Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

HBO CEO Admits To Creating Fake Twitter Accounts To Troll TV Critics Who Gave Negative Reviews

Casey Blows
Jerod Harris/Getty Images for Vox Media

HBO CEO Casey Bloys admitted his previous method of dealing with negative reviews was 'very dumb.'

HBO and Max CEO Casey Bloys issued an apology to television critics on Thursday for his past use of fake Twitter accounts to respond to negative reviews of HBO series. The apology came in the wake of a recent report that exposed Bloys' previous behavior.

Bloys made his public apology during a presentation at HBO's New York headquarters, which was organized to promote HBO and Max's upcoming programming slate.


He began by expressing his passion for the shows HBO produces and the teams behind them. Bloys emphasized the importance of delivering exceptional content and hearing feedback from critics.

He said:

“For those of you who know me, you know that I am a programming executive very, very passionate about the shows that we decide to do. And the people who do them and the people who work on them."
“I want the shows to be great. I want people to love them. I want you all to love them. It’s very important to me what you all think of the shows."
"When you think about that, and then think of 2020 and 2021, I’m working from home and doing an unhealthy amount of scrolling through Twitter. And I come up with a very, very dumb idea to vent my frustration.”

Bloys acknowledged that this was not an effective approach and extended his apology to those who were mentioned in leaked emails and texts. He expressed his understanding that nobody wants to be inadvertently embroiled in a story that they have no connection to.

He said:

“Obviously, six tweets over a year and a half is not very effective. But I do apologize to the people who were mentioned in the leaked emails, texts."
"Obviously, nobody wants to be part of a story that they have nothing to do with. But also, as many of you know, I have progressed over the past couple of years to using DMs."

Bloys said he chooses to direct message individuals when he disagrees with reviews or opinions and suggested that this is a "healthier way" to address concerns and expressed a willingness to discuss this further in a Q&A session:

"So now, when I take issue with something in a review, or take issue with something I see, many of you are gracious enough to engage with me in a back and forth and I think that is a probably a much healthier way to go about this."
"But we’ll talk more about that, and you guys can ask me anything you want in the Q&A. I just wanted to put that out there.”

The news that the CEO of one of the entertainment world's most recognizable television studios had engaged in such behavior exposed Bloys to criticism and mockery.


Bloys' apology came after Rolling Stone published a report detailing a lawsuit filed against HBO and Bloys by former employee Sully Temori.

The lawsuit alleges wrongful termination and references alleged text messages between Bloys and other HBO executives discussing using fake Twitter accounts to troll critics who'd written negative reviews.

The text exchanges included discussions about responding to critics who had spoken negatively about HBO series like Perry Mason and Mare of Easttown.

Temori, who was previously an executive assistant, claimed to have created a Twitter account attributed to the fictitious persona Kelly Shepard. This account was used to send tweets in response to negative reviews.

More from Entertainment/tv-and-movies

Images from police bodycam footage of University of Iowa fraternity hazing
@TimothyJones92/X

Bodycam Footage Of Cops Discovering Bizarre Hazing Ritual In Basement Of Frat House Has The Internet Creeped Out

Disturbing video footage of a University of Iowa fraternity hazing ritual has gone viral after local authorities released police bodycam footage.

The videos show a bizarre and discomfiting scene of 56 mostly shirtless students pledging the Alpha Delta Phi fraternity seemingly confined in a filthy basement.

Keep ReadingShow less
JD Vance
Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images

JD Vance Slammed For His Comically Evil Laugh After Fox Host Asks Him About Running For President In 2028

On Tuesday, MAGA Republican Vice President JD Vance appeared on Fox News' The Story with Martha MacCallum. During the segment, Vance was asked about his future plans.

MacCallum played a clip of President Donald Trump calling Vance "fantastic," but also praising the "great job" Secretary of State Marco Rubio is doing. The Fox host then asked the VP if he wished Trump would would endorse him for President over Rubio.

Keep ReadingShow less
Meghan McCain
Roy Rochlin/Getty Images

Meghan McCain Mocked For Seemingly Just Realizing That MAGA Wants Women To Stay Home And Raise Kids

Former The View co-host Meghan McCain was widely mocked after complaining about MAGA conservatives' "harsh views" about women who don't want children—prompting many to wonder if she's been paying any attention at all.

McCain's remarks come as conservatives increasingly encourage women, particularly younger women, to prioritize motherhood. Several women tied to the administration, including Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt, Katie Miller—wife of Deputy Chief of Staff Stephen Miller—and Second Lady Usha Vance, have recently spoken publicly about their pregnancies.

Keep ReadingShow less
Stephen Colbert; Kristi Noem
Kevin Winter/Getty Images; Joe Raedle/Getty Images

Stephen Colbert Has Hilariously NSFW Piece Of Advice For Kristi Noem's Alleged Affair Partner

After The Wall Street Journal published a report alleging that Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem is having an affair with her aide Corey Lewandowski, late-night host Stephen Colbert offered up an NSFW warning for Lewandowski in particular.

Noem and Lewandowski, both married with families, have denied the claims. Still, sources told the Journal the two officials have been traveling together on a luxury 737 MAX with a private cabin in the rear.

Keep ReadingShow less
Reverend Jesse Jackson leads children in his empowering “I Am Somebody” chant during a 1972 appearance on Sesame Street.
Courtesy of PBS

'Sesame Street' Shares Sweet Throwback Clip Of Late Rev. Jesse Jackson Empowering Kids With 'I Am Somebody' Chant

Reverend Jesse Jackson’s iconic “I Am Somebody” declaration once again resonated with audiences of all ages when Sesame Street revisited a 1972 episode featuring the civil rights leader reciting the poem with young viewers.

In the clip, a 31-year-old Jackson stands on the show’s familiar brownstone stoop, his Afro softly rounded beneath the studio lights. He wears a purple, white, and black striped shirt and a gold medallion bearing a high-relief profile of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., a tribute resting squarely over his heart.

Keep ReadingShow less