Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Madison Cawthorn Just Threw Trump Under The Bus Over Jan. 6—Because Of Course He Did

Madison Cawthorn Just Threw Trump Under The Bus Over Jan. 6—Because Of Course He Did
Joe Raedle/Getty Images; Tayfun Coskun/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images

Outgoing North Carolina Republican Representative Madison Cawthorn—who lost his GOP primary bid to retain his seat last month—claimed former Republican Donald Trump created a “dangerous setting” outside the United States Capitol on January 6, 2021, the day a mob of lead by Trump's White nationalist supporters attacked the seat of government at his behest on the false premise the 2020 general election had been stolen.

Cawthorn, when asked during an interview on The Carlos Watson Show if he had any regrets about speaking at the "Stop the Steal" rally ahead of the attack, said he would have directed the crowd to protest peacefully.


That's an about-face from comments he made on the same program in February 2021—shortly after the attack—when he said, "I don’t regret it, actually, Carlos," in response to host Carlos Watson's questions about his headspace before, during and after the attack that left at least five people dead and resulted in over 100 injuries to law enforcement and millions of dollars in damages.

You can hear Cawthorn's latest remarks below.

Cawthorn said:

“Well, you know, one, I mean, you know, President Donald Trump said, ‘I want you to peaceably and patriotically protest,’—that’s good on his part."
"But if I could go back, I probably and I had an opportunity to speak with the President, which I did not, I would have asked that he did not send or tell the crowd to go down to the Capitol.”
"You know, I think that that just put everything in a dangerous setting.”

Cawthorn's statements are remarkable because he repeatedly backed Trump's narrative about that day.

The extent of Cawthorn's alleged involvement in the January 6 insurrection appeared to become clearer following a bombshell report from Rolling Stone.

On Sunday, October 24, Rolling Stone published an article stating several supporters of former President Trump who helped plan the insurrection had multiple planning sessions with senior White House staffers and Republican members of Congress.

Sources who spoke to the magazine said they met with several high-profile Trump acolytes, including Representatives Paul Gosar (Arizona), Marjorie Taylor Greene (Georgia), Lauren Boebert (Colorado) and Cawthorn himself.

Organizers claim Gosar promised "blanket pardons" to anyone who participated in the attack, adding they "would talk to Boebert's team, Cawthorn's team, Gosar's team like back to back to back to back."

His about-face was not well-received by his critics, who noted the damage he'd already done by committing to Trump's lies for so long



As recently as last month, Trump had called on Republicans to give the scandal-ridden Cawthorn a "second chance" despite reports that Trump had become "increasingly annoyed" with him in light of a multitude of unsavory headlines, which at that point included a video clip that shows Cawthorn naked in bed and making thrusting motions on top of another man.

Trump issued his defense of Cawthorn via Truth Social, his personal social media platform. He said Cawthorn had been through "a life changing event the likes of which, fortunately, few people will ever have to endure"—a reference to the car accident that left Cawthorn partially paralyzed and reliant on a wheelchair.

Trump added that Cawthorn "did a great job" when he was first elected and only recently "made some foolish mistakes."

Trump's defense was largely perceived as a tactical one to get Republicans through this year's midterm elections, as evidenced by a Rolling Stone report that Trump is "not impressed" with Cawthorn's recent scandals, according to sources who spoke to the magazine on condition of anonymity.

More from People/donald-trump

JD Vance's Attempt At A Joke About AOC Completely Bombed—And AOC Just Came In For The Kill
@atrupar/X; Sean Gallup/Getty Images

JD Vance's Attempt At A Joke About AOC Completely Bombed—And AOC Just Came In For The Kill

After Vice President JD Vance completely bombed a joke about New York Democratic Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez during a Board of Peace press conference, Ocasio-Cortez mocked him in a post on X.

President Donald Trump debuted the Board of Peace during last month's World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, presenting it as a body meant to manage the next stage of his proposed peace plan for Gaza.

Keep ReadingShow less
Karoline Leavitt
Saul Loeb/AFP via Getty Images

Karoline Leavitt Gets Awkward Reminder After Claiming Anything On Truth Social Is 'Directly From President Trump'

During the Wednesday press briefing, White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt directly contradicted her boss, MAGA Republican President Donald Trump.

Leavitt told the White House press corps:

Keep ReadingShow less
Keke Palmer attends the 8th Annual American Black Film Festival Honors at SLS Hotel.
Savion Washington/WireImage via Getty Images

Keke Palmer Explains Why She's 'Almost 100% Sure' She's Asexual In Candid Post—And Fans Are Here For Her

Keke Palmer had the internet talking after revealing she is “almost 100 percent sure” that she’s asexual. The Emmy-winning actress shared the revelation in a sultry Valentine’s Day Instagram post featuring a chic pixie cut, a champagne-toned halter corset top, a thin gold necklace, and stud earrings.

But while the photos turned heads, it was her caption that sparked the conversation.

Keep ReadingShow less
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups; Brad Reese's Open Letter to Todd Scott
Julia Ewan/TWP/Getty Images; Brad Reese/LinkedIn

Grandson Of Reese's Founder Shames Hershey Co. For 'Replacing' Candy's Iconic Ingredients In Powerful Open Letter

Brad Reese, the grandson of H.B. Reese, who invented Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, is now speaking up about the quality of the product and his grandfather's original promise: real peanut butter and real milk chocolate.

When H.B. Reese invented the deliciously simple candy, he pointed out that using real ingredients wasn't a marketing tactic for him; it was a promise to the consumer that they knew what they were eating, and that what they were eating was real food.

Keep ReadingShow less
Elon Musk
Harun Ozalp/Anadolu via Getty Images

X User Asks What The First Thing You'd Do If You 'Wake Up As Elon Musk'—And Everyone Had The Same Idea

Billionaire Elon Musk was widely mocked on his own platform after X user @buffys opened a veritable Pandora's box by asking what people would do if they woke up as him one day.

The question was simple:

Keep ReadingShow less