Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Mark Kelly Rips Pete Hegseth After Pentagon Moves To Cut His Pension And Demote Him Over Video About Illegal Orders

Mark Kelly; Pete Hegseth
Jacek Boczarski/Anadolu via Getty Images; Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

Democratic Senator Mark Kelly slammed the Pentagon on Monday after they moved to demote his rank and cut his retirement benefits over his appearance in a video reminding members of the military that they have a duty to "refuse illegal orders."

Make us preferred on Google

Senator Mark Kelly, who flew combat missions during the Gulf War in the U.S. Navy before being selected as a NASA Space Shuttle pilot, blasted MAGA Republican President Donald Trump's Secretary of Defense, Pete Hegseth, for his part in the latest Trump administration attempt to lash out at their political rivals.

Hegseth previously demanded the Navy provide punishment recommendations to the Pentagon's Office of General Counsel for the retired Captain, who flew 39 combat missions during the Gulf War before going to space four times for NASA.


On Monday morning, Hegseth posted a lengthy prepared statement on X under his fake title, Secretary of War, to claim Kelly and five other members of Congress posting a video stating the truth—backed by military laws and regulations—was "seditious."

The title Secretary of War has not existed in the United States since Congress—the only federal body authorized to add or change cabinet level departments—changed the Department of War to the Department of Defense in 1949 as an amendment to the National Security Act of 1947.

Changing the Department of Defense (DoD) officially to the Department of War could cost up to $2 billion. Some of the costly changes have already been made, despite the name being unofficial and unauthorized.

Trump issued an executive order in September to change the name back in another self-serving desperate attempt to seem tough, much like his orchestrated attacks against members of Congress, state governors, mayors, and celebrities.

You can see Hegseth's post here:

@SecWar/X

But even Grok—Elon Musk's manipulated AI for his X platform—wasn't buying Hegseth's attempt to make petty revenge legitimate.

reply to @SecWar/X


reply to @SecWar/X

Grok also found where Hegseth himself—a Princeton ROTC graduate who joined the Minnesota Army National Guard—made the same "seditious" statement he was condemning Kelly for.

reply to @SecWar/X

Senator Kelly was undeterred and unintimidated by the Trump administration's latest attack against him.

In his own X post, using a legitimate title, Senator Kelly stated:

"Pete Hegseth wants to send the message to every single retired servicemember that if they say something he or Donald Trump doesn’t like, they will come after them the same way. It’s outrageous and it is wrong. There is nothing more un-American than that."
"If Pete Hegseth, the most unqualified Secretary of Defense in our country’s history, thinks he can intimidate me with a censure or threats to demote me or prosecute me, he still doesn’t get it. I will fight this with everything I’ve got — not for myself, but to send a message back that Pete Hegseth and Donald Trump don’t get to decide what Americans in this country get to say about their government."

You can see his full post here:

Reactions to both Kelly's and Hegseth's posts were markedly different.

While Kelly received widespread support...


reply to @SenMarkKelly/X



reply to @SenMarkKelly/X


...Hegseth was met with pushback and mockery.

reply to @SecWar/X



reply to @SecWar/X




reply to @SecWar/X



reply to @SecWar/X



reply to @SecWar/X






Two high ranking Republican Senators also spoke out publicly about Hegseth's actions.

Maine GOP Senator Susan Collins—chair of the Senate Armed Forces Appropriations Committee which controls the Pentagon's budget—told the press on Monday:

"I don’t think that’s appropriate."

North Carolina Republican Senator Thom Tillis told the Huffington Post:

"I think it has a chilling effect on speech, and I’ve got a real problem with it. And I think Hegseth overreached."

Whether the Trump administration backs down voluntarily remains to be seen.

But the action is largely performative as legal and military experts have already declared the action will fail upon any legal or military code of justice review.

More from News/political-news

Jamie Lee Curtis
Errich Petersen/SXSW Conference & Festivals/Getty Images

Jamie Lee Curtis Clears The Air After Saying She Had An 'Awful' Experience Filming 'New Girl'

Every actor has their preferences when it comes to stage production, and Jamie Lee Curtis is no exception, especially when it comes to comedy.

Curtis was recently touring to promote and answer questions about her latest show, Newlyweds on NBC, which she co-created with Black-ish and Ugly Betty's Gail Lerner. The Freakier Friday actress explained that she was excited to create a story that centered around older characters and finding love later in life, following a couple portrayed by Tea Leoni and Tim Daly.

Keep ReadingShow less
Ashley Callingbull
@corrinaaligned/Instagram

Former Miss Universe Canada Praised After Calling Out Contestants' Costumes For Cultural Appropriation On Live TV

Ashley Callingbull, Canada's 2024 Miss Universe contestant, made history that year when she became the first First Nations competitor to win the pageant.

Now, she's using that platform to call out other contestants for cultural appropriation in their pageant appearances.

Keep ReadingShow less
screenshots from videos of ICE agent and Carolina Molina
@tinyandstrongthings/Instagram; CNN/TikTok

ICE Agent Points Gun In Virginia Woman's Face And Claims She Tried To 'Run Us Over'—But Her Video Tells A Different Story

On August 10, Carolina Molina was driving to immigration lawyers' offices in Falls Church, Virginia, to drop off business cards. A licensed counselor, Molina offers services for immigrants who may be dealing with trauma.

Seeing Department of Homeland Security's Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents patrolling around the immigration law offices, Molina admitted to rolling down her window and yelling at ICE as they were abducting two men, calling the agents "ho" and "bitch." Molina said the agents took offense, used their vehicles to box in her car, brandished a gun, and threatened her.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jadon MacCormack
Jadon E. MacCormack/Facebook

MAGA Candidate Who Wants To Execute All LGBTQ+ People Declares Himself 'True Winner' Of GOP Primary Despite Losing Badly

Connecticut State House candidate Jadon MacCormack recently made headlines for calling for the execution of all LGBTQ+ people, and now he's insisting he's the "true winner" of his state's Republican primary despite suffering a humiliating defeat.

MacCormack suffered a decisive defeat in the Republican primary, receiving just 90 votes, or 19.6% of the 458 votes cast. Anthony Emilio won with 80.4% and will face five-term Democratic incumbent Pat Boyd in November.

Keep ReadingShow less
Marco Rubio
Eric Lee/Getty Images

Marco Rubio Just Tried To Claim That 'American Citizenship Is Not For Sale'—And Everyone Had The Same Response

Secretary of State Marco Rubio was called out after trying to claim on X that "American citizenship is not for sale," even though the Trump administration offers a route toward citizenship in exchange for a large financial contribution.

Birthright citizenship is a legal concept that grants citizenship automatically at birth. It exists in two forms: ancestry-based citizenship and birthplace-based citizenship. The latter, known as jus soli, a Latin term meaning "right of the soil," grants citizenship based on the location of birth.

Keep ReadingShow less