Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Doctor Who Designed Cognitive Test Trump Claimed He 'Aced' Says It's 'Supposed To Be Easy'

Doctor Who Designed Cognitive Test Trump Claimed He 'Aced' Says It's 'Supposed To Be Easy'
Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images
Make us preferred on Google

You may remember the Montreal Cognitive Assessment test, or MoCA, as the test that Trump supposedly "aced"—especially since he has barely stopped speaking about it ever since.

You know, the one the entire internet joined together to mock him for recently?


Well, one of the doctors who designed the test, Dr. Ziad Nasreddine, said in an interview with MarketWatch earlier this week that the test is "supposed to be easy." And despite what the President seems to think, the test has nothing to do with intelligence.

As Dr. Nasreddine explained:

"This is not an IQ test or the level of how a person is extremely skilled or not. The test is supposed to help physicians detect early signs of Alzheimer's..."
"The purpose is to detect impairment; it's not meant to determine if someone has extremely high levels of abilities."

Nasreddine also emphasized the simplicity of the test..

“It is supposed to be easy for someone who has no cognitive impairment."

Indeed, several psychologists, doctors and other medical professionals who routinely administer the test have taken to Twitter to echo the fact that passing this test isn't much of an achievement.

But Nasreddine also said that the ridiculing of the test in recent weeks misses the point.

It may be simple, but it's anything but for the people the test is intended for.

For instance, one aspect of the test requires the test taker to recall five words they were assigned 10 mins earlier. For someone with dementia, Alzheimer's or similar conditions, that simple task is an uphill—or maybe even impossible—battle.

As Nasreddine put it:

"That's the most difficult part of the test for someone who has cognitive impairment... There are 'traps' that patients who have cognitive impairments fall into with this test."

But on Twitter, of course, people were far more focused on the silliness of Trump's repeated boasts about the test.











Laughter and controversy aside, Nasreddine also pointed out that given the ages of both candidates—Trump is 74 and Biden is 77—the question of cognitive impairment is a valid one.

"Statistically, one person out of four could have cognitive impairment or dementia at age 75. So it is a pertinent question, and it's not surprising that this is becoming an issue this election."

Here's hoping they both continue to "ace" the MoCA, then.

More from People/donald-trump

Dylan Gadeke; Christina Toni Kulusich and Disney performer
@dylangadeke/TikTok; @babytoni99/TikTok

Former Disneyland Peter Pan Defends Viral 'Peter Pan Girl' After She's Hit With Backlash For 'Stalking' Performers

So-called Disney Adults are a breed apart, for sure. But they also get more flak online than probably any other subculture out there.

And at the moment, nobody is bearing the brunt of that more than Christina Toni Kulusich, a Disney superfan and TikToker, who's become online-famous for her downright obsession with Peter Pan.

Keep ReadingShow less
screenshot from "Jesse Watters Primetime"
Fox News

Jesse Watters Dragged After Sounding The Alarm Over Video Of Mamdani Speaking Mandarin

New York City Democratic Socialist Mayor Zohran Mamdani shared a message in English, Mandarin (Chinese), Spanish, and Bengali (Bangla) about his plan—in partnership with the nonprofit Theatre Development Fund—to give away over 2,000 free Broadway tickets to one of seven participating shows.

Open to high school students in his city, sign-up began on August 13 for the lottery that will give kids an opportunity to experience the arts. The entry period ended on August 17 and winners will be chosen on September 1.

Keep ReadingShow less
Nancy Mace
Heather Diehl/Getty Images

Nancy Mace Called Out For Her Blatant Hypocrisy After Claiming Critics Of Her Tattoos Are 'Out Of Control'

South Carolina Republican Representative Nancy Mace was called out for her own hypocrisy after she complained that conservative critics of her tattoos are "out of control."

Mace recently showed off her heavily tattooed arms for the first time in a series of new videos. She revealed in a February interview with Politico that she had gotten nine tattoos, but had previously kept them hidden, typically wearing long sleeves whenever she appeared in photographs.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Scott Jennings; Jon Ossoff
CNN; Paras Griffin/Getty Images

Scott Jennings Tried To Call Out Jon Ossoff For His 'Sexist Joke' About Trump's Young Aide—And It Didn't Go Well For Him

Conservative CNN commentator Scott Jennings was reminded of President Donald Trump's own misogyny after attacking Georgia Democratic Senator Jon Ossoff over his remarks about Trump's relationship with his aide Natalie Harp.

Last month, Trump reportedly took extraordinary security precautions during a trip to Turkey, secretly switching from Air Force One to a military aircraft after an alleged threat. Although he was publicly seen boarding the presidential jet, he was later transported to the military plane concealed inside a catering truck.

Keep ReadingShow less
Alyson Stoner (left) tearfully remembers their late Kingdom Hearts co-star Hayden Panettiere (right).
@alysonstoner/Instagram; Jamie McCarthy/WireImage

'Kingdom Hearts' Star Breaks Down In Tears Over Co-Star Hayden Panettiere's Death In Heart-Wrenching Video

Hayden Panettiere’s death is weighing heavily on Alyson Stoner, who tearfully remembered the actor.

Panettiere died at age 36 after being found unresponsive on August 16 in Greenville, South Carolina. Authorities responded to a 911 call involving an apparent “overdose” and “cardiac arrest,” though police found no signs of foul play. Her death remains under investigation.

Keep ReadingShow less