Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Donald Trump Just Announced He's Pulling Out of the Iran Deal and Iran Has Already Responded With a Threat

Donald Trump Just Announced He's Pulling Out of the Iran Deal and Iran Has Already Responded With a Threat
WASHINGTON, DC - MAY 08: U.S. President Donald Trump holds up a memorandum that reinstates sanctions on Iran after he announced his decision to withdraw the United States from the 2015 Iran nuclear deal in the Diplomatic Room at the White House May 8, 2018 in Washington, DC. After two and a half years of negotiations, Iran agreed in 2015 to end its nuclear program in exchange for Western countries, including the United States, lifting decades of economic sanctions. Since then international inspectors have not found any violations of the terms by Iran. (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

They're wasting no time.

Make us preferred on Google

President Donald Trump announced earlier today that the United States would exit the Iran nuclear deal.

"It is clear to me that we cannot prevent an Iranian nuclear bomb under the decaying and rotten structure of the current agreement," Trump said from the White House Diplomatic Room. "The Iran deal is defective at its core. If we do nothing we know exactly what will happen."


Trump had long campaigned against the nuclear deal and made exiting the agreement one of the signature pledges of his candidacy during the 2016 presidential election. He noted that any nation that helps Iran obtain nuclear weapons would also be "strongly sanctioned."

"This was a horrible one-sided deal that should have never, ever been made," the President said. "It didn't bring calm, it didn't bring peace, and it never will."

The president had earlier criticized the deal as one of the Obama administration's "worst" decisions, and in his statements, he expressed his belief that the deal served to benefit the Iranian regime while sponsoring terrorism.

"At the point when the US had maximum leverage, this disastrous deal gave this regime -- and it's a regime of great terror -- many billions of dollars, some of it in actually cash -- a great embarrassment to me as a citizen," Trump said.

It didn't take long for Tehran to respond. The Associated Press reports that the Iranian president said that should negotiations fail, "the Islamic Republic will enrich uranium 'more than before ... in next weeks."

The president's move earned a harsh rebuke from numerous political figures, particularly those who helped negotiate the deal.

Ending the United States's participation in the nuclear deal "will have a devastatingly chilling effect on any kind of economic activity" between Europe and Iran," said Tony Blinken, former deputy secretary of State under former president Barack Obama.

Robert Einhorn, a former arms control official at State under Obama's first Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton, observed that it will take time to redevelop the "regulatory scheme" required should the United States decide to reimpose sanctions.

The practical effect of exiting the deal is to notify banks, busineses, and purchasers of Iranian crude oil "that in the next 180 days, before November, they have to either stop importing Iranian crude oil or make significant reductions, up to 20% of Iranian crude oil," Einhorn said.

Marie Harf, a political commentator for Fox News who worked as the Senior Advisor of Strategic Communications to former Secretary of State John Kerry and led the Iran nuclear negotiations communications strategy, criticized the president's move, observing that "saying it [that the United States will exit the deal] doesn't just make it so."

Harf noted, in particular, that the president only condemned the deal, and never offered a course of action going forward:

I thought what was interesting was that Donald Trump said a lot about what he didn't like in the deal. He said a lot about how bad Iran's behavior is, and he said very little about what comes next, and how he will actually work to fix the deal, whether he has a comprehensive plan in place, and he almost made an implicit military threat when he said, 'If Iran moves in a direction we don't want them to, they will face a problem like they've never seen before.'

So for a lot of us, the question facing the president today wasn't whether or not we should have done the deal originally. We know how he feels about that. It's what the best course is moving forward, and if tomorrow Iran kicks out the inspectors, if they restart their enrichment because now we have made the deal null and void, what will Donald Trump do? We did not hear details about how he will prevent Iran from getting a nuclear weapon going forward, and I think it's incumbent upon him and his administration now to lay out their case for how they will do that.

