Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Sarah Sanders Repeated a False Claim About the Media and Osama bin Laden, and CNN Just Called Her Out

Sarah Sanders Repeated a False Claim About the Media and Osama bin Laden, and CNN Just Called Her Out

Fake news.

Make us preferred on Google

White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders is under scrutiny after she claimed that the media is at fault for thwarting U.S. spying on Osama bin Laden's activities prior to the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

Sanders said the following as she answered a question about threats and insults reporters have faced from Trump supporters:


When it comes to the media the president does think that the media holds a responsibility. We fully support a free press, but there also comes a high level of responsibility with that. The media routinely reports on classified information and government secrets that put lives in danger and risks valuable national security tools. One of the worst cases was the reporting on the U.S. ability to listen to Osama Bin Laden's satellite phone in the late 90s. Because of that reporting, he stopped using that phone and the country lost valuable intelligence.

That story has been debunked––and CNN soon called Sanders out.

As CNN's Jeremy Diamond notes in the piece:

That assertion is false and has previously been debunked years ago.

Sanders did not respond to CNN requests asking which article she was specifically referring to, but Sanders appeared to be drawing on a claim by former President George W. Bush and the 9/11 Commission.

Bush and the commission in 2005 blamed an August 1998 article in The Washington Times for revealing that the US government had the ability to monitor bin Laden's satellite communications.

The story in question did not claim that the US government was monitoring the phone, instead merely reporting that bin Laden used a satellite phone––something that was widely known at the time. Further, a Washington Post article from the time of Bush's accusation points out that the Taliban, and bin Laden himself, not the US government, were the sources of information about bin Laden's phone usage.

Several media reports, including one from CNN, around the time of the August 1998 Washington Times story also noted that bin Laden used a satellite phone, including to conduct media interviews. Only a USA Today story from around that time quoted a former US official noting that bin Laden "had a fondness for his cell phone."

Diamond goes on to note that:

Despite the lack of reporting about the US government monitoring that phone, some national security officials at the time later claimed bin Laden's [sic] stopped using that satellite phone because of the Washington Times report––and the 9/11 commission later parroted that assertion.

On September 7, 1998 a US newspaper, the Los Angeles Times, reported on US government monitoring of bin Laden's satellite phone––but in that same article they noted that bin Laden could be scaling back use of the devices.

Sanders, for her part, finally responded to CNN, and she stuck to her claims despite being debunked.

The message prompted MSNBC's Chris Hayes to ask what Sanders's assertions "have to do with yelling and cursing at a reporter doing a stand up."

Morning Joe co-host Joe Scarborough also criticized Sanders, saying that she lied and spread “Pizzagate nonsense."

“But then speaking of fake news, you have Sarah Huckabee Sanders pushing a lie,” Scarborough said. “The fake news about some report on Osama bin Laden and how the press actually stopped American military men and women from catching [bin Laden]. She might as well have said Neil Armstrong never walked on the moon. Just pure conspiracy, ‘Pizzagate’ nonsense.”

Co-host Willie Geist concurred, saying the White House is actively “promoting” conspiracy theories and condemning the presence of apparent QAnon believers––those who believe Robert Mueller was actually appointed by President Donald Trump to investigate Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, and other top Democrats––at one of the president's rallies.

"Widely debunked theory that goes back to his rally two nights ago,” Geist said. “Those QAnon we talked about this yesterday. The signs up everywhere. There’s conspiracy theories all over the place. Not only are they not squashing them, but they’re promoting them from the lectern of the briefing room.”

Sanders

More from News

Screenshot of Abby Philip and Scott Jennings
CNN

CNN Just Played A Montage Of Trump Attacking Women To Call Out Scott Jennings' Selective Outrage—And His Reaction Speaks Volumes

After conservative commentator Scott Jennings tried to cry foul over Georgia Democratic Senator Jon Ossoff's quip about President Donald Trump's problematic relationship with his aide Natalie Harp, CNN highlighted his selective outrage by playing a montage of Trump attacking various women.

Ossoff drew attention to the Trump-Harp relationship while discussing U.S. Navy sailors who have complained about the conditions aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln, which has been deployed in the Middle East since November of 2025.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Donald Trump
Fox News

Trump Dragged After Bragging That He's 'Very Good At Flagpoles' In Bizarre Video

President Donald Trump was widely mocked after randomly boasting that he's "very good at flagpoles" while discussing his various White House construction projects with members of the press.

Trump, per CNN's Kasie Hunt, "spent 32 minutes… explaining in painstaking detail the changes that he’s bringing to the People’s House.” And at one point, he bragged about the “two beautiful flag poles on both sides of the White House.”

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Sean Hannity with Darline Graham during broadcast
Fox News

Sean Hannity Hit With Brutal Reminder After He Defends Darline Graham's Lack Of National Security Knowledge

Fox News personality Sean Hannity was called out for his hypocrisy after defending Republican Senate candidate Darline Graham's stunning debate admission that "national security is not my thing."

Last month, Darline Graham was appointed by Governor Henry McMaster to temporarily fill the Senate seat previously occupied by her brother, the late Senator Lindsey Graham. President Donald Trump backed her candidacy for a full six-year term.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots from @Rainmaker1973's video
@Rainmaker1973/X

Man At Beach With Metal Detector Becomes Internet Hero After Helping Woman Find Her Lost Engagement Ring

As beautiful as sandy beaches are, they're like quicksand for jewelry and keys, so if someone drops their ring or necklace or house key into the sand, there's a pretty good chance that it's gone forever.

Fortunately for one engaged couple, a man was using his metal detector and was able to help when the woman dropped her engagement ring in the sand.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots from @ocjusticeinitiative's Instagram video
@ocjusticeinitiative/Instagram

Indian-American Man Floored After Stranger Gives Him Racist 'Compliment' In Infuriating Viral Video

Sometimes, people are so racist, it's hard to tell if they're just that hatefully racist, or if they're intentionally trying to bait innocent people for views.

A woman approached an Indian-American man in a restaurant while he was enjoying a meal with his daughters, and she pretended to compliment him—but it was totally backhanded.

Keep ReadingShow less