Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Chaos Erupts As Alarmed Texas Parents Clash With Police After False School Shooting Report

Chaos Erupts As Alarmed Texas Parents Clash With Police After False School Shooting Report
KENS 5: Your San Antonio News Source

San Antonio police clashed Tuesday, September 20, with worried parents over a reported school shooting that never happened.

Thomas Jefferson High School in San Antonio was in lockdown around 1pm Tuesday after police received a phone call about a possible active shooter.


But as officers entered the school and cleared classrooms, they found no evidence of the reported, violent threat.

Chief Johnny Reyes of the San Antonio Independent School District police stated:

“Our department and San Antonio Police Department established there was no shooting, but then we had to do a methodical search room by room with our strike teams,
“We went to the place where they said the shooting had occurred and we were able to quickly establish that no shooting had happened.”

However, chaos unfolded as a result of parents descending upon the school en masse in response to the initial distressing phone calls they received from their kids during the presumed moment of crisis.

Parents gathered outside demanding answers while police completed a sweep of the campus.

One parent at the scene said they thought of "Uvalde"–the 2022 mass shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas in which 19 children and two teachers were murdered by an 18-year-old gunman.

Another parent who was worried they may never see their children again said:

“I’m just worried about the children, my daughter, my two daughters Katlyn and Sarah Estrada."
"I love you... your dad loves you."
"Just don’t be in fear, you’re going to come out of their fine.”

The scene turned to pandaemonium when a man broke through a window using a nearly one-foot-long knife, according to News 4.


You can watch a news report, here.

youtu.be

In spite of the chaos, San Antonio district Superintendent Jaime Aquino called police response effective.

“Our kids were safe. We followed our protocol and our process."
"And we practiced for this, so I am proud that we were able to do that."
"I know we are living in very difficult times."
"But you need to trust us.”

However, he did admit the district needed to find better ways to communicate with alarmed parents in real-time.

“I’m assuming that if we had not had Uvalde, perhaps we would not have the reaction of the parents."
"So we just have to understand that."

More from Trending

Hillary Clinton; Liam Ramos; Tammy Duckworth
Alex Wong/Getty Images; Columbia Heights Public Schools; Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

Dems Blast ICE After 5-Year-Old Minnesota Boy Is Detained On His Way Home From Preschool

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Illinois Democratic Senator Tammy Duckworth were among the Democrats who condemned ICE after agents detained 5-year-old Liam Ramos and his father on their way home from preschool in the Minneapolis area.

Ramos is the fourth student from the Columbia Heights School District to be swept up in the Trump administration's nationwide immigration crackdown. District officials and a family attorney confirmed the boy and his father are in custody at an ICE facility in Texas.

Keep ReadingShow less
Karoline Leavitt; Donald Trump
Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images; Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

Karoline Leavitt Gives Bonkers Excuse After Trump Is Spotted With Massive Bruise On His Left Hand

White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt was called out after she gave a dubious excuse for what happened to President Donald Trump after he was spotted at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, on Thursday with a large bruise on his left hand.

Last year, rumors swirled that Trump was on his deathbed after he wasn't seen for several days and the White House cancelled his public appearances, a development that fueled speculation in large part because of Trump's recent health problems, which include a diagnosis of chronic venous insufficiency and sightings of a harsh bruise on his right hand.

Keep ReadingShow less
A group of men sitting on lawn furniture
men sitting on chairs
Photo by Austin Distel on Unsplash

Men Reveal The Mistakes They See Younger Guys Repeatedly Making

There are countless male stereotypes.

Stereotypes which, sadly, still remain all too true among far too many oblivious men.

Keep ReadingShow less
Troye Sivan (left) and a screenshot from the now-deleted video posted by an aesthetic doctor critiquing the singer’s appearance (right).
Taylor Hill/FilmMagic; @drrzayn/Instagram

Singer And Actor Troye Sivan Speaks Out After Plastic Surgeon Says He Should 'Re-Twinkify' Himself

Out of all the unsolicited advice that circulates online, being publicly critiqued for aging may be one of the most jarring, especially when it comes from a stranger with a platform and a medical title.

That was the experience Australian singer, songwriter, and actor Troye Sivan recently unpacked after a plastic surgeon posted a video dissecting his appearance without permission.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots from @its.avelyn's TikTok video
@its.avelyn/TikTok

Woman's Hack For How To Find The Sweetest Oranges At The Grocery Store Is Both Hilarious And Helpful

Let's be honest, in this economy, groceries are atrociously expensive, and we could use every shopping and saving hack we can find.

TikToker @its.avelyn delivered when she shared a fellow TikToker's hack for finding the sweetest navel oranges at the grocery store, allowing us to buy the fruit we want and get our money's worth in the process.

Keep ReadingShow less