Proponents of exiting the agreement have cited weaknesses that the leaders of France, Germany and Britain themselves have acknowledged and pledged to improve. These include:

  • eliminating expiration dates on vital restrictions on Iran's nuclear activity, allowing Iran to resume large-scale processing of nuclear fuel starting in 2025
  • allowing inspections of military sites, which Iran currently prohibits
  • limiting Iran's ballistic missile program
  • addressing Iran's support for terrorist groups across the Middle East

French President Emmanuel Macron met with President Trump last month and urged Congress to not only stay in the deal, but seek to improve it. German Chancellor Angela Merkel and British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson, in separate meetings with the president, also urged him to keep the deal, agreeing with the assessment from U.S. intelligence agencies and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo that the deal limits Iran's nuclear capabilities for now and that Iran has always complied.

More from People/donald-trump

Marco Rubio
Eric Lee/Getty Images

Marco Rubio Just Tried To Claim That 'American Citizenship Is Not For Sale'—And Everyone Had The Same Response

Secretary of State Marco Rubio was called out after trying to claim on X that "American citizenship is not for sale," even though the Trump administration offers a route toward citizenship in exchange for a large financial contribution.

Birthright citizenship is a legal concept that grants citizenship automatically at birth. It exists in two forms: ancestry-based citizenship and birthplace-based citizenship. The latter, known as jus soli, a Latin term meaning "right of the soil," grants citizenship based on the location of birth.

Keep ReadingShow less
Pete Hegseth
Jim Watson/AFP via Getty Images

Pete Hegseth's Past Comments About Hygiene Resurface After He's Caught On Video Running His Snotty Hands Through His Hair

Remarks about not having washed his hands "in 10 years" resurfaced after Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth was caught on video wiping his nose with his hands before immediately running those same hands through his hair.

Hegseth was seen doing just that while listening to Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent deliver remarks. Footage went viral after it was shared by progressive journalist Aaron Rupar.

Keep ReadingShow less
John Hinckley Jr. (left) shares a new message for Jodie Foster (right) 45 years after the assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan.
The Mark Joseph Show/YouTube; Gary Gershoff/WireImage

John Hinckley Jr. Shares New Message For Jodie Foster 45 Years After Shooting Ronald Reagan To Impress Her

Some Hollywood stories fade with time. The disturbing history connecting Jodie Foster and John Hinckley Jr. is not one of them. For those who don’t know, on March 30, 1981, Hinckley waited outside the Washington Hilton in Washington, D.C., where President Ronald Reagan had just addressed 5,000 members of the AFL-CIO.

As Reagan emerged from the hotel, Hinckley fired six shots from a revolver. One bullet ricocheted off Reagan’s limousine and struck him beneath his arm. White House Press Secretary James Brady, police officer Thomas Delahanty and Secret Service agent Timothy McCarthy were also wounded.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump; Scott MacFarlane
Jim Watson/AFP via Getty Images; CNN

Journalist Reveals Just How Much Money Has Been Diverted From National Parks For Trump's Vanity Projects—And People Are Livid

In a series of articles for MacFarlane News and MeidasTouch, videos, and an appearance on CNN, Chief Washington Correspondent for MeidasTouch Scott MacFarlane blew the whistle on MAGA Republican President Donald Trump’s raiding of National Park Service (NPS) funds. Aided by his Interior Secretary Doug Burgum, Trump diverted NPS money to pay for all of his White House and Washington D.C. vanity projects.

Trump’s hand-selected, mostly unwanted and unnecessary White House grounds and National Mall projects—things like a botched reflecting pool resurfacing, golden decor, a helipad, a ballroom, gilded statues, and giant flagpoles—alone took $423 million from major national parks across the country.

Keep ReadingShow less
Woman using hair tie
aire images/Getty Images

Engaged Woman Sparks Theories After Finding Strange Hair Tie Near Her And Fiancé's Home Entryway

Finding out that your partner is cheating doesn't always have to involve accidentally seeing a nefarious text message or walking in on the act. But sometimes, signs of what could be cheating might have a far stranger explanation.

Posting in the "Girl Dinner Diaries" subReddit, Redditor Jack-of-not posted a photo of an open-faced sandwich and explained what she'd discovered:

Keep ReadingShow less