump's own misogyny after attacking Georgia Democratic Senator Jon Ossoff over his remarks about Trump's relationship with his aide Natalie Harp.

Last month, Trump reportedly took extraordinary security precautions during a trip to Turkey, secretly switching from Air Force One to a military aircraft after an alleged threat. Although he was publicly seen boarding the presidential jet, he was later transported to the military plane concealed inside a catering truck.

Keep ReadingShow less
Alyson Stoner (left) tearfully remembers their late Kingdom Hearts co-star Hayden Panettiere (right).
@alysonstoner/Instagram; Jamie McCarthy/WireImage

'Kingdom Hearts' Star Breaks Down In Tears Over Co-Star Hayden Panettiere's Death In Heart-Wrenching Video

Hayden Panettiere’s death is weighing heavily on Alyson Stoner, who tearfully remembered the actor.

Panettiere died at age 36 after being found unresponsive on August 16 in Greenville, South Carolina. Authorities responded to a 911 call involving an apparent “overdose” and “cardiac arrest,” though police found no signs of foul play. Her death remains under investigation.

Keep ReadingShow less