Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

After Getting Rebuffed by Congress, We Now Know How Donald Trump Hopes to Fund His Border Wall

After Getting Rebuffed by Congress, We Now Know How Donald Trump Hopes to Fund His Border Wall
President Donald Trump speaks before signing trade sanctions against China on March 22, 2018. (MANDEL NGAN/AFP/Getty Images)

Good luck with that.

Make us preferred on Google

President Donald Trump feels "spurned" by the $1.3 trillion spending bill he signed last week which appropriated only $1.6 billion for his proposed border wall, far below the $25 billion he'd sought, and is privately pushing the U.S. military to fund construction for the project he made a cornerstone of his often incendiary campaign.

Three people familiar with the details of a meeting which took place in the White House last week told Washington Post reporters on condition of anonymity that Trump floated the idea to several advisers last week, even telling House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI) that the military should pay for the wall. Ryan gave a rather muted reaction, these sources said, and senior Capitol Hill officials said it was "unlikely" the president's suggestion would gain traction.


In another interaction with his senior aides, two White House sources said, the president noted that the spending bill appropriates so much money to the Department of Defense that the Pentagon––which received $700 billion––could surely afford the border wall.

The White House did not respond to requests for comment, and Sarah Huckabee Sanders, the White House Press Secretary, only offered that she "can't get into specifics."

The president did, however, receive a rebuke from Senate Minority Leader Charles "Chuck" Schumer (D-NY), who called the president's latest proposal a "blatant misuse of military funds":

First Mexico was supposed to pay for it, then U.S. taxpayers, and now our men and women in uniform? This would be a blatant misuse of military funds and tied up in court for years. Secretary Mattis ought not bother and instead use the money to help our troops, rather than advance the president’s political fantasies.

White House and Defense Department officials say it's "unlikely" the military would fund the wall, and while the Pentagon does have enough money to fund the wall's construction, but reappropriating the money would require the president to beseech Congress for votes which he does not appear to have.

A senior Pentagon official confirmed that reappropriating funds from the current 2018 budget for the wall would require an act of Congress. The official added that if Trump wants to reappropriate the money for the 2019 defense budget in he would have to submit a budget amendment that would still require 60 votes in the Senate.

Several advisers said that Trump has grown frustrated while watching television news coverage of the spending bill, and is determined on finding a way to fund the wall, fearing that a failure to deliver on the promise would deal a heavy blow to his core base of supporters. The advisers added that Trump has only grown more passionate about the idea since visiting California earlier this month to view prototypes of the wall.

That Trump would occupy himself with trying to find a way to subvert a spending bill he last week called "historic" but disappointing, is unsurprising. He signed the bill into law last week––much to the chagrin of many conservative supporters––avoiding a government shutdown that loomed large over Washington once the president took to Twitter to vent his frustrations with the bipartisan legislation.

In signing the legislation, the president backed down from his earlier threat to veto the bill after failing to reach a deal with with Democrats to preserve Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), Obama-era legislation which protects “DREAMers”––undocumented immigrants who were brought to the U.S. by their parents as children––from deportation.

“There are a lot of things I’m unhappy about in this bill. There are a lot of things that we shouldn’t have had in this bill, but we were in a sense forced if we want to build our military,” Trump said last week. “I said to Congress, I will never sign another bill like this again.”

The president appears to be hedging his bets on having the military pay for the wall, two advisers told Washington Post reporters, noting that when Trump tweeted "Build WALL through M!" earlier this week, the "M" was intended to stand for "military."

Trump has tried––and failed––to deliver on his promise that Mexico would pay for the wall. In January 2017, shortly after Trump's inauguration, Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto opted to cancel meetings with Trump after Trump ordered for construction on the wall to begin and suggested that some of the $25 billion in remittances migrants return home would be retained to pay for the barrier. Peña Nieto made the decision after an outraged Mexican public urged him to cancel, calling Trump a “bully.”

More from People/donald-trump

Screenshot of Joey Jones
Fox News

Fox News Host Slammed After Criticizing 'Weak' Sailors Complaining About Deteriorating Conditions Aboard USS Lincoln

Fox News host Joey Jones was criticized for his complaints about the "weak" U.S. Navy sailors who have complained about the conditions aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln, which has been deployed in the Middle East since November of 2025.

Jones is a Marine veteran who spent eight years in the military and served in both Iraq and Afghanistan. He was seriously wounded by an IED in Afghanistan in 2010, sustaining severe injuries to his arms and wrists and losing both legs above the knee.

Keep ReadingShow less
screenshot of AI Elon Musk as Austin Powers
@elonmusk/X

Elon Musk Brutally Dragged After Sharing Bizarre AI Slop Video Of Himself As Austin Powers

On Wednesday, AI content creator DFF posted another of their parody videos on X mocking a major political figure.

The politics of DFF aren't specified, as they appear to mock just about everyone, but the Trump administration and their allies seem to be frequent targets. The account name DFF stands for "Dumb F*ck Finder" and their bio reads "Fighting DumbF*ckery 24/7 via AI-powered music vids & memes. Don’t Be a DumbFxck."

Keep ReadingShow less
Rosario Dawson (left) revealed her cameo was cut from Tom Holland’s (right) Spider-Man: Brand New Day.
Ernesto Ruscio/Getty Images; Sony/Marvel Studios

Rosario Dawson Reveals Her Cameo In 'Spider-Man: Brand New Day' Was Cut—And Her Mom's Reaction Has Fans Cackling

Fans expected Spider-Man: Brand New Day to deliver its share of surprise cameos, but one familiar Marvel face apparently got caught in the editing web.

In resurfaced footage from July’s GalaxyCon in Raleigh, North Carolina, 47-year-old Sin City and Ahsoka star Rosario Dawson told fellow actor Vincent D’Onofrio that she had slipped back into her Daredevil scrubs as Claire Temple for the blockbuster.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jamie Lee Curtis
Errich Petersen/SXSW Conference & Festivals/Getty Images

Jamie Lee Curtis Clears The Air After Saying She Had An 'Awful' Experience Filming 'New Girl'

Every actor has their preferences when it comes to stage production, and Jamie Lee Curtis is no exception, especially when it comes to comedy.

Curtis was recently touring to promote and answer questions about her latest show, Newlyweds on NBC, which she co-created with Black-ish and Ugly Betty's Gail Lerner. The Freakier Friday actress explained that she was excited to create a story that centered around older characters and finding love later in life, following a couple portrayed by Tea Leoni and Tim Daly.

Keep ReadingShow less
Ashley Callingbull
@corrinaaligned/Instagram

Former Miss Universe Canada Praised After Calling Out Contestants' Costumes For Cultural Appropriation On Live TV

Ashley Callingbull, Canada's 2024 Miss Universe contestant, made history that year when she became the first First Nations competitor to win the pageant.

Now, she's using that platform to call out other contestants for cultural appropriation in their pageant appearances.

Keep ReadingShow less