Most Read

News

TikTok Doctor Shows What Swallowing A Battery Can Do To Your Body In Eye-Opening Video

@tonyyounmd/TikTok

Children—and some adults—will put just about anything in their mouths.

A serious hazard are small batteries like those found in watches, cameras, hearing aids and other small devices. On average 3,500 button type batteries are ingested per year with shocking results.

Popular TikTok doctor, Dr. Anthony Youn—screenname @tonyyounmd—uploaded a video to demonstrate what exactly happens to the body when someone swallows a battery.

@tonyyounmd

Why You Shouldn’t Swallow a Battery! #learnontiktok #tiktokpartner #battery #batteryacid #experiment

In the video aptly described as "Why You Shouldn't Swallow a Battery!" Dr. Youn uses a piece of ham to represent the esophageal tissue and water drops on top of the battery to imitate saliva.

At the two hour mark Dr. Youn pulls back the ham to reveal how the battery has reacted.

It's not pretty.

@tonyyounmd/TikTok

At the three hour mark Youn revealed the battery had nearly eaten through the slice of ham.

Just imagine what it would do to sensitive living tissue.

@tonyyounmd/TikTok

The internet doing what it does best found jokes in a potentially serious situation with some colorful commentary.

@tonyyounmd/TikTok


@tonyyounmd/TikTok


@tonyyounmd/TikTok


@tonyyounmd/TikTok


@tonyyounmd/TikTok

Amongst the jokes Dr. Youn added a more serious note.

"I know I joke a lot here, but this isn't a joke."
"Make sure to keep batteries away from children and pets."
"Can be so dangerous!"

@tonyyounmd/TikTok

The risk is more significant for young children and pets as the batteries can become stuck in their smaller throat leaking toxic chemicals, causing burns and irreversible damage.

Best to keep batteries inaccessible just in case.