Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

John McCain Just Blamed Donald Trump for Syria's Chemical Weapons Attack Against Its Own People

John McCain Just Blamed Donald Trump for Syria's Chemical Weapons Attack Against Its Own People
WASHINGTON, DC - Senator John McCain speaks to journalists after Senate party caucus luncheons on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC Tuesday October 31, 2017. (Photo by Melina Mara/The Washington Post via Getty Images)

Senator John McCain (R-AZ) blamed Saturday's chemical attack in Syria on President Donald Trump's desire to withdraw U.S. troops from the civil war-torn country. “I want to get out," Trump said in a press conference last Tuesday. "I want to bring our troops back home."


“President Trump last week signaled to the world that the United States would prematurely withdraw from Syria," McCain wrote in a statement. "Bashar Assad and his Russian and Iranian backers have heard him, and emboldened by American inaction, Assad has reportedly launched another chemical attack against innocent men, women, and children."

To be sure, President Trump inherited bad options after years of inaction by his predecessor in Syria. History will render a bitter judgment on America for that failure. But no one should believe we are out of options. We can and should change course – starting with a comprehensive strategy that lays out clear objectives for our mission there. It's not too late to stop Assad's impunity and begin to rewrite this terrible chapter in our history.

At least 42 people suffocated to death when Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad allegedly released a chemical nerve agent in rebel-held Douma, Syria, which is an eastern suburb of Damascus, the country's capital.

“The Assad regime and its backers must be held accountable, and any further attacks prevented immediately,” Heather Nauert, a State Department spokeswoman, said in a statement. “The United States calls on Russia to end this unmitigated support immediately and work with the international community to prevent further, barbaric chemical weapons attacks."

Early Sunday morning, Trump blasted Russia and Iran for backing Al-Assad, tweeting that their support will come with a "big price."

Officials in Moscow and Tehran claimed the idea that Assad had used chemical weapons were "bogus."

“The spread of bogus stories about the use of chlorine and other poisonous substances by government forces continues,” the Russian Foreign Ministry said in a statement. “The aim of such deceitful speculation, lacking any kind of grounding, is to shield terrorists,” it added, “and to attempt to justify possible external uses of force.”

The president then blamed former President Barack Obama for the chemical attack in Syria. "Animal Assad would have been history," he wrote, "if President Obama had crossed his stated Red Line In The Sand."

Syria, which has been decimated by civil war for more than seven years, has lost half its population of 24 million due to the displacement of its people. As many as half a million Syrians have been killed in the ongoing internal conflict. Syrian refugees have inundated central Europe, contributing to a surge of nationalism and placing a strain on available resources.

More from People/donald-trump

Screenshots from @realprogressive11's TikTok video
@realprogressive11/TikTok

Rural Michigan Woman Speaks Out About 'Dystopian' Grocery Costs In Eye-Opening Video

TikToker @realprogressive11, a rural Michigan resident, is tired of dancing around the subject and is ready to call it like it is: according to her, grocery shopping has become a "dystopian" experience.

And based on other TikTokers' experiences, this isn't specific to Michigan.

Keep ReadingShow less
Andrew Rannells Just Dished On How Dating Anderson Cooper At 25 Directly Inspired 'Girls' Storyline—And Our Jaws Are On The Floor
Daily Beast/Obsessed; Gary Gershoff/Getty Images

Andrew Rannells Just Dished On How Dating Anderson Cooper At 25 Directly Inspired 'Girls' Storyline—And Our Jaws Are On The Floor

After years of speculation, the tea has finally been spilled about who inspired Elijah Krantz and Dill Harcourt's relationship.

In case you missed it, the hit TV show Girls aired for six seasons from 2012 to 2017, and followed the lives of four young women making their way through early romance and career moves in New York City.

Keep ReadingShow less
Tom Holland and Zendaya
Pablo Cuadra/WireImage/Getty Images

Tom Holland Just Confirmed The Months-Long Rumors That He And Zendaya Got Married—And His Comments Have Fans Swooning

American actor and singer Zendaya and British actor and dancer Tom Holland first met in 2016 during the screen test and casting process for their roles in the 2017 Marvel made/Sony approved movie Spider-Man: Homecoming. The pair, both born in 1996, were successful child actors transitioning into adults, but still playing teens on camera.

They became fast friends, but didn't begin dating until sometime later, even if fans thought the attraction happened much sooner. They finally confirmed their relationship in 2021.

Keep ReadingShow less
Billy Porter; Elisabeth Hasselbeck
CBS Mornings

Elisabeth Hasselbeck Is Getting Some Major Side-Eye After Making Bizarre Dig At Billy Porter During Interview

Conservative TV host Elisabeth Hasselbeck first gained public notice in 2001 as a contestant on the second season of the CBS reality show Survivor, then she furthered her fame by marrying NFL player Tim Hasselbeck the following year.

After that, she became the conservative voice on The View for a decade (2003-2013), frequently clashing with her co-hosts and garnering animosity from viewers. Portraying herself as a trad-wife while in reality being a working mother, her next stint was on Fox News' Fox & Friends from 2013 to 2015 before being replaced by Sean Hannity paramour Ainsley Earhardt.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots of JD Vance and Whoopi Goldberg
Fox News; The View

JD Vance Ripped After Running To Fox News To Whine About Whoopi Goldberg Supposedly Calling Him 'Racist' On 'The View'

Vice President JD Vance was criticized after he complained on Fox News that The View moderator Whoopi Goldberg had called him a "racist" during his appearance on the program.

While on The View, Vance sidestepped a question from Goldberg about concerns that the Trump administration was marginalizing Black history and communities.

Keep ReadingShow less