Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

72-Year-Old Man Set To Make History By Rowing Solo Across The Atlantic In A Homemade Boat

72-Year-Old Man Set To Make History By Rowing Solo Across The Atlantic In A Homemade Boat
Graham Walters, 72, is set to become the oldest person to row the Atlantic (Help for Heroes/PA)

A pensioner is set to become the oldest person to row solo across the Atlantic Ocean at the age of 72 – in a boat he made on his lawn.


Graham Walters is expected to break the Guinness World Record set by 66-year-old Gerard Marie of France on Wednesday when he is due to arrive in Antigua.

Mr. Walters set off on his 3,000-mile challenge on January 25 from Gran Canaria in a rowboat he built in his front lawn 22 years ago.

Graham Walters is set to be come the oldest person to row the Atlantic Ocean (Help for Heroes/PA)

The carpenter used the boat to enter an Atlantic rowing race in 1997 – the first one to be organized.

Mr. Walters, of Leicestershire, England, is now set to complete his fifth Atlantic crossing, his third as a solo rower, after 94 days – with all of his fundraising efforts going towards Help for Heroes.

He named his boat after his grandfather George Geary, a Leicestershire and England cricketer who took part in several Ashes tests.

The boat was used in the first ever Atlantic rowing competition in 1997 (Help for Heroes/PA)

It is expected to be the boat's final journey, and Mr. Walters hopes it will stay in the museum at the English Harbor in Antigua.

As he is rowing solo, the pensioner has taken a number of supplies on board – including sleeping equipment, solar panels to power the electrics, and a huge stash of chocolate and energy bars.

His wife, Jean, 62, has said she believes the crossing will be a "massive personal achievement."

Graham Walters with his wife, Jean (Help for Heroes/PA)

She said:

"He had a rocky start, with the lights going, a leak in one of the compartments, and the boat bucking like a bronco."
"Graham has always been an adventurer, so he's had it in his mind for a while now to do one 'final journey.'"
"To complete the challenge and take the record will be a massive personal achievement for him."

Mr. Walters chose to raise funds for Help for Heroes after being taken by the grit and determination of wounded veterans taking part in a previous Atlantic rowing race.

Graham is expected to complete his fifth Atlantic crossing on Wednesday (Help for Heroes/PA)

David Martin, head of supporter fundraising at Help for Heroes, said:

"Few of us would attempt such a challenge in the first flush of youth – let alone in our seventies."
"Graham is clearly a remarkable and determined man."
"We are very grateful that he has chosen to donate the money he raises to Help for Heroes; injuries have ended 40,000 military careers in 20 years and every day this number grows, so his donations will help us ensure that we can be there to support them, whenever they need us."

Help for Heroes and Mr. Walters have urged people to donate to the cause via www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Georgegearyrow.

More from News

Andy Ogles; Bad Bunny
Heather Diehl/Getty Images; Neilson Barnard/Getty Images

MAGA Rep. Dragged After Claiming Bad Bunny's Halftime Show Depicted 'Gay Pornography'

Tennessee Republican Representative Andy Ogles was widely mocked after he claimed Bad Bunny's Super Bowl halftime show was "pure smut" that depicted "gay pornography"—even going so far as to write a letter to the Energy and Commerce Committee demanding "a formal congressional inquiry" into the "indecent broadcast."

The rapper, whose real name is Benito Antonio Martínez Ocasio, delivered a largely Spanish-language show that has been hailed as a "love letter to Puerto Rico" and that drew from his latest album, Debí Tirar Más Fotos, which won the Grammy for Album of the Year just a week ago.

Keep ReadingShow less
Chris Brown (left) and Bad Bunny (right) are pictured separately amid online backlash and praise following Bad Bunny’s record-breaking Super Bowl halftime performance.
Marc Piasecki/WireImage; Neilson Barnard/Getty Images

Chris Brown Slammed After Appearing To Throw Bizarre Shade At Bad Bunny's Halftime Show

Bad Bunny’s record-breaking halftime show pulled in over 135 million viewers—fans, stans, casual watchers, and yes, professional haters who tune in just to be mad. Which brings me to the loudest one in the room: Chris Brown.

Brown took to social media to offer an unsolicited—and frankly bizarre—reaction to the Puerto Rico-inspired performance, posting a cryptic message that immediately rubbed people the wrong way.

Keep ReadingShow less
Todd Richards; Big Air Snowboarder Seungeun Yu
@btoddrichards/Instagram; Ulrik Pedersen/NurPhoto via Getty Images

NBC Broadcaster Speaks Out After He's Caught On Hot Mic Trashing Men's Snowboarding Competition At Olympics

Well, we've officially got our first hot mic oopsie of the 2026 Milano Cortina Olympics!

Broadcaster Todd Richards took to Instagram Sunday to apologize for comments he made during the men's big air snowboarding event that he didn't realize were being broadcast.

Keep ReadingShow less
Amber Glenn; Donald Trump
Andy Cheung/Getty Images; Samuel Corum/Getty Images

Olympic Figure Skater Reveals 'Scary Amount' Of Threats She Got After Her Criticism Of Trump

Amber Glenn, the first openly queer woman to represent the U.S. in figure skating, spoke out in an Instagram post about the torrent of threats she's received after criticizing President Donald Trump's treatment of the LGBTQ+ community.

Glenn had voiced criticism of the Trump administration earlier in the week during a pre-Olympics press conference, describing the period as especially difficult for herself and others in the LGBTQ+ community. Her comments were among several political statements made by U.S. athletes in the run-up to the Winter Games in Milan, Italy.

Keep ReadingShow less
Rick Scott
Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

MAGA Senator Slammed After Saying U.S. Olympians Critical Of Trump Should Be 'Stripped Of Their Olympic Uniform'

Florida Republican Senator Rick Scott was slammed after sharing a video criticizing U.S. Olympians who are conflicted about representing the United States amid President Donald Trump's controversial policies.

Scott spoke out after multiple Olympians made headlines for criticizing the Trump administration amid its nationwide immigration crackdown.

Keep ReadingShow less