Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Ayo Edebiri Hit With 'Death Threats' After Musk Shared Fake Report About 'Pirates' Reboot

Ayo Edebiri; Elon Musk
Unique Nicole/WireImage; Andrew Harnik/Getty Images

The Emmy winner took to her Instagram Stories to call out "idiot" Elon Musk for sharing a fake report that claimed she's being considered to replace Johnny Depp in an upcoming reboot of Pirates of the Caribbean.

Actor Ayo Edebiri called out Tesla CEO and unelected DOGE leader Elon Musk after his fallacious public comments about her.

In an Instagram Story, the Emmy winner said she’s been fielding “insane death threats” after Musk posted an outright lie about her appearing in the next chapter of the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise.

Because Musk often seems to be no better than anyone else at judging what is and is not real on his own social media platform, Musk reposted a fake tweet saying that Edebiri will not only be starring, but replacing Johnny Depp in the film.

Given that Musk is basically now the de facto leader of America’s far-right white nationalist cabal, you can imagine how his legion of fanboys reacted to this news.


@ayoedebiri/Instagram

In her Story, Edebiri shared a screenshot of Musk’s tweet about the completely fake project, along with a caption reading:

"Just remembering when I got some of the most insane death threats and racial slurs of my life (idk if it’s the #1 moment, but for sure top 3) for a fake reboot of a movie I had never even heard of because of this man.”
“LMAO. So not only is he a double Sieg Heil-ing fascist, he’s an idiot. But anyway.”

Though yet another chapter in the Pirates franchise does appear to be on the way, it does not star Ayo Edebiri.

Producer Jerry Bruckheimer confirmed in 2024 that the film was currently being written, but likely will not star Depp due to his legal troubles.

He told Entertainment Weekly:

“If it was up to me, he would be in it. I love him. He’s a good friend. He’s an amazing artist and he’s a unique look.”

On social media, many people applauded Edebiri for dragging Musk.




She may not be replacing Depp, but Edebiri does have a big movie coming out. The Bear star joins Juliette Lewis and John Malkovich in the new A24 horror movie Opus, which drops March 14, much to Musk's chagrin, surely.

More from Entertainment/celebrities

Andy Ogles; Bad Bunny
Heather Diehl/Getty Images; Neilson Barnard/Getty Images

MAGA Rep. Dragged After Claiming Bad Bunny's Halftime Show Depicted 'Gay Pornography'

Tennessee Republican Representative Andy Ogles was widely mocked after he claimed Bad Bunny's Super Bowl halftime show was "pure smut" that depicted "gay pornography"—even going so far as to write a letter to the Energy and Commerce Committee demanding "a formal congressional inquiry" into the "indecent broadcast."

The rapper, whose real name is Benito Antonio Martínez Ocasio, delivered a largely Spanish-language show that has been hailed as a "love letter to Puerto Rico" and that drew from his latest album, Debí Tirar Más Fotos, which won the Grammy for Album of the Year just a week ago.

Keep ReadingShow less
Chris Brown (left) and Bad Bunny (right) are pictured separately amid online backlash and praise following Bad Bunny’s record-breaking Super Bowl halftime performance.
Marc Piasecki/WireImage; Neilson Barnard/Getty Images

Chris Brown Slammed After Appearing To Throw Bizarre Shade At Bad Bunny's Halftime Show

Bad Bunny’s record-breaking halftime show pulled in over 135 million viewers—fans, stans, casual watchers, and yes, professional haters who tune in just to be mad. Which brings me to the loudest one in the room: Chris Brown.

Brown took to social media to offer an unsolicited—and frankly bizarre—reaction to the Puerto Rico-inspired performance, posting a cryptic message that immediately rubbed people the wrong way.

Keep ReadingShow less
Todd Richards; Big Air Snowboarder Seungeun Yu
@btoddrichards/Instagram; Ulrik Pedersen/NurPhoto via Getty Images

NBC Broadcaster Speaks Out After He's Caught On Hot Mic Trashing Men's Snowboarding Competition At Olympics

Well, we've officially got our first hot mic oopsie of the 2026 Milano Cortina Olympics!

Broadcaster Todd Richards took to Instagram Sunday to apologize for comments he made during the men's big air snowboarding event that he didn't realize were being broadcast.

Keep ReadingShow less
Amber Glenn; Donald Trump
Andy Cheung/Getty Images; Samuel Corum/Getty Images

Olympic Figure Skater Reveals 'Scary Amount' Of Threats She Got After Her Criticism Of Trump

Amber Glenn, the first openly queer woman to represent the U.S. in figure skating, spoke out in an Instagram post about the torrent of threats she's received after criticizing President Donald Trump's treatment of the LGBTQ+ community.

Glenn had voiced criticism of the Trump administration earlier in the week during a pre-Olympics press conference, describing the period as especially difficult for herself and others in the LGBTQ+ community. Her comments were among several political statements made by U.S. athletes in the run-up to the Winter Games in Milan, Italy.

Keep ReadingShow less
Rick Scott
Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

MAGA Senator Slammed After Saying U.S. Olympians Critical Of Trump Should Be 'Stripped Of Their Olympic Uniform'

Florida Republican Senator Rick Scott was slammed after sharing a video criticizing U.S. Olympians who are conflicted about representing the United States amid President Donald Trump's controversial policies.

Scott spoke out after multiple Olympians made headlines for criticizing the Trump administration amid its nationwide immigration crackdown.

Keep ReadingShow less