Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

NCAA Upgrades Weight Room After Female Player Calls Out Sexist Disparity Between Tournaments

NCAA Upgrades Weight Room After Female Player Calls Out Sexist Disparity Between Tournaments
@sedonaprince_/Twitter

A viral video showing the disparity between male and female exercise facilities provided by the NCAA during the March Madness basketball tournaments prompted the collegiate sports organization to apologize and make some changes.

Sedona Prince, a basketball player for The University of Oregon, previously posted a video exposing the contrast between the well-equipped men's facilities in Indianapolis and the women's weight room that only had a single stand for lightweights at the San Antonio tournament facilities.


"If you aren't upset about this problem, then you're a part of it," said Prince in the video, which you can see here.

Prince added March was also about more than just basketball.

Her post calling out the NCAA and their excuse it was an "available space" issue received some high profile attention on social media.

@SheaSerrano/Twitter



It also brought to light a number of other inequities.



After the video prompted online backlash for the scarcity of equipment in the women's basketball tournament's weight room, the NCAA responded by providing an upgrade with benches, more free weights, racks and cardio equipment.

"Social media is powerful," tweeted Prince, adding, "Thank you for all of y'all's support."

The student-athlete's latest video showed the vast improvement to the facilities and the positive reaction from her teammates upon discovering the equipment upgrade on Saturday morning.

Prince exclaimed in the video:

"Guess what, guys? We got a weight room! Thank you, NCAA, for listening to us. We appreciate y'all, for real."

The controversy started when Ali Kershner, a coach at Stanford, first shared the photos showing a discrepancy with the workout equipment provided for the men and women teams.

The photo below showed the women's weight room—a single rack of lightweights and a table in an otherwise empty and underutilized space.

@alikershnier/Twitter

And this photo was from the men's weight room which was filled with squat racks, benches, extended-weight dumbbells and other equipment.

@alikershnier/Twitter

The NCAA's Vice President of women's basketball, Lynn Holzman, issued a statement saying the NCAA acknowledged "that some of the amenities teams would typically have access to have not been as available inside the controlled environment."

Holzman continued:

"In part, this is due to the limited space and the original plan was to expand the workout area once additional space was available later in the tournament."
"However, we want to be responsive to the needs of our participating teams, and we are actively working to enhance existing resources at practice courts, including additional weight training equipment."

But the VP's excuse, which did not include a formal apology, did not sit well with Prince, which led to her viral post on March 18.

On Friday, NCAA President Mark Emmert apologized to the women's teams.

"This is not something that should have happened and, should we ever conduct a tournament like this again, will never happen again," said Emmert.

Prince followed up her tweet of appreciation with gratitude.

Social media users praised Prince for leading the charge but also commented there still needs to be progress for the treatment of female athletes.







The reason why the NCAA initially skimped on providing women players gym equipment remains questionable.


Twitter user @RichDevall argued:

"Whether they bring in less money or not is a nonsense argument, they have a $50m a year TV deal for this tournament, last time I checked that is just about enough to set up a proper weight room without being shamed into it."

More from Trending

Alec Baldwin; Elon Musk; Lupita Nyong'o
John Nacion/FilmMagic; Harun Ozalp/Anadolu via Getty Images; Bruce Glikas/WireImage

Alec Baldwin Just Effortlessly Shut Down Elon Musk's Criticism Of Christopher Nolan Casting Lupito Nyong'o In 'The Odyssey'

Once again Hollywood decided to cast a Black woman in a movie and once again conservatives are having a temper tantrum about it—especially Elon Musk.

The far-right weirdo had a full crashout on X about Lupita Nyong'o's casting as Helen of Troy in Christopher Nolan's forthcoming The Odyssey adaptation, leading many to rake him over the coals.

Keep Reading Show less
Javier Bardem; Donald Trump
Samir Hussein/WireImage; Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

Javier Bardem Calls Out Trump's 'Male Toxic Behavior' In Fiery NSFW Rant—And He's Spot On

Oscar-winning actor Javier Bardem criticized President Donald Trump and other despotic world leaders at the Cannes Film Festival on Sunday, condemning the "male toxic behavior" they exhibit on a regular basis.

Bardem spoke while promoting director Rodrigo Sorogoyen's The Beloved, in which he stars as an acclaimed director forced to reckon with his distant relationship with his daughter. Bardem said the film is itself an exploration of toxic masculinity, namely “the bad education that we have received for many ages."

Keep Reading Show less
Kimberly Guilfoyle
Nicolas Koutsokostas/NurPhoto via Getty Images

Kimberly Guilfoyle Gets Dragged Hard Over Her Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony In Greece For New McDonald's

U.S. Ambassador to Greece Kimberly Guilfoyle was widely mocked after gushing over a new McDonald's location at The Mall in Athens, referring to it as the "most technologically advanced McDonald's in all of Europe."

Guilfoyle took to social media with the following message, sharing photos from the ribbon-cutting ceremony:

Keep Reading Show less
Screenshot of Eric Metaxas
@atrupar/X

Clip Of MAGA Speaker At Prayer Event Claiming God 'Raised Up' Trump To Build His Ballroom Is Peak MAGA

MAGA author and radio host Eric Metaxas was criticized after claiming that God "raised up" President Donald Trump after two centuries so he could build his new White House ballroom.

Last year, Trump ordered the demolition of the entire East Wing to make way for a 90,000 square-foot ballroom that will dwarf the size of the White House itself, sparking alarm from historical preservationists and the public alike.

Keep Reading Show less
Pete Buttigieg; Sean Duffy
CNN; Eric Lee/Getty Images

Pete Buttigieg Perfectly Shames Sean Duffy Over His 'Road Trip' Reality Show With A Reminder Of His Own 'Taxpayer-Funded Road Trip'

On Friday, May 8, MAGA Republican President Donald Trump's Secretary of Transportation returned to his Fox News stomping grounds to announce a return to his reality TV roots with a five-part YouTube series. Duffy, who was a self-described party boy on MTV's Real World: Boston back in the 1990s, owes his name value to his time on reality TV.

Following his first stint in the Real World franchise, Duffy returned to compete on MTV Road Rules, later meeting his wife, Fox & Friends Weekend co-anchor Rachel Campos-Duffy—herself a notorious hard partier from Real World: San Francisco—on an installment of the program.

Keep Reading Show less