Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Cawthorn Snuck A GOP Candidate Onto The House Floor—And Even Republicans Are Up In Arms

Cawthorn Snuck A GOP Candidate Onto The House Floor—And Even Republicans Are Up In Arms
Committee on Arrangements for the 2020 Republican National Committee/Getty Images

Representative Madison Cawthorn, a Republican who represents North Carolina, is considered a bit of a golden boy among the more hardline conservatives in his party but has left even Republicans up in arms after he snuck a GOP candidate onto the House floor.

Cawthorn likely violated House rules, Republican and Democratic sources said, after he told House security his guest, Tennessee Republican Robby Starbuck, was one of his House staffers.


A Republican lawmaker who spoke toThe Hill on condition of anonymity described having a congressional candidate on the House floor as "very bizarre," adding it is a violation of House rules "without a doubt."

Per House Rule IV, only a limited number of people can set foot inside the House chamber, known as the Hall of the House. These include the President, Vice President, members of Congress, Supreme Court justices, the House Parliamentarian, and select others.

Neither Cawthorn nor Starbuck has returned requests to comment and it is unclear whether Cawthorn will face a penalty or fines.

Cawthorn, who is currently under investigation for the role he potentially played during the January 6 insurrection, was immediately criticized amid concerns about another security breach.










The extent of Cawthorn's alleged involvement in the January 6 insurrection—which took place when a mob of former President Donald Trump's supporters stormed the United States Capitol on the false premise the 2020 election had been stolen—appeared to become clearer following a bombshell report from Rolling Stone.

On Sunday, October 24, Rolling Stone published an article stating several supporters of former President Trump who helped plan the insurrection had multiple planning sessions with senior White House staffers and Republican members of Congress.

Sources who spoke to the magazine said they met with several high-profile Trump acolytes, including Representatives Paul Gosar (Arizona), Marjorie Taylor Greene (Georgia), Lauren Boebert (Colorado) and Cawthorn himself.

Organizers claim Gosar promised "blanket pardons" to anyone who participated in the attack, adding they "would talk to Boebert's team, Cawthorn's team, Gosar's team like back to back to back to back."

Cawthorn also has a history of breaking rules and even carrying weapons, as when he sparked controversy when he was accused of bringing a large knife to a school board meeting in his district.

Cawthorn, who appeared at the school board meeting to protest COVID-19 restrictions and mask mandates, denied the allegations, saying he didn't "know anything about it."

Back in February, Cawthorn was stopped at the Asheville Regional Airport after Transportation Security Administration (TSA) agents discovered an unloaded Glock 9mm handgun and loaded magazine in Cawthorn's carry-on luggage.

Cawthorn's gun was confiscated. He was allowed to retrieve it when he returned to Asheville.

More from Trending

Robot dancing and falling
@ErenChenAI/X

Viral Video Of Robot Dancing Like Michael Jackson Before Crashing Hard On Some Stairs As Crowd Looks On Has The Internet Cackling

Videos of robots absolutely losing their minds in hiliarious ways are starting to become a genre all their own, and the latest entry is one heck of a specimen.

The internet is howling at a video of a robot dancing for a crowd to Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean" before losing its little robot mind when it ran into some stairs.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump
Kent Nishimura/AFP via Getty Images

The White House Just Praised Trump As 'The President Who Does It All'—And Critics Instantly Turned It Around On Them

On Tuesday, May 19, the White House's social media team decided MAGA Republican President Donald Trump needed an ego boost. So the account posted a photo of the POTUS in front of construction taking place at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue for his planned vanity project, an oversized golden ballroom that will dwarf the rest of the White House.

The White House post came just days after Trump shared his own weekend flurry of social media posts praising himself and attacking his perceived enemies.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of JD Vance
@atrupar/X

JD Vance Just Tried To Call Out Democrats' Hypocrisy Over 'No Kings' For A Completely Mind-Numbing Reason

Vice President JD Vance was roasted after he attempted to accuse Democrats of hypocrisy for supporting the "No Kings" movement even as they applauded King Charles during his recent state visit.

King Charles addressed a joint meeting of Congress last month, becoming only the second British monarch to do so after his mother, Queen Elizabeth II, who spoke in 1991. His speech came as Trump has repeatedly criticized British Prime Minister Keir Starmer over Britain’s refusal to back the U.S.-Israeli war on Iran. The broadly unpopular war has only added to Americans' grievances.

Keep ReadingShow less
John Travolta poses during the Propeller One-Way Night Coach photocall at the 79th annual Cannes Film Festival.
JB Lacroix/FilmMagic

John Travolta Just Explained Why He's Wearing His Much-Memed Berets At The Cannes Film Festival—And It Makes Sense

Among the glamorous gowns, tuxedos, and carefully curated red-carpet looks at Cannes, John Travolta somehow managed to steal attention with a collection of berets. After the photos sparked jokes across social media, the actor offered an explanation that is admittedly more researched than most people expected.

Travolta, 72, addressed the now-viral fashion choice during an interview with CNN, revealing that his repeated beret appearances weren't random. While promoting his directorial debut, Propeller One-Way Night Coach, at the film festival, he rotated through black, brown, and cream berets, often pairing them with wire-frame glasses and a neatly trimmed beard.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jake Lang
Ryan Murphy/Getty Images

Washington Nationals Ban Jan. 6 Rioter After He Unfurls White Nationalist Banner Targeting Immigrants During Game

During the Washington Nationals baseball team's game day "Salute to Service" honoring veterans and those currently serving in the military, a racist White nationalist banner was unfurled in the upper deck.

The banner promoted a far-right website and called for someone to "save America" by deporting over 100 million.

Keep ReadingShow less