Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Ex-Trump Advisor Calls BS on Trump's Claim That He Doesn't Know What a 'Burner Phone' Is

Ex-Trump Advisor Calls BS on Trump's Claim That He Doesn't Know What a 'Burner Phone' Is
STR/NurPhoto via Getty Images // Drew Angerer/Getty Images
Make us preferred on Google

More than a year after a mob of pro-Trump extremists stormed the United States Capitol, the House Select Committee investigating the deadly failed insurrection's origins has come forward with even more alarming evidence regarding former President Donald Trump's actions that day.

After a protracted legal battle Trump fought to keep them secret, thousands of pages of Trump-era White House records were released to the committee earlier this year. Among these were White House logs that showed a seven hour gap in call records on January 6, the day of the Capitol attack.


The suspicious absence of records now has the committee investigating whether Trump used off-the-record channels, such as burner phones, to communicate unburdened by public accountability, according to recent reports from the Washington Post and CBS News.

Responding to the report, Trump said in a statement:

"I have no idea what a burner phone is, to the best of my knowledge I have never even heard the term."

But according to Trump's former National Security Advisor, John Bolton, the former President—who told more than 30 thousand lies over the course of his four years in the White House—is lying yet again.

Robert Costa, Chief Election & Campaign Correspondent for CBS News, tweeted that Bolton recounted conversations he had with Trump in which the pair discussed burner phones and the usage of such phones to evade oversight.


Bolton served as Trump's National Security Advisor from 2018 to 2019, but was ousted after several disagreements with the former President. Bolton would become the subject of widespread derision over the course of the Ukraine scandal that led to Trump's first impeachment in 2019, refusing to testify voluntarily and threatening to stall the impeachment process by battling a congressional subpoena in the courts. All the while, Bolton was working on a memoir about his time in the Trump White House.

Bolton's dispute of Trump's supposed ignorance on burner phones isn't likely to redeem him to many of Trump's critics, but he certainly generated discussion online.




Some were miffed that Bolton kept the burners on the back burner til now.



This isn't the first time the issue of burner phones has emerged in the wake of the Capitol riot, or even the Trump presidency. The words "burner phone" appear in Trump's lawsuit against his estranged niece, Mary Trump, multiple times. Rolling Stone reported last November that organizers of the pro-Trump rally preceding the Capitol riot were communicating directly with Trump's son, Eric Trump, through prepaid burner phones. A 2018 Politico report on Trump's lax security measures said that his call-capable phones were "essentially used as burner phones."

More from People/donald-trump

Dylan Gadeke; Christina Toni Kulusich and Disney performer
@dylangadeke/TikTok; @babytoni99/TikTok

Former Disneyland Peter Pan Defends Viral 'Peter Pan Girl' After She's Hit With Backlash For 'Stalking' Performers

So-called Disney Adults are a breed apart, for sure. But they also get more flak online than probably any other subculture out there.

And at the moment, nobody is bearing the brunt of that more than Christina Toni Kulusich, a Disney superfan and TikToker, who's become online-famous for her downright obsession with Peter Pan.

Keep ReadingShow less
screenshot from "Jesse Watters Primetime"
Fox News

Jesse Watters Dragged After Sounding The Alarm Over Video Of Mamdani Speaking Mandarin

New York City Democratic Socialist Mayor Zohran Mamdani shared a message in English, Mandarin (Chinese), Spanish, and Bengali (Bangla) about his plan—in partnership with the nonprofit Theatre Development Fund—to give away over 2,000 free Broadway tickets to one of seven participating shows.

Open to high school students in his city, sign-up began on August 13 for the lottery that will give kids an opportunity to experience the arts. The entry period ended on August 17 and winners will be chosen on September 1.

Keep ReadingShow less
Nancy Mace
Heather Diehl/Getty Images

Nancy Mace Called Out For Her Blatant Hypocrisy After Claiming Critics Of Her Tattoos Are 'Out Of Control'

South Carolina Republican Representative Nancy Mace was called out for her own hypocrisy after she complained that conservative critics of her tattoos are "out of control."

Mace recently showed off her heavily tattooed arms for the first time in a series of new videos. She revealed in a February interview with Politico that she had gotten nine tattoos, but had previously kept them hidden, typically wearing long sleeves whenever she appeared in photographs.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Scott Jennings; Jon Ossoff
CNN; Paras Griffin/Getty Images

Scott Jennings Tried To Call Out Jon Ossoff For His 'Sexist Joke' About Trump's Young Aide—And It Didn't Go Well For Him

Conservative CNN commentator Scott Jennings was reminded of President Donald Trump's own misogyny after attacking Georgia Democratic Senator Jon Ossoff over his remarks about Trump's relationship with his aide Natalie Harp.

Last month, Trump reportedly took extraordinary security precautions during a trip to Turkey, secretly switching from Air Force One to a military aircraft after an alleged threat. Although he was publicly seen boarding the presidential jet, he was later transported to the military plane concealed inside a catering truck.

Keep ReadingShow less
Alyson Stoner (left) tearfully remembers their late Kingdom Hearts co-star Hayden Panettiere (right).
@alysonstoner/Instagram; Jamie McCarthy/WireImage

'Kingdom Hearts' Star Breaks Down In Tears Over Co-Star Hayden Panettiere's Death In Heart-Wrenching Video

Hayden Panettiere’s death is weighing heavily on Alyson Stoner, who tearfully remembered the actor.

Panettiere died at age 36 after being found unresponsive on August 16 in Greenville, South Carolina. Authorities responded to a 911 call involving an apparent “overdose” and “cardiac arrest,” though police found no signs of foul play. Her death remains under investigation.

Keep ReadingShow less