Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Bukele Trolls Dem Senator By Staging Bizarre 'Margaritas' Photo-Op With Deported Maryland Dad

Nayib Bukele; Chris Van Hollen
Hector Vivas/Getty Images; Andrew Harnik/Getty Images

El Salvadoran President Nayib Bukele shared photos of wrongly-deported Maryland father Kilmar Abrego Garcia meeting with Maryland Democratic Senator Chris Van Hollen on Thursday, claiming the two sipped "margaritas" at a restaurant.

Make us preferred on Google

El Salvadoran President Nayib Bukele trolled Maryland Democratic Senator Chris Van Hollen in a social media post on Thursday, claiming that Van Hollen and wrongly-deported Maryland father Kilmar Abrego Garcia sipped "margaritas" on a restaurant patio after Van Hollen finally secured a meeting.

Abrego Garcia, a Salvadoran national who arrived in the U.S. in 2012, was labeled a threat in 2019 due to an alleged connection to the MS-13 gang. He spent months in detention before an immigration judge found he had a credible fear of persecution—not from MS-13, but from a rival group, Barrio 18, which he said had been extorting his family.


Following that ruling, Abrego Garcia was released and reunited with his wife and son, both U.S. citizens. However, without warning, immigration authorities detained and deported him last month. He has consistently denied any affiliation with MS-13.

The Justice Department has since acknowledged that his removal violated a 2019 court order, calling it an error. Nonetheless, officials maintain they still consider him a threat based on the original allegations and have ignored a Supreme Court order to bring Abrego Garcia back to the U.S.

Van Hollen decided to fly down to El Salvador on Wednesday to check on Abrego Garcia's well-being.

The unusual setting for Van Hollen's meeting with Abrego Garcia appeared to be a pointed response from Bukele to Democrats and others in the U.S. who had spent days speculating that Abrego Garcia might have been injured—or even killed—while in custody at the notorious CECOT mega prison complex.

RELATED: El Salvador President Slammed After Claiming He 'Doesn't Have The Power' To Return Maryland Dad To U.S.

Bukele, boasting of this meeting in "tropical paradise," said on X:

"Kilmar Abrego Garcia, miraculously risen from the ‘death camps’ & ‘torture’, now sipping margaritas with Sen. Van Hollen in the tropical paradise of El Salvador! Now that he’s been confirmed healthy, he gets the honor of staying in El Salvador’s custody.”

You can see his posts and the photos below.

Chris Van Hollen's meeting with Kilmar Abrego GarciaNayib Bukele

Chris Van Hollen's meeting with Kilmar Abrego GarciaNayib Bukele

Chris Van Hollen's meeting with Kilmar Abrego GarciaNayib Bukele

A person familiar with the matter said a Bukele aide deliberately set the two glasses—garnished with cherries and salted rims—in front of Mr. Van Hollen and Mr. Abrego Garcia during their meeting to help stage the photo.

Many have condemned Bukele for the staged photo-op and demanded Abrego Garcia's return.



The in-person meeting followed multiple attempts by Van Hollen to gain access to Abrego Garcia, which he said were denied. On Wednesday, Salvadoran Vice President Félix Ulloa informed the senator that he could neither meet with nor call Abrego Garcia. And during a Thursday interview on All Things Considered, Van Hollen revealed he was stopped by soldiers while en route to the CECOT prison.

That same day, as Van Hollen pressed Salvadoran officials to return Abrego Garcia to the U.S., the White House reinforced its stance against him.

White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said Abrego Garcia would be deported again in the event he is returned. She said "nothing will change the fact that Abrego Garcia will never be a Maryland father, he will never live in the United States of America again."

Leavitt accused Van Hollen of “potentially using taxpayer dollars” to finance his trip and criticized Democrats for backing Abrego Garcia’s release instead of supporting stronger border security measures, which she argued would better protect Americans.

More from News/political-news

Nancy Mace
Heather Diehl/Getty Images

Nancy Mace Called Out For Her Blatant Hypocrisy After Claiming Critics Of Her Tattoos Are 'Out Of Control'

South Carolina Republican Representative Nancy Mace was called out for her own hypocrisy after she complained that conservative critics of her tattoos are "out of control."

Mace recently showed off her heavily tattooed arms for the first time in a series of new videos. She revealed in a February interview with Politico that she had gotten nine tattoos, but had previously kept them hidden, typically wearing long sleeves whenever she appeared in photographs.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Scott Jennings; Jon Ossoff
CNN; Paras Griffin/Getty Images

Scott Jennings Tried To Call Out Jon Ossoff For His 'Sexist Joke' About Trump's Young Aide—And It Didn't Go Well For Him

Conservative CNN commentator Scott Jennings was reminded of President Donald Trump's own misogyny after attacking Georgia Democratic Senator Jon Ossoff over his remarks about Trump's relationship with his aide Natalie Harp.

Last month, Trump reportedly took extraordinary security precautions during a trip to Turkey, secretly switching from Air Force One to a military aircraft after an alleged threat. Although he was publicly seen boarding the presidential jet, he was later transported to the military plane concealed inside a catering truck.

Keep ReadingShow less
Alyson Stoner (left) tearfully remembers their late Kingdom Hearts co-star Hayden Panettiere (right).
@alysonstoner/Instagram; Jamie McCarthy/WireImage

'Kingdom Hearts' Star Breaks Down In Tears Over Co-Star Hayden Panettiere's Death In Heart-Wrenching Video

Hayden Panettiere’s death is weighing heavily on Alyson Stoner, who tearfully remembered the actor.

Panettiere died at age 36 after being found unresponsive on August 16 in Greenville, South Carolina. Authorities responded to a 911 call involving an apparent “overdose” and “cardiac arrest,” though police found no signs of foul play. Her death remains under investigation.

Keep ReadingShow less
Deena Centofanti; Ryan Ermanni
Fox 2 News

Local Fox News Anchor Hilariously Struggles To Recover After Co-Host's Quip About 'Eating Beaver' Sends Him Into Hysterics

When we go to work, we're expected to be professional, but life happens, and sometimes all we can do is laugh.

On Fox 2 News' Good Day Detroit, Ryan Ermanni was speaking to his co-host Deena Centofanti and meteorologist Derek Kevra.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Zohran Mamdani
@NYCMayor/X

Zohran Mamdani Just Spoke Mandarin For A New Video—And The Internet Is Understandably Impressed

The internet is understandably impressed after New York City Mayor Zohran Mamdani shared messages not only in Mandarin, but also in Bengali and Spanish, about his plan to give away over 2,000 free Broadway tickets to high schoolers in the city.

The initiative was launched by Mamdani in partnership with the nonprofit Theatre Development Fund (TDF). Students chosen through a lottery can receive up to two tickets each, with seven Broadway productions included in the program. The lottery opened on August 13 and closed at 10 a.m. on August 17, with winners set to be selected on September 1.

Keep ReadingShow less