Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

As Federal Employees Go Without Pay During the Shutdown, Trump's Top Officials Are About to Get a Five Figure Raise

As Federal Employees Go Without Pay During the Shutdown, Trump's Top Officials Are About to Get a Five Figure Raise
WASHINGTON, DC - OCTOBER 17: (AFP OUT) U.S. President Donald Trump (C) talks to reporters during a cabinet meeting with (L-R) Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke, Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao and others in the Cabinet Room at the White House October 17, 2018 in Washington, DC. Earlier this week Trump dispatched Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to Saudi Arabia and Turkey to meet with those countries' leaders about the disappearance of Saudi dissident and Washington Post opinion columnist Jamal Khashoggi. (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

Sounds about par for the course.

Make us preferred on Google

The federal government may be partially shut down, but that isn't stopping hundreds of President Donald Trump's political appointees from receiving annual raises of about $10,000 a year, according to documents issued by the Office of Personnel Management and experts in federal pay who've confirmed Cabinet secretaries, deputy secretaries, top administrators, and Vice President Mike Pence's raises are scheduled to go into effect beginning January 5.

The breakdown is as follows:


  • Cabinet secretaries would be entitled to a $210,700 annual salary from $199,700;
  • Deputy secretaries would be entitled to a $189,600 annual salary from $179,700 (secretaries, deputy directors and other top administrators are also affected);
  • Vice President Pence would be entitled to a $243,500 annual salary from $230,700.

The Office of Personnel Management did not respond to requests for comment nor did the White House. The pay raises are expected to cost taxpayers $300 million over 10 years, according to a Senior Executives Association (SEA) analysis. The government shutdown has affected roughly 800,000 federal employees who have not received paychecks since the shutdown began two weeks ago.

Although the Democrat-led House passed a measure which continues the executive pay freeze as part of an effort to reopen the government, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) has indicated he will not pass a bill the president likely won't sign. SEA's executive director Jason Briefel called the freeze a “politically driven policy that over time makes it harder to bring good folks to government," though he acknowledged lifting it “is definitely a slap in the face” to other federal workers.

Many, including Senators Doug Jones (D-AL) and Ed Markey (D-MA) have blasted the move.

The partial government shutdown was kicked off after the president opted not to sign a stopgap funding bill which would have averted a shutdown because he disagreed with Congress over funding for his proposed border wall on our nation’s southern border.

The shutdown is the fourth longest in U.S. history, and there is no end in sight, despite assurances from Democrats that they will pass funding bills as soon as they take office. The inauguration of the 116th Congress today marks the first time ever that a federal shutdown will extend into two different Congresses.

The president’s insistence on blaming Democrats for the shutdown contradicts his own statements. In December, he preemptively accepted ownership of a then-possible shutdown.

“I am proud to shut down the government for border security, Chuck. … I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I’m not going to blame you for it,” he told Democratic leaders Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer in the Oval Office on December 11.

After meeting with Trump and other Congressional leaders privately, Senator Schumer said the president threatened to keep the government closed for "months or even years" until he gets his desired border wall funding ($5 billion). Trump later confirmed this at a press briefing in the Rose Garden after the meeting.

Nancy Pelosi, who yesterday reclaimed her position as Speaker despite internal opposition within her own party, described a "lengthy and sometimes contentious conversation with the president."

"We cannot resolve this until we open up government," Pelosi said.

The president had a different take, however.

“I thought it was really a very, very good meeting. We’re all on the same path," he said.

Despite those words, the president has continued to claim that the shutdown is a ploy orchestrated by Democrats to keep him from being re-elected in 2020.

In a tweet earlier today, the president suggested that Democrats "only want to impeach me because they know they can't win in 2020, too much success!"

Shortly afterward, he alluded to impeachment again, saying he "won perhaps the greatest election of all time" while insisting upon his innocence regarding allegations that he and members of his administration colluded with the Russian government to win the 2016 presidential election.

Senator McConnell said the president will “designate his top people” to negotiate with Congress and end the shutdown.

“The news is that the president agreed to designate his top people to sit down with all the leaders’ staffs this weekend to see if we could come up with an agreement to recommend back to us — both to him and to the various leaders,” McConnell told reporters.

Update: After outcry and scrutiny from citizens and press alike, Vice President Mike Pence has said he'll relinquish the salary increase.

Other Trump officials have yet to comment.

More from People/donald-trump

screenshot from Fox News of Riley Gaines and Sophie Cunningham
Fox News

Riley Gaines Just Tried To Make Negative Fan Reaction To Anti-Trans WNBA Player All About Herself—And We Can't Even

The WNBA has been enjoying immense growth as more people tuned in to the women's NCAA championship then followed their favorite players to the professional league.

Sensing opportunity, Riley Gaines, a former collegiate swimmer who made a career out of tying a trans woman for 5th place in an NCAA championship race, went to a recent game between the Indiana Fever and Minnesota Lynx at the Target Center in Minneapolis.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Max Miller
@MaxMillerOH/X

MAGA Rep. Offers Bonkers Reason For Why He Couldn't Have Assaulted His Ex-Wife In Bizarre Video

Ohio Republican Representative Max Miller was criticized for his defense against accusations that he assaulted his ex-wife during a custody exchange, saying he couldn't have abused his former partner because she had offered to cook him dinner days later.

Miller's ex-wife, Emily Moreno, alleged he poured hot water on her, held a gun to her head, and broke their daughter's collarbone. Despite the controversy, Miller has made no indication he’ll drop out of the Ohio House race.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot with Rosie O'Donnell; Donald Trump
On with Kara Swisher/YouTube; Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

Rosie O'Donnell Shares Brutally Accurate Assessment Of 'Snake Oil Salesman' Trump In Viral Takedown

Speaking to podcaster Kara Swisher, actor and comedian Rosie O'Donnell recently explained how she viewed President Donald Trump as a native New Yorker before he ever took office.

O'Donnell and Trump have feuded for years and O'Donnell, fearing the worst once Trump won the 2024 election, moved to Ireland shortly before he was inaugurated. She has cited the risks Project 2025 and Trump's potential retribution pose to her and her nonbinary child.

Keep ReadingShow less
Kalia "YaYa" Wong (left) and Mario Lopez (right) in the A.I.-generated video shared to X.
@mariolopezviva/X

Mario Lopez Hit With Backlash After Sharing Bizarrely Sexual AI Video Of His Niece At Dodgers Game

In the ever-growing category of social media posts people probably wish they could unsend, Mario Lopez's latest upload is making a strong case for the top spot.

The actor and Access Hollywood host is facing backlash after sharing a since-deleted X video—captured by freelance journalist Yashar Ali—featuring himself and his niece, Kalia "YaYa" Wong, at a Los Angeles Dodgers game.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Marco Rubio; Screenshot of Marco Rubio from the widely-circulated meme
Fox News

Marco Rubio Finally Addressed That Oft-Memed Photo Of Him Sitting On An Oval Office Couch: 'I Hated That Picture'

Secretary of State Marco Rubio admitted that he actually did find a viral photo of him looking miserable while sitting on a couch in the Oval Office rather "funny."

The February 2025 image captured Rubio seemingly sinking into an Oval Office couch during a tense meeting involving President Donald Trump, Vice President JD Vance, and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. The photo quickly went viral, with many online pointing to it as a reflection of Rubio's increasingly expansive portfolio within the Trump administration.

Keep ReadingShow less