Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Trump Just Claimed 'Absolute Immunity' In Jan 6 Lawsuit–And The Mockery Was Swift

Trump Just Claimed 'Absolute Immunity' In Jan 6 Lawsuit–And The Mockery Was Swift
Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images
Make us preferred on Google

Former Republican President Donald Trump's legal team filed an official appeal in the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, asking for immunity from civil lawsuits related to the January 6 insurrection a Trump rally and prior rhetoric incited.

Trump's attorneys made clear Trump seeks the reversal of United States District Judge Amit Mehta's February decision, which says Trump could be held civilly liable over the attack and rejected his request for immunity.


The court filing is Trump's latest attempt to evade accountability for his role in inciting the insurrection, which took place after a White nationalist lead mob of his supporters attacked the United States Capitol on the false premise the 2020 presidential election had been stolen.

The violence that erupted that day left at least five people dead and resulted in over 100 injuries to law enforcement as well as millions of dollars in damages.

You can read Trump's court filing by clicking on the link below.

Trump's attorneys contend that Trump already faced consequences over the attack when the "Democratic-controlled House" impeached him for it. Given that the Senate later acquitted Trump in a 57-43 vote, the legal team said that any further lawsuits would amount to harassment.

Decrying the "hyperbole of violence" in relation to January 6, the legal team claimed Trump "is shielded by absolute presidential immunity" and have requested that the constitutionality of presidential immunity be tested in court.

They wrote:

"President Trump is shielded by absolute presidential immunity because his statements were on matters of public concern and therefore well within the scope of the robust absolute immunity afforded all presidents."

Many have criticized this move as yet another attempt by Trump to obstruct proceedings and not face actual consequences for his role in the attack.



Trump has long suggested that he is protected by executive privilege, which gives Presidents the ability to assert confidentiality and withhold information in the public interest.

He has continued to refuse to comply with the House Select Committee tasked with investigating the insurrection—such as last year, when he declined to submit documentation regarding his mental stability—despite the fact that legal analysts have noted executive privilege does not extend to efforts to stop the certification of an election Democrat Joe Biden won.

Moreover, they have said that executive privilege specifically belongs to the officer-holder: Biden himself.

Last week, the House Select Committee tasked with investigating the insurrection used one hearing to present a cohesive timeline of what Trump did—and did not do—during a crucial 187-minute period while the attack was underway.

The committee said that Trump had shown "complete dereliction of duty" after witnesses testified that he ignored pleas to condemn the violence and call off the mob.

White House officials said that Trump did not make any calls to the Secretary of Defense, the Attorney General or the Secretary of Homeland Security during the attack and that he sat in the dining room and watched the attack on television.

More from People/donald-trump

Screenshots of Tim Pool and Mason
Surrounded/Jubilee

Right-Wing Podcaster Storms Off Debate Show Set After Being Epically Called Out For Grifting Off Of 'Civil War' Claims

Right-wing podcaster Tim Pool was widely mocked after storming off the set of the debate series Surrounded when he was grilled over his constant claims that the United States is tracking towards a "civil war."

Pool recently appeared in Jubilee’s series, where progressive commentator Mason challenged his repeated warnings that the U.S. could be heading toward a “civil war.”

Keep ReadingShow less
Scrreenshot of Jon Ossoff; Donald Trump and Natalie Harp
@Acyn/X; Mandel Ngan/AFP via Getty Images

Jon Ossoff Rips Trump During Speech With Brutal Dig About His Problematic Relationship With Fawning Young Aide

Georgia Democratic Senator Jon Ossoff took aim at President Donald Trump's problematic relationship with his young aide Natalie Harp during a campaign speech on Sunday.

Last month, Trump reportedly took extraordinary security precautions during a trip to Turkey, secretly switching from Air Force One to a military aircraft after an alleged threat. Although he was publicly seen boarding the presidential jet, he was later transported to the military plane concealed inside a catering truck.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots of Donald Trump and John Teichert
Fox News

Trump Just Threatened To 'Bomb The Sh*t Out Of' Oman—And Even Fox News Is Flabbergasted

Even Fox News is stunned after President Donald Trump threatened to "bomb the sh*t out of" Oman if the country "gets in the way" of talks between the U.S. and Iran.

Trump’s remarks came amid stalled U.S.-Iran negotiations and separate talks between Iran and Oman over how commercial shipping could resume through the Strait of Hormuz. Fox News correspondent Trey Yingst reported that Trump warned the U.S. would attack Oman if it interfered with American efforts, though Fox did not release audio of the interview.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Donald Trump speaking at rally
@Acyn/X

MAGA Rally Crowd Applauds After Trump Says He'll 'Never Apologize' For Higher Gas Prices In Surreal Viral Video

President Donald Trump was met with applause from supporters in a surreal moment at a MAGA rally on Long Island, New York, after he told attendees he'd "never apologize" for higher gas costs due to his war with Iran.

A recent Gallup poll found that 55 percent of respondents felt their finances were worsening, a level of pessimism exceeding that seen during both the COVID-19 pandemic and the 2008 financial crisis. This comes as the highly unpopular war in Iran continues to rage, sending gas prices surging. Americans have spent an additional $59 billion on fuel since Trump launched the war.

Keep ReadingShow less